OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
download source from github
use cdn_firm.py download files you must need for nightly

I think you dont have firm folder in /rxtools/

I have that, am running exactly same version as friend on here, with exact same setup

I think only thing i can do, is start again from scratch but go back to older build of rxtools

peteruk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Quick update.... I never found a way to fix the black squares, i started completely from scratch (again) and have gone back to rxTools 10/02 and all is good

So for the time being i will live without Devmode/Pastamode and will wait on the final release coming soon(tm) :D

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
FWIW, I had a similar issue when I first started using rxtools. I didn't know better at the time and dived into sysnand destination nand and deleted what I thought must be the offending title. It worked but knowing what I know now I can't believe I took such a silly risk rather than just ignore it.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick update.... I never found a way to fix the black squares, i started completely from scratch (again) and have gone back to rxTools 10/02 and all is good

So for the time being i will live without Devmode/Pastamode and will wait on the final release coming soon(tm) :D
tho its not a true solution (the improper files are still there just not loaded up) but we can both hope for a more stable release in the future . . . soon(tm)

Reactions: peteruk

peteruk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
tho its not a true solution (the improper files are still there just not loaded up) but we can both hope for a more stable release in the future . . . soon(tm)

I would love (obviously) to know what those 2 files are, the only files i have ever tinkered with was when i originally used GW a year ago (before selling it) to downgrade MSET but that should not affect anything

The only other thing i did was install the latest Nver and Cver files in emuNAND to spoof eShop on a previous build which worked well, but was nowhere near my sysNAND

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Did you use sysupdater or anything like that? It's the only other thing I can think of where something might've gone wrong, but luckily not fatally so.

D

Deleted-236924

I had a similar issue when I first installed rxTools on mine. Highly unlikely anything had been installed to sysnand. I bought it used from a mother of two children who had bought them brand new two years ago, the kids used them for about a year then stopped using them. Really doubt they know about any of that .cia installing stuff and CFWs and all.

It was on sysnand 6.2.0-10U (they both were, presumably updated via game card.) I formatted emunand with GW Launcher and it had three black boxes showing when booted in rxTools. Those icons disappeared once I updated my emunand to 10.2.
None of the icons showed up as a wrapped gift box, they just showed up as black boxes right away and no more has been heard about them ever since I updated emunand.

I've since then updated sysnand to 9.2.0-20U, I believe I've formatted emunand again but those boxes weren't there. Just for fun I'll system format my emunand in system settings to get rid of the stuff on it, and use GW Launcher to format emunand, see if it has those black boxes.

Last edited by ,

peteruk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Did you use sysupdater or anything like that? It's the only other thing I can think of where something might've gone wrong, but luckily not fatally so.

i never used it on sysNAND as my N3DS came shipped with 9.0, i only ever upgraded with emuNAND to 9.5

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I had a similar issue when I first installed rxTools on mine. Highly unlikely anything had been installed to sysnand. I bought it used from a mother of two children who had bought them brand new two years ago, the kids used them for about a year then stopped using them. Really doubt they know about any of that .cia installing stuff and CFWs and all.

It was on sysnand 6.2.0-10U (they both were, presumably updated via game card.) I formatted emunand with GW Launcher and it had three black boxes showing when booted in rxTools. Those icons disappeared once I updated my emunand to 10.2.
None of the icons showed up as a wrapped gift box, they just showed up as black boxes right away and no more has been heard about them ever since I updated emunand.

I've since then updated sysnand to 9.2.0-20U, I believe I've formatted emunand again but those boxes weren't there. Just for fun I'll system format my emunand in system settings to get rid of the stuff on it, and use GW Launcher to format emunand, see if it has those black boxes.

Haha a very interesting idea :)

The trouble for me is i cannot update any further than 9.5 in my sysNAND to test the theory, the only thing i could do is format my emuNAND to bring it back to 9.0 and see if the unwraps are there and try updating to 9.5 again to remove them

All that said i will probably stay with the 10/02 build for now

D

Deleted-236924

I am using the 9/28 build, also. At the time of installing though, I was using a later version. The 9/28 version was recommended to me when devmode and autobooting to emunand only resulted in a black screen. (Only way to boot in emunand was hold L while rxTools was starting up, then boot rxMode and press Y to boot rxMode emunand. Only then did it boot properly.)

Could it have been a problem with that nightly of rxTools I used at the time? Possibly. In the tutorial thread for installing rxTools, someone said that they had been told the black boxes were a bug in rxTools but that everyone who had them had installed stuff directly to sysnand.

Only thing I installed to sysnand are the 9.2.0-20U update files, and Zelda Four Sword Anniversary Edition later on, but that was way after I had the black box problem. :P (And way after it had been resolved too, haha.)

Ok, so I did system format in emunand and apparently it formatted sysnand too O.o they're unlinked
No wait, I'm dumb. Format emunand erases the SD card rofl

Last edited by ,

peteruk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am using the 9/28 build, also. At the time of installing though, I was using a later version. The 9/28 version was recommended to me when devmode and autobooting to emunand only resulted in a black screen. (Only way to boot in emunand was hold L while rxTools was starting up, then boot rxMode and press Y to boot rxMode emunand. Only then did it boot properly.)

Could it have been a problem with that nightly of rxTools I used at the time? Possibly. In the tutorial thread for installing rxTools, someone said that they had been told the black boxes were a bug in rxTools but that everyone who had them had installed stuff directly to sysnand.

Only thing I installed to sysnand are the 9.2.0-20U update files, and Zelda Four Sword Anniversary Edition later on, but that was way after I had the black box problem. :P (And way after it had been resolved too, haha.)

I used the guide by @VerseHell which i think when written with 10/02 in mind

I have been thinking hard since and the only 2 files i ever installed 'not in emunand' was when i had pasta cfw i installed cubic ninja and devmenu

Perhaps i should have tried to uninstall both those items when i had the new build running to test it, but i am opposed to doing anything else now while it's working again on 10/02 lol

D

Deleted-236924

So I formatted my emunand and the black boxes weren't there either. They really were only there when I first installed rxTools with one of the nightlies from late October (I forget which one exactly.)
Then once I updated emunand to 10.2, the boxes disappeared.
Updated sysnand to 9.2, all good.
And I just tried formatting a new emunand in case it was something on the actual sysnand and they aren't showing in rxMode emunand. :P
Not sure what the deal was with them. Probably will never know.

peteruk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I formatted my emunand and the black boxes weren't there either. They really were only there when I first installed rxTools with one of the nightlies from late October (I forget which one exactly.)
Then once I updated emunand to 10.2, the boxes disappeared.
Updated sysnand to 9.2, all good.
And I just tried formatting a new emunand in case it was something on the actual sysnand and they aren't showing in rxMode emunand. :P
Not sure what the deal was with them. Probably will never know.

So it is fair to say that this is for sure an rxTools issue ?

D

Deleted-236924

As far as I'm concerned, I'd say yes, but my issue wasn't entirely like yours.
Yours showed up as giftwrapped boxes that had to be unwrapped, only to reveal black boxes that crash the system if you try to load them. Mine showed up as black boxes right away as soon as I first started up emunand after having created it.

That, and you say you installed Cubic Ninja CIA and Devmenu too, so it could have been those.
Although, Cubic Ninja wouldn't have been installed to NAND. idk about devmenu.

Last edited by ,

peteruk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As far as I'm concerned, I'd say yes, but my issue wasn't entirely like yours.
Yours showed up as giftwrapped boxes that had to be unwrapped, only to reveal black boxes that crash the system if you try to load them. Mine showed up as black boxes right away as soon as I first started up emunand after having created it.

That, and you say you installed Cubic Ninja CIA and Devmenu too, so it could have been those.
Although, Cubic Ninja wouldn't have been installed to NAND. idk about devmenu.

Interesting... I installed BBM and went through my list of installed apps within bbm menu and noticed 4 instances of devmenu and so removed them all, exited BBM and rebooted the machine back into emuNAND

Now i only have 1 unwrapped gift :D

p.s. i only saw one instance of cubic ninja tho so not sure its that

so i am 50% sorted lol

Last edited by peteruk,
Reactions: wormdood

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting... I installed BBM and went through my list of installed apps within bbm menu and noticed 4 instances of devmenu and so removed them all, exited BBM and rebooted the machine back into emuNAND

Now i only have 1 unwrapped gift :D

p.s. i only saw one instance of cubic ninja tho so not sure its that

so i am 50% sorted lol
see i told you improperly installed files (apps/games)

peteruk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
see i told you improperly installed files (apps/games)

you did say this, fair play mate :)

Looks like i have found the other one, BBM was showing 4 instances of Sysupdater CTR-N-UDTR

After removing the 4 instances and rebooting the unit both wrapped black boxes are gone

So if anyone has similar issues with Black Boxes take the advice of @wormdood and check with BBM for multiple installs, delete them and reboot your machine

Happy days!!

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Looks like i have found the other one, BBM was showing 4 instances of Sysupdater CTR-N-UDTR

After removing the 4 instances and rebooting the unit both wrapped black boxes are gone

So if anyone has similar issues with Black Boxes take the advice of @wormdood and check with BBM for multiple installs, delete them and reboot your machine

Happy days!!
thanks and to confirm i just followed our own advice and now the boxes are gone simply and safely:yaynds:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
  • Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham:
    Hehehe
    Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham: Hehehe