Hogwarts legacy. Harry potter universe game. Anybody playing/waiting/skipping?

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Watching the gameplay showcases back in November then it looked like a very interesting game, and this is from someone indifferent at best to Harry Potter (I read any number of trashy fantasy novels, and good ones too, but the books never did much for me and films I saw because they were on in the background when visiting friends). Nice hybrid between guided story and open world, and looks like they very much tried to keep it within the lore.

General premise is it is set rather before any films, prequels or mainline books and you are a student on something of an accelerated timeline (rather than making you level up over years of in game time), exploring, factions, solving mysteries, clubs...

It is however out now and seemingly having a lot of buzz around it.

A video, headmaster reveal

Older gameplay preview

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It is however out now
I thought it was only scheduled for release a couple of weeks from now?

Why not wait until the game is actually released and people can actually play it? Haven't there been a bazillion games by now that looked interesting and had lots of "buzz" until they finally came out and turned out to be crap/

Reactions: Xzi

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will purchase SIX copies of this game, so my nieces and nephews can join me in supporting the wonderful author and creator of the entire World of Harry Potter.

We find this series to be a wonderful introduction to the magical world of reading, and it has provided me and my family with hundreds of hours of pleasure and enjoyment, and way for us to bond with each other.

I am happy to support the excellent person that is JK Rowling for providing us with this medium, and hope that she receives her Damehood soon, after being knighted in France already. She absolutely deserves it.

I'm eager to see which House I get sorted into. Can't wait for the official release.

Reactions: Doran754

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't this game meant to be released like two years ago? I'm not a Harry Potter fan (never got me interested), but the game looks to be fun. I'll wait for reviews.

Sphaa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Holy s... - this must be the most divided/sore/polerized release of any media this century. Everywhere I read about this game the discussion centers around the other thing.
But on topic, I think I'm too old for this. I simply don't have time for this kind of game anymore. But it looks great and I think fans of HP will be pleased.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Definitely a wait on reviews type of deal. This is the developer's first ambitious title, and even if it wasn't, there's always a non-zero chance the game runs poorly and/or has lots of bugs. Combat also looks relatively dull and easy, but I suppose it's not really the main attraction for a game like this.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the combat is what will either make or break the game for me. How spells interact with each other, with the attacks/defensive/protection etc. spells and how it all works.. The choice system (or rpg-esque?) is limited and within scope, and follows the game's narrative (linear) like they said in the vid above. so you can't just go wondering around starting quests, only the ones they allow you to, in comparison to something like Skyrim when you could go and do whatever the hell you want..

Reactions: Xzi

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This looks good actually, still have many questions on how the level up/rpg/ spell systems work, but from the looks of it there's some strategy involved (not button-mashy) and can get challenging.. Hype!

Reactions: Marc_LFD and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
This looks good actually, still have many questions on how the level up/rpg/ spell systems work, but from the looks of it there's some strategy involved (not button-mashy) and can get challenging.. Hype!

Okay, color me impressed. Graphics are truly next-gen with only a bit of pop-in here and there, voice acting is strong, and if the early part of the video is the quality we can expect from all side quests, they went above and beyond. If I have one small gripe it's that you can only talk to maybe one out of every twenty students, while the rest are just window dressing. Still, as long as it scales well with older hardware, looks like a solid 8.5/10 game at a minimum.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, color me impressed. Graphics are truly next-gen with only a bit of pop-in here and there, voice acting is strong, and if the early part of the video is the quality we can expect from all side quests, they went above and beyond.
Indeed.
If I have one small gripe it's that you can only talk to maybe one out of every twenty students, while the rest are just window dressing.
That's what i thought as well.. Well it's their first (HP) game here, so i'll cut them some slack, considering what they've accomplished here..
Still, as long as it scales well with older hardware, looks like a solid 8.5/10 game at a minimum.
I just wish it's not a short game (10hrs or less), that'll be a BIG waste..
Also, i'd assume DLC expansions are inevitable, so we'll see eventually how that goes..

Reactions: SylverReZ

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
That's what i thought as well.. Well it's their first (HP) game here, so i'll cut them some slack, considering what they've accomplished here..
Yeah it's not as if I expect every NPC to hand out quests or something like that, but one or two quick lines of dialogue each to give them some personality would be nice.

I just wish it's not a short game (10hrs or less), that'll be a BIG waste..
Also, i'd assume DLC expansions are inevitable, so we'll see eventually how that goes..
Supposedly there are one hundred plus side quests that affect the main story in some way. Even if they don't though, that's still twenty hours of content at a minimum, likely thirty or more including the main story quest.

jkr is a dirty cunt and deserves no royalties from this, so skipping on principle.
I'm no fan of her politics either, but the truth of the matter is that she's set for life either way. The devs have done a pretty good job distancing themselves from her as well, being that her name is notably absent from all marketing, and you can create a trans character if you want. I'm still gonna wait on reviews, but I'm willing to judge the game on its own merits.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Do I make you randy!!! Lol