Hacking Help needed for cracking animation files from Puyo Puyo games.

ArMM1998

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Hello GBATemp! :)
I have been hard at work trying to crack down animation files in Puyo Puyo games for the PSP specifically (.snc). (however the file format is roughly the same on other consoles like PS2 and Wii).
I've been told Shdow The Hedgehog uses the same type of animation format as Puyo Puyo games.

My goal is to be able to understand the animation files enough to create some sort of animation editor software.
This would help me immensely with my overhaul project for Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary.

Here is a document detailing almost all of what i've been able to find out:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1H6TXhALVB6Gg65SsK4-vH_26TEvYcrm_fITDcgucq54/

So far what i've been able to do with all this info is grabbing an existing animation file and then poking at the file in ram until i get a result that looks remotely like what i want.
This is not at all feasible. It takes at least 3 hours to get one animation to look somewhat decent, and it's very limiting on what i can actually achieve.

Here you can see two characters using reused animations i was able to adap by altering the file with a hex editor:

This works fine for some characters, but ideally i'd prefer creating brand new custom animations.

So, I realized that, while i've been able to find out a lot, there's still so many (seemingly) minor details that are completely unknown to me, and i think it's gonna be very difficult for me to get all of the information i want by myself.
So i decided to create this post in the hopes that someone familiar with reverse-engeneering file formats could be interested enough to help me out crack these down!

This is game is my first time getting into any kind of serious modding and i wasn't sure where i could ask for help, so I apologize if this is not the place either.

Edit: I realized i should probably provide a sample file.

Attachments

• maguro.zip
    216 KB · Views: 54
Last edited by ArMM1998,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Y @ YuseiFD: :creep: