Hideo Kojima's new game is called OD, and he calls it "a new form of media"

Hideo Kojima announced his latest project at this year's The Game Awards. Xbox Game Studios is involved with the game, which is titled "OD". While on stage, Kojima explained that OD will use Xbox's cloud technology to create a "unique, immersive, and totally new style of game, a new form of media". Jordan Peele is involved with the game as well, with history directing movies such as "Nope" and "Get Out". Highly-detailed facial capture from stars Sophia Lillis, Hunter Schaffer, and Udo Kier was showcased.

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA – KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS and XBOX GAME STUDIOS officially announced OD at The Game Awards. World-renowned game creator Hideo Kojima has partnered with Academy Award winning filmmaker Jordan Peele, the acclaimed film director of “Get Out,” “Us,” and “Nope,” who will be one of several talented storytellers involved in the project.

“We are working with Xbox Game Studios and their cloud gaming technology to take on the challenge of creating a very unique, immersive, and totally new style of game – or rather, a new form of media,” said Hideo Kojima, Game Creator and Founder of KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS.

A HIDEO KOJIMA GAME, OD explores the concept of testing your fear threshold, and what it means to OD on fear – while blurring the boundaries of gaming and film. The new teaser for OD also reveals Sophia Lillis (“Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves”), Hunter Schaffer (“Euphoria”) and Udo Kier (“Flesh for Frankenstein”), who will play the lead roles in the upcoming project.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
I have to admit the only thing that intrigues me here is the colaboration with Jordan Peele.

Xbox's cloud technology is not good news, I think. Games developed in this will have an expiration date that'll prevent any sofware preservationism. Kojima has talked in the past that this type of games were his dream future for the industry though, so it is only natural he'll be on the frontlines.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
This seems more like a photogrammetry project than an actual game, but who knows.
Death Stranding first teaser also didn't show or pointed to any specific type of gameplay. I suspect he didn't start designing a game with a clear idea what it would be either. I suspect probably the same thing here.

Reactions: Xzi

Daggot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I watched the Game Awards with an older friend that at least claimed to be a "failed voice actor" in the 90s-2000s era. He pointed something out to me that I haven't seen mentioned yet. Are those the actors REAL voices or have they trained their voices to some sort of really great sounding speech software/AI? His question came from the poem they were reading out. It's apparently a phonetic pangram used to showcase accents and vocal ranges, its used a lot to showcase voices because it contains all of the phonetic sounds in English.

"The hungry purple dinosaur ate the kind, zingy fox, the jabbering crab, and the mad whale and started vending and quacking"

Reactions: auntnadia

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I watched the Game Awards with an older friend that at least claimed to be a "failed voice actor" in the 90s-2000s era. He pointed something out to me that I haven't seen mentioned yet. Are those the actors REAL voices or have they trained their voices to some sort of really great sounding speech software/AI? His question came from the poem they were reading out. It's apparently a phonetic pangram used to showcase accents and vocal ranges, its used a lot to showcase voices because it contains all of the phonetic sounds in English.

"The hungry purple dinosaur ate the kind, zingy fox, the jabbering crab, and the mad whale and started vending and quacking"
they are "voice acting" but their voice tone is enhanced by AI and other tools

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Let's give Kojima his own studio. What could go wrong?" -- Sony, a couple years ago.

"EVERYTHING." -- Oversimplified.

Kojima once again demonstrates that he is the exception to the notion of developer freedom. Dude is the kind of person that NEEDS someone to collar him and be able to say "No, you cannot do that."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol