Homebrew Homebrew Development

D

Deleted User

I'm also getting this, both when I compile it myself and using your build. I think there might be a size limit which could be causing it to error though,so I'll fiddle with some smaller ROMs.

Just fixed it, redownload from the readme.

The issue was the check for game info in the large array in 3ds.cpp. The array size is 256, but it doesn't actually have 256 entries and wasn't checking for null, so a game that wasn't on the list would end up reaching the null entries during the check and would crash.

Oh, and for reference, the ROM I've been using to test is Pokemon Emerald. 16MB I think.

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just fixed it, redownload from the readme.

The issue was the check for game info in the large array in 3ds.cpp. The array size is 256, but it doesn't actually have 256 entries and wasn't checking for null, so a game that wasn't on the list would end up reaching the null entries during the check and would crash.

Oh, and for reference, the ROM I've been using to test is Pokemon Emerald. 16MB I think.

Just recompiled, still nothing, even on a small 6.3KB homebrew I made. And it seems the ZIP only has a .elf and an sdmh in it.

D

Deleted User

Just recompiled, still nothing, even on a small 6.3KB homebrew I made. And it seems the ZIP only has a .elf and an sdmh in it.

Oh, whoops. Zipped the elf instead of the 3dsx. Fixed now. Although, it should work, strange that it wouldn't. Sonic Advance works now at least. Try testing it in 3dmoo and see if the console prints any errors containing something like "read32" or "write32".

xavix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, whoops. Zipped the elf instead of the 3dsx. Fixed now. Although, it should work, strange that it wouldn't. Sonic Advance works now at least. Try testing it in 3dmoo and see if the console prints any errors containing something like "read32" or "write32".
Works now, and quite well for a port. Odd that it didn't work when I compiled it though. What version of ctrulib/GCC are you using?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
button combo is probably better than a single button press.
Pressing X is too easy, that would exit the game without warning (unless you added one).

Start+Select is already harder to press by mistake.

D

Deleted User

Pressing X is too easy, that would exit the game without warning (unless you added one).

I'm currently almost finished with a file selector. When in a game, touch will pause the game and open it, and when in the file browser a touch will close it and resume the game and start will close the emulator.

Aaand its in! No more boot.gba!

Reactions: ztoben

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'd personally just allow the binding of a button to open a menu, or just use the touch screen as a button like gameYob and blargSnes.

HCStealth

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.headcannon.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi! I've just released a 3DS build of Headcannon Game Engine. I wanted to make mention here, but since I don't want to SPAM this thread, you can find out more in this thread

Also, though, I'll share this:

I've added buffered read/writes to SDMC in my own personal build of ctrulib to greatly speed up multiple sequential, short reads/writes. You can get the modified SDMC source file here. I'm not sure if it's the best method, but it works, and if anyone responsible actually wants to add it to the official ctrulib, feel free. I would appreciate credit for any usage, though :P

Incidentally, I had added chdir too, but that was officially added to ctrulib before I was ready for posting, so I've merged the official method into my source. As far as the public official source goes, this should be up-to-date

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! I've just released a 3DS build of Headcannon Game Engine. I wanted to make mention here, but since I don't want to SPAM this thread, you can find out more in this thread

Also, though, I'll share this:

I've added buffered read/writes to SDMC in my own personal build of ctrulib to greatly speed up multiple sequential, short reads/writes. You can get the modified SDMC source file here. I'm not sure if it's the best method, but it works, and if anyone responsible actually wants to add it to the official ctrulib, feel free. I would appreciate credit for any usage, though :P

Incidentally, I had added chdir too, but that was officially added to ctrulib before I was ready for posting, so I've merged the official method into my source. As far as the public official source goes, this should be up-to-date

You should submit a pull request to the ctrulib repo! The learning curve for git is a bit steep but it's well worth it.

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
I think that the 3ds homebrew community here on gbatemp should set a standard that a certain keypress would be used to exit homebrew. Personally, I would use L+R+START+SELECT.

yup, would be nice to have some consistency. Start is obviously not a good idea (especially with emulators), as many already associate it with "pause".

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
I personally prefer the touch screen exit implementation. Works a bit better imo and you don't get confused as much.

Tbh, I'm down with anything as long as it is mostly consistent between apps, and wont be confused with something else later down the line. I haven't started creating yet. I expect to start working on learning the basics of creating things in a couple weeks, after exams are done.

On that note, if anyone is willing to point me in the direction of where to start (like the very beginning lol. I have a weak understanding, other than a bit of CSS, right now), I'd be eternally grateful.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Click on your profile pic in the top right corner, and you'll get the profile menu popup, with... +2