Hacking Haxchi doesn't work to run homebrew on first launch - Mocha CFW required.

bengalih

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I recently setup my WiiU and initially was using Mocha for a couple days.
Had no problems launching anything, but wanted to move to Haxchi for a "fewer click" experience.
Everything seemed to be working fine, but I tried to use 2 new pieces of homebrew I installed from the HB App Store.
These were "Menu Sort" and "ddd".
I tired to load each of these several times and each time they simply presented a black screen for a few seconds and then returned to HBL.
However, if I launch them using Mocha via the web exploit they installed without issue.
After launching them once in this manner they appear to work find under Haxchi.

Any ideas?

Also - I setup my WiiU using this guide:
https://wiiu.hacks.guide/

So any questions about the rest of my config, defer to that.

thanks

Last edited by bengalih,
D

Deleted-236924

Does it work if you boot haxchi first, and then enter hbl with the key combo? Because I suspect that if you boot hbl directly without first loading haxchi, then you are running hbl without cfw being active.

That being said haxchi has always been a bit wonky for me with some homebrew, but you can boot mocha with haxchi's hbl shortcut. Don't need to go use the browser. It's only one additional click after loading hbl, and only takes a few seconds. Way more reliable than the browser exploit too, anyway.

bengalih

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does it work if you boot haxchi first, and then enter hbl with the key combo? Because I suspect that if you boot hbl directly without first loading haxchi, then you are running hbl without cfw being active.

I assume you mean if I have like a combo setup for Haxchi where if I hold down "a" it boots right to HBL instead of sysmenu?
I haven't tried that, although I did consider it. This is why I don't think that's the issue:
As I mention, the issue only occurs on first launch of a new homebrew app. After I launch it one time, I am able to launch it fine by loading HBL after Haxchi boots into sysmenu. If cfw wasn't active then it wouldn't even be able to load HBL AFAIK, let alone launch the app properly.

That being said haxchi has always been a bit wonky for me with some homebrew, but you can boot mocha with haxchi's hbl shortcut. Don't need to go use the browser. It's only one additional click after loading hbl, and only takes a few seconds. Way more reliable than the browser exploit too, anyway.

Just want to clarify here. Which one do you mean:
1) Launch Haxchi and then enter HBL via either a combo shortcut (as discussed above) or by simply running HBL from sysmenu and then launch Mocha from within HBL.
or
2) Make a combo shortcut to launch Mocha directly from Haxchi.
?

I've read a lot of posts about people launching Mocha from within Haxchi and even having to launch Mocha multiple times. My understanding in 2020 is that that if you have Haxchi installed into a DS title you simply need to launch it once when you boot your console. After that there should be no reason to boot Haxchi or Mocha again until you shut your system down.
This is indeed what I have experienced, but this strange issue that seems to require Mocha on just the first run (ever) of a homebrew.

bengalih

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need mocha cfw when you have haxchi installed. Click on the icon after powering on the console and have fun with a patched sysnand.

Yes, that's my understanding and has worked fine for me with the exception of above.
I'm not sure if I can recreate the issue. I deleted ddd from my sdcard and reinstalled from the HB App store.
On first launch after install I got just the black screen again.
After rebooting my console and launching Haxchi it then loaded.
This is in contrast to my first time running it when it wouldn't load in Haxchi after 3 attempts and only after Mocha was loaded would it run the first time. All subsequent loads worked fine from either.

Don't know, and even if I needed to run Mocha once every time the first time I ran a homebrew isn't a big deal, just wanted to know if anyone else experienced it and if there was a known reason.

dojafoja

life elevated
Trophies
XP
Country
You need to launch Haxchi in CFW mode first, then launch Haxchi again in HBL. If you used the custom config.txt provided in the Get Started section of the guide you linked then you would launch Haxchi once without holding any buttons down. Then after it returns back to the system menu you launch Haxchi again, when the Haxchi splash screen appears hold A until you are in HBL. This all assumes you used the custom config.txt provided in the guide. If you used the official config.txt from the Haxch repo then you hold B to launch in CFW mode and launch it without holding any buttons down to access HBL.

bengalih

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to launch Haxchi in CFW mode first, then launch Haxchi again in HBL. If you used the custom config.txt provided in the Get Started section of the guide you linked then you would launch Haxchi once without holding any buttons down. Then after it returns back to the system menu you launch Haxchi again, when the Haxchi splash screen appears hold A until you are in HBL. This all assumes you used the custom config.txt provided in the guide. If you used the official config.txt from the Haxch repo then you hold B to launch in CFW mode and launch it without holding any buttons down to access HBL.

Sorry, but this doesn't make any sense to me. It is also in contrast to what many people have said. To be fair, what you are saying has also been said by others, but it doesn't really mesh with a) what I see and b) what makes intuitive sense.

If I run Haxchi one time and it boots back to the system menu, and then from the system menu I run the HBL Channel (which the guide has installed), shouldn't the HBL Channel be running patched since it was loaded from the system menu?
I would argue that it *must be*, because if it wasn't, how would I be able to run anything from it - which I can clearly do?

That being said...if you don't install the channel, then you might be correct as you would have to have somehow to launch the HB Launcher.

Now this being said it does seem that if on your "first" launch of Haxchi you choose to launch something other than sysmenu. For instance you launch HBL or WUP directly, then when you exit out of those to sysmenu you would be unpatched from there. But if your first launch is sysmenu, then anything you launch from there should be patched.

This seems to be inline with what the guide states, so I don't really understand any of these posts (including yours) which say you need multiple launches of Haxchi.

If I'm wrong, then please show me why/how :)

thanks.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you check the content of the config.txt file, you will see something like that:

a=fw.img
b=sysmenu
default=wiiu/apps/homebrew_launcher/homebrew_launcher.elf

You can modify this. Switch around 'b' and 'default', so it would read like this:

a=fw.img
default=sysmenu
b=wiiu/apps/homebrew_launcher/homebrew_launcher.elf

Save your modification, then re-install haxchi. Now, when you just tap the Haxchi icon, you will load the CFW. If you want to go into Homebrew launcher, tap the icon again, and hold the 'b' button until the homebrew launcher appear. Other buttons can also be used as shortcuts to some other homebrew apps.

bengalih

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you check the content of the config.txt file, you will see something like that:

Thanks - I'm aware of this...and this isn't really the issue I was seeing.
It wasn't that I had any issue running these apps under Haxchi using my methods, it is that they were simply failing to run until I first ran them once under Mocha *once*. Not *once* per everytime loading mocha, just *once* ever. Let me be very clear as it seems a couple people in this thread were not understanding me.

Boot Process A:
  • Boot to system
  • Run Haxchi
  • Run HBL Channel
  • Run "ddd"
Boot Process B:
  • Boot to system
  • Run Haxchi
  • Run HBL Channel
  • Run Mocha (boots back to HBL)
  • Run "ddd"
If I ran Boot Process A, ddd would fail to load (just a quick black screen). It would do this no matter how many times I restarted my console (I tried 3x). Then I tried Boot Process B and ddd ran.
After that *one time*, I am now able to run it using Boot Process A.

So it isn't that Boot Process A doesn't work, it just didn't want to work until I used Mocha once to run the app.
Doesn't make sense to me, and in the long run not a big deal as it is a once per app issue if it happens.
I just wanted to understand if there was a legitimate reason why I might see this.

thanks

bengalih

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I recently setup my WiiU and initially was using Mocha for a couple days.
Had no problems launching anything, but wanted to move to Haxchi for a "fewer click" experience.
Everything seemed to be working fine, but I tried to use 2 new pieces of homebrew I installed from the HB App Store.
These were "Menu Sort" and "ddd".
I tired to load each of these several times and each time they simply presented a black screen for a few seconds and then returned to HBL.
However, if I launch them using Mocha via the web exploit they installed without issue.
After launching them once in this manner they appear to work find under Haxchi.

Any ideas?

Also - I setup my WiiU using this guide:
https://wiiu.hacks.guide/

So any questions about the rest of my config, defer to that.

thanks

So I think I might have a reason to what happened. This is thanks to @Elpunical on the HB Discord channel.
It seems that if you run an .rpx based Homebrew then all other (non .rpx) homebrew will fail to launch until you reboot.
I just tested this and after I run the App Store .rpx I get a quick black flash of a screen when trying to run something else.

This is what I saw when trying to run ddd and Menu sort, which I both installed from the store.

I *thought* that I totally restarted my console in between some attempts, but it now seems feasible that I simply exited HBL and then launched it again several times. Perhaps my test running Mocha first happened after I did a full restart. Therefore it wasn't Mocha that fixed it, it was simply that I didn't run the store prior.

This is the only explanation that makes sense other than some transient weirdness that will likely never be explained.

Thanks.

Reactions: Dust2dust

Elpunical

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So I think I might have a reason to what happened. This is thanks to @Elpunical on the HB Discord channel.
It seems that if you run an .rpx based Homebrew then all other (non .rpx) homebrew will fail to launch until you reboot.
I just tested this and after I run the App Store .rpx I get a quick black flash of a screen when trying to run something else.

This is what I saw when trying to run ddd and Menu sort, which I both installed from the store.

I *thought* that I totally restarted my console in between some attempts, but it now seems feasible that I simply exited HBL and then launched it again several times. Perhaps my test running Mocha first happened after I did a full restart. Therefore it wasn't Mocha that fixed it, it was simply that I didn't run the store prior.

This is the only explanation that makes sense other than some transient weirdness that will likely never be explained.

Thanks.
Note that the issue with .rpx homebrews only happens when using the homebrew launcher channel 2.1.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Only 666 dollars for 24TBs lol