Hacking Official Haxchi v2.5u2 - a persistent WiiU hack

Nimrod-002

Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
before backing up my SYSNAND.
everytime I load haxchii it get stuck on a black screen which says -3, how do I overcome this problem?
i got that error on haxchi when i tried load homebrew from sd while its ejected.
try reinstalling haxchi but make sure all necessary files are present.

Elliander

Trophies
Website
elliander.etherealspheres.com
XP
Country
United States
I am on 5.5.1U and used the browser exploit to run homebrew launcher then NNU patcher to purchase Brain Age from the eShop. However, when I went to install Haxchi I got:

"MCP Hook Could not be opened"

So I deleted and redownloaded, and also restarted, but got the same error again. I even tried downloading Haxchi from the appstore in the homebrew launcher, but that didn't make a difference either.

Can anyone explain what could cause that error, and what steps I could otherwise take to go through it?

Tri-Z

Tri z
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am on 5.5.1U and used the browser exploit to run homebrew launcher then NNU patcher to purchase Brain Age from the eShop. However, when I went to install Haxchi I got:

So I deleted and redownloaded, and also restarted, but got the same error again. I even tried downloading Haxchi from the appstore in the homebrew launcher, but that didn't make a difference either.

Can anyone explain what could cause that error, and what steps I could otherwise take to go through it?

Do u have any usb devices plugged in? If so try and remove and install.
And how far did you get. Did haxchi open and chose game to install to and then it failed.
Oh make sure the ds game is on NAND and not usb. I guess that would go along with my first suggestion

Last edited by Tri-Z,

Elliander

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Do u have any usb devices plugged in? If so try and remove and install.
And how far did you get. Did haxchi open and chose game to install to and then it failed.
Oh make sure the ds game is on NAND and not usb. I guess that would go along with my first suggestion

No USB drives, just the Wii U GameCube adapter plugged into the front. Although I thought the issue was just that I needed to make sure it was on the internal drive, so USB peripherals shouldn't matter, right?

When I launch the Haxchi installer from Homebrew launcher it does open and lists one game - Brain Age. I press A with it selected, then it gives me another message. Then I press A again and it says it's running an IOSU exploit and then immediately after that it says:

I wasn't sure what it meant, so I took a look at the source code (oddly, there's no Main function, but found int Menu_Main(void) which I'm assuming to be equivalent. Correct me if I'm wrong.) and if I am reading this correctly, it must be opening MCP successfully since it has multiple functions related to getting the list of games such as MCP_Open(); and it does that no problem. The actual error message I see is generated on line 395, when MCPHookOpen < 0 and then jumps to prgEnd. So I took a look at MCPHookOpen, and apparently it will be less than 0 if(IOSUHAX_Open("/dev/mcp") < 0) and I'm still trying to trace it from there, since IOSUHAX is in quite a few areas of code, but reasonably it seems that the problem is related to the IOSU exploit not mounting correctly so I can reasonably be sure that I should be looking in exploit.c for that functionality, but while I am familiar with ASM and C, I have no experience writing what I see there so not sure how to trace what's going on from there. Because there's a problem with the exploit, the code catches that with an error message and aborts early to avoid damage to the system.

So should I be using a different payload, perhaps, when running the browser exploit than what I'd normally use to access homebrew browser? What other steps could I be taking to troubleshoot? In the mean time I'll try running it again without the Wii U Gamecube adapter just in case that's the problem and report back either way.

EDIT: Removing all USB peripherals didn't make a difference, so then I tried playing Brain Age to generate a save file (which sucked, btw. It consistently misunderstands what numbers are written, for example it always thinks a 7 is a zero) then rebooted and tried again, but no difference. Then I figured I'd try a different kexploit. I was using Kexploit10, so I tried Kexploit31 and it all worked the same way, which likewise resulted in the same outcome trying to install Haxchi.

Would it help to try installing Mocha first? Alternatively, is it possible that the 5.5.1U I see in system settings is no accurate? Last time I messed around with modding was over 2 years ago, so is it possible that I spoofed the firmware and just don't recall? in which case how would I go about checking that if not in system settings?

Last edited by Elliander,

Tri-Z

Tri z
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No USB drives, just the Wii U GameCube adapter plugged into the front. Although I thought the issue was just that I needed to make sure it was on the internal drive, so USB peripherals shouldn't matter, right?

When I launch the Haxchi installer from Homebrew launcher it does open and lists one game - Brain Age. I press A with it selected, then it gives me another message. Then I press A again and it says it's running an IOSU exploit and then immediately after that it says:

I wasn't sure what it meant, so I took a look at the source code (oddly, there's no Main function, but found int Menu_Main(void) which I'm assuming to be equivalent. Correct me if I'm wrong.) and if I am reading this correctly, it must be opening MCP successfully since it has multiple functions related to getting the list of games such as MCP_Open(); and it does that no problem. The actual error message I see is generated on line 395, when MCPHookOpen < 0 and then jumps to prgEnd. So I took a look at MCPHookOpen, and apparently it will be less than 0 if(IOSUHAX_Open("/dev/mcp") < 0) and I'm still trying to trace it from there, since IOSUHAX is in quite a few areas of code, but reasonably it seems that the problem is related to the IOSU exploit not mounting correctly so I can reasonably be sure that I should be looking in exploit.c for that functionality, but while I am familiar with ASM and C, I have no experience writing what I see there so not sure how to trace what's going on from there. Because there's a problem with the exploit, the code catches that with an error message and aborts early to avoid damage to the system.

So should I be using a different payload, perhaps, when running the browser exploit than what I'd normally use to access homebrew browser? What other steps could I be taking to troubleshoot? In the mean time I'll try running it again without the Wii U Gamecube adapter just in case that's the problem and report back either way.

EDIT: Removing all USB peripherals didn't make a difference, so then I tried playing Brain Age to generate a save file (which sucked, btw. It consistently misunderstands what numbers are written, for example it always thinks a 7 is a zero) then rebooted and tried again, but no difference. Then I figured I'd try a different kexploit. I was using Kexploit10, so I tried Kexploit31 and it all worked the same way, which likewise resulted in the same outcome trying to install Haxchi.

Would it help to try installing Mocha first? Alternatively, is it possible that the 5.5.1U I see in system settings is no accurate? Last time I messed around with modding was over 2 years ago, so is it possible that I spoofed the firmware and just don't recall? in which case how would I go about checking that if not in system settings?

Have you tried using a different sd card even?
I can’t remember if I dl my haxchi or if I ran it from the browser hax site. I had done it when it first came out. So my memory of install is faded
But if ur ds game is on nand and works
I say check and make sure sd card is issue free
Maybe go in hb App Store on Wii U and I think there’s a sig patch2hb launcher app maybe run that b4 run haxchi install

Also what hd launcher r u using? The .elf file one

Last edited by Tri-Z,

Elliander

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried using a different sd card even?
I can’t remember if I dl my haxchi or if I ran it from the browser hax site. I had done it when it first came out. So my memory of install is faded
But if ur ds game is on nand and works
I say check and make sure sd card is issue free
Maybe go in hb App Store on Wii U and I think there’s a sig patch2hb launcher app maybe run that b4 run haxchi install

Also what hd launcher r u using? The .elf file one

No issues with the sd card. I have no problems with using it in vWii mode, and I have used it with SD game loading of WiiU games. The homebrew launcher I am using is actually 2 years old because for whatever reason the latest version doesn't work at all for me, at least when I put it on the sd card manually. I'll check the app store for that though.

I also tried deleting the ds game and reinstalling while nothing was plugged into any USB port (not that it even could use the USB drive for installing since that's formatted for Wii and Gamecube games) and restarted the console and ran kexploit10 again and then tried installing haxchi again and ran into the same error. It's definitely on internal nand, and definitely runs , but so far I just can't seem to get haxchi to install. I also tried running Mocha first, which made no difference.

EDIT: Although I was able to install the latest version of HBC (as well as a few alternatives in separate tries), and was able to run Haxchi installer from it, the problem remains. Additionally, the newest version of HBC resulted in Loadmii not working anymore so I'm going to manually restore the old version I have in backups.

I'm running out of ideas on how to troubleshoot this.

EDIT 2: I see now a big difference between versions of HB Launcher:

"New payloads (a.k.a. MP4 files on browser exploit) are required for it to be able to load RPX files. Old payloads are still compatible but will only work with ELF files."

However, I've never managed to get the MP4 files to work. Of course, both haxchii and loadmii use .elf files and haxchi does run so this doesn't seem like the source of my problem.

Last edited by Elliander,

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is it possible that the 5.5.1U I see in system settings is no accurate?
If you read your own older posts, you can see that you spoofed from something in the 5.3.2 era to 5.5.0, then again from the spoofed 5.5.0 to spoofed 5.5.1.

Remove any DNS blocking you might have, and update manually to 5.5.2 using the regular system settings app. Then use one of the 5.5.2-specific sites for your browser hack (might take several tries) and get into HBL. From there, install Haxchi.

Elliander

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
If you read your own older posts, you can see that you spoofed from something in the 5.3.2 era to 5.5.0, then again from the spoofed 5.5.0 to spoofed 5.5.1.

Remove any DNS blocking you might have, and update manually to 5.5.2 using the regular system settings app. Then use one of the 5.5.2-specific sites for your browser hack (might take several tries) and get into HBL. From there, install Haxchi.

hmm. I forgot about that, but suspected that could be the issue. So what is given up, if anything, by updating to 5.5.2U? Is there any drawback to upgrading now? Are there any precautions I should be taking? This could explain why I couldn't get the MP4 exploits to work.

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm. I forgot about that, but suspected that could be the issue. So what is given up, if anything, by updating to 5.5.2U? Is there any drawback to upgrading now? Are there any precautions I should be taking? This could explain why I couldn't get the MP4 exploits to work.
You miss out on 5.5.1's very reliable web exploit, but you're going to install Haxchi anyway, so you only need to get the 5.5.2 exploit to work one time. Since 5.5.2 is currently the latest, you'll have the advantage of not needing to use NNUPatcher to update your games or to use eshop.

Tri-Z

Tri z
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

There’s a few dif versions of hb launcher. For ether elf or rpx then there’s channels. But yeh if you are on a lower firm then 5.5.1 then thats the problem. 5.5.2 is fine too just the browser exploit may take more attempts to trigger. Lucky that other user remembered seeing u mentioned ur firmware spoofed as I only saw u said on 5.5.1 in System settings

mohhaxs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry to bring up an old thread, but Haxchi was running fine for me months back and it still does with my 16gb SD card. I now bought a 32gb card, copied all the files exactly how they were to the SD card, and I am getting a -5 error upon booting up Haxchi with the new 32gb sd card. The new SD card I have is FAT32 format just like my old one, the only difference is that this new SD card is a microSD with an adapter whereas my old one is a full size SD. Would anyone know why I would be getting the -5 haxchi error?

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
sorry to bring up an old thread, but Haxchi was running fine for me months back and it still does with my 16gb SD card. I now bought a 32gb card, copied all the files exactly how they were to the SD card, and I am getting a -5 error upon booting up Haxchi with the new 32gb sd card. The new SD card I have is FAT32 format just like my old one, the only difference is that this new SD card is a microSD with an adapter whereas my old one is a full size SD. Would anyone know why I would be getting the -5 haxchi error?
-5 means it can't find what it's trying to boot.
There's two possibilities:
  1. Your SD card is not compatible (not a joke, many users had many SD cards which sucked).
  2. You did not format it to 32 or 64 k cluster size FAT32.

Reactions: mohhaxs

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As others have said. Whatever your config.txt file inside of your haxchi folder on the sd said at the time of HaxChi install is what it can't find.

1. Take out your sd card and get it to read on a pc.
2. Look at the file config.txt inside of your haxchi folder.
3. Post the contents of that file here.

Whatever default= is set to is what HaxChi can't find on the sd card when you tap it

Reactions: mohhaxs

toxic9

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi!

I have replaced on haxchi vc game (brain age) these files with the files from Haxchi channel installer:
bootDrcTex.tga
bootTvTex.tga
iconTex.tga
bootLogoTex.tga

But Haxchi channel installer also contains 2 adicional files.
I would like to ask FIX94 if it safe to also upload "bootLogoTex.tga" and "bootMovie.h264".
I don't know if brain age have these files. Will it replace them or create them?
Will they be used for something?
Will they destroy my brain age install?
Can I delete them by FTP if I change my mind in the future?

Thanks!

tastymeatball

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just test your things on a normal Haxchi Installation and if something goes wrong just uninstall Haxchi/Brain Age from System Settings and reinstall it.

toxic9

Trophies
XP
Country
It does nothing, because haxchi installer ignores these two files.
Is it possible for FIX94 includes replacing these two extra files and make a new haxchi installer revision please?
Thank you very much.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one