Hori to release left Joy-Con with actual D-Pad

l_5ab3312ed1b24.jpg

If you've been feeling let down by the Nintendo Switch's four detached directional buttons and miss the classic D-Pad, worry not, as gaming accessory manufacturing company Hori will soon be releasing a Joy-Con that has a real D-Pad. Hori's official Japanese site already has a picture of what it'll look like, as well as the technical specifications of the controller. Of course, there are a few drawbacks to this; you can only use it in portable mode as it has no wireless support, there's no HD Rumble or gyro, and there are no SL or SR buttons on the inside of the Joy-Con. This third-party left JoyCon will be hitting retail in Japan sometime this July, will come in a dark blue color only, and will cost 2,480 yen, which is equivalent to about $24.99.

:arrow: Source

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
8bitdo is OKish...
To be honest I don't like my FC30 Pro analogs too much, they feel weird and inaccurate. I also find the dpad somehow not that nice, and the whole gamepad too small and uncomfortable in my hands.
The analogs on the NES30/FC30 Pro are a bit too small, but I got it because it's extremely portable and it does the job very well for on the go use.
I like the D-pad though, it feels very precise.
It is a bit small for my hands, but the portability is a huge plus.
The SNES30 Pro is a lot bigger, the sticks look more like normal sized sticks and it has a bunch of extra features that make it better for Switch use. So I think you'd probably be pretty happy with that one. It costs more though.
For me the SNES30 Pro is a bit too big, I would like it better if it was closer to the size of the original SNES controller, since it would be mostly for on the go use.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: sarkwalvein

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
also why its 25$ since it has no rumble,gyro, or even batery so its constantly milking your switch battery in portable mode, its basicaly a

D

Deleted-355425

It depends how they have done the Dpad contacts inside, might be way better then the Chinese case you swap... we will have to wait and see.

Reactions: peteruk

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
The analogs on the NES30/FC30 Pro are a bit too small, but I got it because it's extremely portable and it does the job very well for on the go use.
I like the D-pad though, it feels very precise.
It is a bit small for my hands, but the portability is a huge plus.
The SNES30 Pro is a lot bigger, the sticks look more like normal sized sticks and it has a bunch of extra features that make it better for Switch use. So I think you'd probably be pretty happy with that one. It costs more though.
For me the SNES30 Pro is a bit too big, I would like it better if it was closer to the size of the original SNES controller, since it would be mostly for on the go use.
I have the SNES30 pro and it's not any bigger than the SFC30 I've got. Afaik, the SFC30 is roughly the same size as the original controllers.

Last edited by Kioku,

SjorsMaster

Ayy
Trophies
Website
www.sjors.eu
XP
Country
Netherlands
ehh? And this for 25 Bucks? Hell No!
For that money you can grab a really nice joycon Shell, buy "used" or new joycon and make yoursef a fully functionally custom joycon WITH a D-Pad!!!! And Rumble, and Wireless etc.
Like on this picture. The shell cost around 11-15 €...

View attachment 118245
not everyone wants to go through the trouble.

Honestly for the 25 dollar price it doesnt seem too bad.
Not just for the dpad but for not wanting to damage my joy-cons while traveling... Well in this case joy-con I guess.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do we know how Joycons act when latched onto a grip? Would be cool if you could power a Joycon from a grip, essentially enabling wireless for grip play. One more thing, is it safe to assume that the metal area with the arrows is some kind of data/power connection for the Joycons when latched onto a Switch console?

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This would be an instant buy for me if it had vibration. Gyro and wireless don't matter to me since the joycons are always attached anyway. I would love it even more if they swapped the analog stick and the dpad so I could actually play Superbeat: Xonic.

8bitdo's SNES style controllers are ok for casual play, but the dpad isn't as precise as the one on real SNES controllers (You can't really play Contra III or fighting games). You can make it better by adding some electrical tape and making the contact area smaller, but you shouldn't have to do this.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i actually dont mind the seperate button solution as much as I expected to mind it.
that said, i have yet to play a 2d platformer with it.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I found a bunch of the case's to replace the existing ones but haven't found any "D-Pad attachment" you described, could someone point me in the right direction please ?
https://www.amazon.com/Add-Pad-Video-Game-Nintendo-Switch-Button/dp/B075H4JB7T
Here you go. Probably cheaper ones if you search for it a bit longer.
I have been using a similar one but not that one tho so don't know how good that is but the one i'm using feels good enough that i'm satisfied with it.
This guy seems to be happy with it and is way cheaper then a hori controller and still has all the features.

Last edited by kumikochan,
Reactions: peteruk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo