Have you ever made something that you now absolutely hate ?

Uiaad

GBAtemp's resident guinea pig
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So the other day I was googling myself and stumbled back across a flash animation I made back in 2006 and I made the mistake of watching it.
Oh.My.GOD! It was even worse than I remember and it wasn't exactly fantastic in my memory. Just everything about it is just horrible. And the worst part is ... I can't even delete it as i no longer remember the password or have the original email address !

Anyway have you ever created something that years later you hate ?

Edit :: it was 2004 not 6 as I thought :/ not sure if this is better or worse haha

Last edited by Uiaad,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Most things are representative of where I was at in terms of whatever at those points in time.

I don't particularly know what to do or think about things when I was a child -- was what I made when I was 9 as good as what I can do now after decades of engineering, repair and fabrication training, practice and pondering (to say nothing of the huge advances in technology, or at least affordable technology)? Of course not, or at least I hope not as it would have been an awful waste otherwise. To that end anybody that wants to hold it up and say "that is representative of the dude otherwise known as FAST6191" is rather foolish. Equally I can safely say I internalised the new york times rule (never say anything online/in text that you would not be happy having printed on the front page of the new york times) early on enough that I am unlikely to be troubled by that.

An example might be my earliest attempt at my ROM hacking docs. It was about a year after I took it up in earnest, however I was still seeing a lot of "ooh it is crazy hard" when actually no. Some things were, and still are (and sometimes, this side of crazy AI, always will be), but almost anybody of vague technical competence could achieve real and desirable outcomes. For example basic sprite edits, colour changes, in the case of the GBA and DS then music tweaks, maybe a phrase change, cheats like infinite consumables. in the case of the DS file system manipulation does a lot for you (most games don't care what order they load the levels in so rename the final level to level 1's name and you have a level swap hack, if you can extract and compress a zip you can unpack and repack a DS ROM).
Some years later I had learned an awful awful lot more and basically did a full rewrite, this time including many of the more advanced techniques, though no small number of refined and "try it anyway" methods as well.
The earlier version however is still out there (I did not make any effort to rehost it when various hosts shut me down for whatever reason, but at the same time could have blocked it easily enough, and still actually could) and for me right now is so laughably basic, and not necessarily wrong but if you did read it then you might come away thinking some things are harder than they either are or have since be made, that I hope nobody uses it to try to learn hacking. For the rewrite I did however quickly learn the need to at least play editor for myself and spent the following 24 hours after its initial release doing as such, said early version you will be somewhat hard pressed to find but it is functionally identical. Speaking of 24 hours then around that time I also instituted a rule for myself that I try not to put anything on the front page of this site after midnight, especially not trying to watch all the e3 presentations live and summarise them thereafter (UK time is 8 hours ahead of west coast US, if these things are happening until evening time there and tedious enough to bore me to sleep anyway...). Suffice it to say my normally scattered approach to writing (I will usually write one paragraph, jump to another, expand a concept in an earlier paragraph, jump to another and finally finish everything off) really did fail me then. Also it meant I did not get to see the series finale of game of thrones with my family on the normal day as I was watching e3 instead.
I actually gave up watching e3 entirely after that, I was planning a "2 weeks later, watching them on my own time" thing and even have some notes somewhere from those. However I think it was still the now apparently considered classic (I still remember the big three hardware makers being it) of ubisoft, ea, ms, sony, nintendo lineup, konami might have had something as well, and even with 2x speed and the ability to skip the sports games and on stage nonsense I got about 40% of the way through EA's conference and had lost the will to live. It was not just EA either and ubisoft had laid the groundwork.

At the same time it is very rare that I share anything. I once heard a story relayed of someone that liked making videos as a kid. They would record them onto VHS tapes and then a few months later record over them when they ran out of other tapes. I also actually really like playing with video and I still do the virtual equivalent of that -- it would be trivial for me to upload things but I don't. Make them, watch them for myself, then delete them and usually the source material. That said I did find my video for the switch press event thing and was considering a "from the archives" type session. The other side of that is I learned many years ago that nobody cares what I do, see also

Some might say doing such things is limiting, and in all likelihood they are right. I am OK with that though. My image editing skills have improved massively as well but unlike text and video the internet is OK with the sort of crappy images I had made back then.

Choice videos at this point

Reactions: Uiaad

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Most of the earliest attempts at anything is really bad. I hate and like it at the same time though, because it really shows how you made progress.

Other than that, a lot of my actions and decisions over the course of my existence. I really, really hate many things I did, and I honestly wish I could go back in time and slap myself asking "what the fuck is wrong with you?!"

Uiaad

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Most of the earliest attempts at anything is really bad. I hate and like it at the same time though, because it really shows how you made progress.

Other than that, a lot of my actions and decisions over the course of my existence. I really, really hate many things I did, and I honestly wish I could go back in time and slap myself asking "what the fuck is wrong with you?!"

Oh I can completely agree with you the first attempts at anything are always poor and I forgive my flash animation for being poor in the animation department, As i learned how to do everything in 2 weeks just by playing around. However what I can't forgive is the script. The word cringey doesn't even back in the day really doesn't do it justice. Even back then I was capable so much more.

Reactions: VinsCool

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know if I can quite get behind "first attempts are poor". No argument in the slightest that many do experience such a thing but at the same time it can depend upon what you learned and how you learn things*.
Most of my life has been about learning basic skills for everything and reasoning behind things. I once saw it phrased as "understand the science of the level above the thing you are doing and them**" and that works. I usually go with if I ever encounter a trade where I can not steal that trade's bread and butter then I found the next thing I am learning.
Somewhat curiously I have met some people that get seriously seriously upset*** at that being my approach to life, even more so when it also manifests as me having a go at building or fixing just about anything. I have never quite figured out what causes that world view (at best it is a complex series of factors but I shall save that for another post) but I do pity those that suffer it, which tends to only aggravate them.

Indeed the "what I can't forgive is the script" is something of a symptom of that concept.

*a phrase I encountered when learning to drive is "right is right but physics is physics" (or technically you have right of way there but that is a truck that weighs multiple times this car). As however I have spent many years learning how basically everything works then I tend not to encounter too much trouble in something based there. Similar story for creative stuff, though there are least I tend to get people to call someone else "to make it look pretty".

**if you are a car mechanic I would expect you to understand not only how to change an oil filter on my car but the theory of operation of the oil system, its failure modes and more besides. The former type does exist, in UK parlance it is known as a fitter (the US uses different terms for levels in that trade), but I don't use them. About the only use in find is them making more work for mechanics when they do stuff like break a wheel speed sensor when changing a wheel because they don't understand the setup.

***I am not good at emotions, be it having them or being able to naturally intuit them. So I went and learned/was somewhat forcibly taught microexpressions, body language and associated aspects of psychology. Said people experience the more extreme emotions there.

BlueFox gui

SOMEONE
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
to be honest i can't think about anything i did i really hate, but i understand you on the flash animation parts XD
i did a lot of bad animations when i was younger but i don't hate or feel shame on them, it was what i knew at time, today it just shows how i improved with time, same for my old weird drawings, but looking back at my old drawings some of them aren't so bad, i guess i don't have something i really hate

Reactions: Uiaad

Uiaad

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is that bad I wouldn't subject you I wouldn't dare subject anyone to it today haha.

I can only remember part of how it came about. I remember being out drinking and someone betting me I couldn't learn flash in 2 weeks without using any tutorials, but that's about it. I remember starting a sequel to it too and getting about half way through and losing everything to hard drive going bad. Bit of a shame really as i remember the second part being quite a lot better. I remember it having a framerate better than 5fps at least haha

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: good morning everyone