How do I share folders in Windows 98/95/ME/2000 using VirtualBox?

Simon34545

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guest Additions won't work... normally I would go to uploadfiles.io but internet explorer either can't find the URL or it can't display the webpage.
So how do I share folders?

Solution
"I used PowerISO to create an iso that I could insert but the VM said it did the disc was read-only."
Of course. This is one-way road. Form the host to the VM. This is why I said "If you only want to get files INTO the VM".

I have a Windows 2000 VM running at the moment - with read/write access to the Linux host (bad feeling; thank goodness the Win2k is offline).

In VirtualBox main window right click on your Win2000 machine and choose settings. In the "Settings" window go to "Shared Folders" Add a new location and choose "Auto-mount". After starting the VM your folder should be mounted as an additional drive (probably E:).

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
With the exception of Windows 2000 (VBox guest additions and folder sharing work in 2000, probably also NT4) the old SMB is probably the only way for exchanging files in both directions.

If you just want to get files into the virtual machine “burn” your files to a virtual CD/DVD aka iso-image and mount it in the virtual drive.

Edit:
You can also install KernelEx on Windows 98SE and ME and use Opera 12 / Firefox ESR 10. Internet Explorer 6 - the latest for 98/ME/2000 will likely not work with anything modern.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
"I used PowerISO to create an iso that I could insert but the VM said it did the disc was read-only."
Of course. This is one-way road. Form the host to the VM. This is why I said "If you only want to get files INTO the VM".

I have a Windows 2000 VM running at the moment - with read/write access to the Linux host (bad feeling; thank goodness the Win2k is offline).

In VirtualBox main window right click on your Win2000 machine and choose settings. In the "Settings" window go to "Shared Folders" Add a new location and choose "Auto-mount". After starting the VM your folder should be mounted as an additional drive (probably E:).

Solution

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, FarCry 5 is an awesome game with multiple endings!