Gaming [HELP!] Typing Chinese characters on the computer

I am r4ymond

PFE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I was trying to type out Chinese characters on Notepad, they turn into small square-like blocks like this:

http://img703.imageshack.us/i/blocksny.png/

Does anyone know what kind of problem this is?

Also...I think I may have uninstalled something important that enables the Chinese characters to show up as characters and not blocks a few days ago. Not sure.

I need to type out a Chinese script by today
frown.gif
. Help is appreciated.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Rydian said:
The font you're using doesn't have chinese characters in it. You'll need to switch it to a unicode font. I'm not sure of any way to tell if a font's unicode or not other than trying it.

This. You may also want to make sure you have the Chinese language pack installed on your computer. I know this applies to XP, not sure about later OS.

I am r4ymond

PFE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply, Rydian.

I was using the Arial font to type Chinese characters last time, and it worked, but when I use the Arial font this time, it doesn't work.

I also did a quick research. I came upon some software called Language Packs. And as I've remembered, I don't think I have the Language Packs installed FOR Windows 7.

I think everything is coming back to me now.

I checked Windows Update and it has a few Optional Updates. They include the Chinese Simplified and Traditional Language Packs. I'm going to try to install them to see if it works.

Mazor

Z80 master arch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rydian said:
The standard fonts included with windows aren't unicode because unicode fonts take up a lot more space than normal.

Every Windows in the NT family (2000, XP, Vista, Win7) use unicode only and these don't take up a lot more space than non-unicode variants.

Including Chinese or similar would however take a lot more space than "normal", but that's irrelevant to whether Windows uses unicode and whether the windows fonts take up a lot more space than "normal".

Europe would be pretty fucked if what you said was true.

Mazor

Z80 master arch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sorry if it sounded like I was trying to point out some lack of knowledge of yours, I'm aware that you know would know that Windows comes with fonts that include characters not part of the English alphabet (and that you would know which OSes are in the NT family).

I was simply making the remark because other members wouldn't necessarily know these things and more importantly would likely trust someone as respected as you are in this section when presented with a computer related fact, however wrong you may have accidentally put it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Bruh