Homebrew Homebrew Development

xem

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Can someone please tell me what retail games can do, but ninjhax/gateway homebrews can't do?
Are there some features the homebrews can't use?
I heard about "kernel access", which is not possible with Ninjhack. What would it allow?
Thanks!

minexew

ayy lmao
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello, World!

8qTWItk.png

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
So, I'm now wanting to try out actual 3DS homebrew, but I'm having problems. First, I'm trying to build existing projects just to make sure I have the bare necessities with regard to tools. Got devkitPro and python re-installed, built and applied the latest ctrulib, and downloaded aemstro. The problem I'm having is regard to python and aemstro in a Makefile.

Code:
python $(AEMSTRO)/aemstro_as.py $< ../$(notdir $<).shbin

c:\Program Files (x86)\Python34\python.exe: can't open file 'c/devkitPro/aemstro/aemstro_as.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [final.vsh.o] Error 2
make: *** [build] Error 2
The thing about this is that I have the script in the correct spot (C:\devkitPro\aemstro).

8aukgYf.png
Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?

Seanshoots

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Played around with homebrew menu, compiled experimental version with netloading from https://github.com/lukas2511/3ds_hb_menu , 3D from https://github.com/MrJPGames/3ds_hb_menu , and themes from https://github.com/AlbinoDrought/3ds_hb_menu

https://mega.co.nz/#!O1thiYDQ!BowReszJ-devQBEXTL69L1inninMoY_lyWggmeAW1v8

Netload instructions:
cat boot.3dsx | nc 192.168.1.1xx 9000

3D instructions:
Turn on 3D slider....

Color-change instructions:
Press L/R

Reactions: -pm- and hippy dave

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone please tell me what retail games can do, but ninjhax/gateway homebrews can't do?
Are there some features the homebrews can't use?
I heard about "kernel access", which is not possible with Ninjhack. What would it allow?
Thanks!
Everything in CTRulib should work fine.

loco365

Trophies
XP
So, when building anything, I get this when linking my elf files:

Code:
c:/devkitpro/devkitarm/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.8.2/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lctru
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

I have GCC installed, as well as built libctru, but I'm not sure if I'm missing anything. Can I get some pointers?

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Just passing here to say good luck to all your future homebrew people :) I have faith on 3ds homebrew scene :grog: (please ignore dirty pirates and butthurt people, they have no idea on how must of us are fine with usermode only ;) )

mocalacace

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Code:
c:/devkitpro/devkitarm/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.8.2/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lctru

I have GCC installed, as well as built libctru, but I'm not sure if I'm missing anything. Can I get some pointers?

I had the same, error, forgot what fixed it, but I'm pretty sure you just need to make libctru in the devkitpro folder.

CalebW

Fellow Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What would it take to port say...Ikureader to the 3ds? I would obviously need to change the sd access and the rendering method...but is that it?

airline38

Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan

Code:

Use "devkitProUpdater" to update devkitarm to r43 and you should be able to find
c:\devkitPro\libctru . (with all necessary include and lib files)

minexew

ayy lmao
Trophies
XP
Country
This is simply amazing. Is it on GitHub?

Not anytime soon, I'm afraid :-) I'm not willing to release any imperfect code, so you'll probably have to wait until it's either completed or abandoned. (though some parts of the code - probably of little to no value to 3ds homebrew development - are public)

And thanks for the encouragement, it means A LOT. I'll keep you guys updated on the news.

loco365

Trophies
XP
Not anytime soon, I'm afraid :-) I'm not willing to release any imperfect code, so you'll probably have to wait until it's either completed or abandoned. (though some parts of the code - probably of little to no value to 3ds homebrew development - are public)

And thanks for the encouragement, it means A LOT. I'll keep you guys updated on the news.

It'd honestly be really neat to see that turned into a really unique-looking RPG or something. I love the simplistic design!

Reactions: minexew

Helper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel awful asking a question like this... I know the "right" answer is RTFM and try it yourself, but still... I can't give it a go just yet and maybe somebody has already tried it.

Has anybody found success building 3DS homebrew on a Linux environment?

I've fucked with devkitpro and Cygwin and friends on Windows plenty of times. It always seems to bring me misery. For me, trying to write and (more importantly) compile C on Windows tends to bring pain, whereas Linux brings joy. So, has anybody here gotten a working 3DS toolchain on Linux?

T-thanks...

Just passing here to say good luck to all your future homebrew people :) I have faith on 3ds homebrew scene :grog: (please ignore dirty pirates and butthurt people, they have no idea on how must of us are fine with usermode only ;) )
You're one of the users I keep seeing around all of these ninjhax/homebrew threads. And one of the ones who seem to actually be interested in homebrew, where "homebrew" isn't just a euphemism for "playin mah 'backup' ROMzorz lol", and you seem like a cool person. Several people here seem like they're cool people--they know who they are.

I guess I just wanted to say--to you and everybody who actually cares about homebrew--cheers! I'm excited to have a chance at being a part of maybe not-fucking-up the scene; the 3DS could have a good one. :grog:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, FarCry 5 is an awesome game with multiple endings!