How anonimous are you?

Mudb0y

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So, coming from a POV of someone who's never really been anonimous on the internet, I've been thinking about this topic for a long time now, especially because I worry about how this could potentially affect my life if someone were to get a grudge or something and start snooping around. Most people know my full name, my usernames which are tied to it, then you can easily find my Reddit account with 3 years of posts on it from which you could probably get a large chunk of my life story out of, ETC.
What about you. What's your level of anonimity. Do you have different usernames for each account you create? Do you reveal your real name and / or age? I'm just curious if I'm the only person on the internet who's this open lol. If you weren't previously anonimous but now are, what would be your tips for making my real identity slightly more obfiscated now that it's out there?
To be fair I usually post stuff I find OK to post but the paranoya still gets me sometimes and I do have the occasional what ifs.

Mudb0y

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You employ an interesting method of spelling the English language.
What do you mean? If I misspelled something do let me know, I'm blind and mostly learned how to spell in English by listening to it for years using a Polish synthesizer and there's mistakes I've been making for a really long time before people pointed them out to me and I corrected them.

• Wow
Reactions: Xdqwerty

Schneiderus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Being really anonymous on the Internet is nearly impossible (it totally change the use of the network and of your devices). However I try to protect my identity and data online (what most of the people may consider as "being anonymous", I would tell that protecting privacy).

I don't use personal social networks, I only have an old Reddit account, with my non-online username, that I keep but I don't have real personal things on it. The more personal things about me online are work-related things like CV and LinkedIn, but I try as much as I can to this and everything else.

I nearly never give my phone number to communicate with people, and I generally give aliases instead of my real email address. All non-critical accounts have fake names and data about me. I consider I have a setup "more secure than the average", using GNU/Linux, 90% of open-source software, I trust encryption not foreign companies.

When I really need anonymity, I generally just use Tor with recommended configuration (in short : the Tor Browser and nothing else).

If you want to know more about anonymity, privacy online and what are the diffrences between these terms I recommand you this website written by volunteers :)

Reactions: Xdqwerty and Mudb0y
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Dunno exactly how much anonymous I am tbh, but from what I've seen when looking up my real name online, nothing about me really comes up, so... shrug
In fact, it brings up various people with my same name and surname that aren't me, so, guess that should help keep my anonymous, lol
One of those people is like a singer, uh

Rolfie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
i used to be a lot more worried about anonymity. lately though, it's kind of just making sure i don't say my city name or my last name mostly.
i think it's perhaps possible to find my face somewhere online, but given that i don't even know where you potentially could, it's probably fine.

generally i don't want to worry about it so much because i'm already paranoid about other things. saying that feels pretty revealing though.

G1ZM02K

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just googled myself and I'm not anonymous at all; hell, my name's in the top spot and my socials follow slightly behind (Reddit only lists my old deactivated though, I changed my name on there a few years back for a fresh start)...

It doesn't bother me, especially when I have the same name as a character from a T.V. show (and it's remakes/films) so I'm a little bit harder to look up by name🤷🏻‍♂️

Mudb0y

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I just googled myself and I'm not anonymous at all; hell, my name's in the top spot and my socials follow slightly behind (Reddit only lists my old deactivated though, I changed my name on there a few years back for a fresh start)...

It doesn't bother me, especially when I have the same name as a character from a T.V. show (and it's remakes/films) so I'm a little bit harder to look up by name🤷🏻‍♂️
Yeah honestly Reddit is probably what I'm worried about the most, I just like to write whatever thoughts I have on there especially when just scrolling through Ask Reddit and that amounts to something. I've been thinking about deleting my current account and starting a fresh anonymous one but I really don't know if I can be bothered to move over all my subscribed subs and stuff.

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:unsure::unsure::unsure: You know... In a way it irked me, and in another way it didn't. I looked up my real name, and found Nothing on me. I thought cool at first, but then my mind went, :O:ohnoes: wtf? As if I'm nobody Important? :angry:

Last edited by AncientBoi,

ryan1337

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had tons of accounts in my internet usage span, I always cross mixed gaming and IRL. Fortunately, I got hacked on Habbo Hotel as a young vulnerable kid and got everything stolen from me which taught me a lot viruses, starting with keyloggers. As someone who used to trickshot on COD around 2012, there was lots of doxxing that eventually started going on which forced me to learn that aspect as well. I still learn to this day, someone on Discord recently called me by my fake last name I used to sign up to websites with as a kid lol. It was lucky enough timing to search myself up on the OSINT database before it got shut down for a 2nd time, but it's very easy to clean up your internet identity if you still have access to those accounts.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto