How does one put Mods on their 3ds for games

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You install homebrew on the 3DS by following the appropriate https://hacks.guide guide(s), and after that you follow the instructions of the specific game mod you're trying to install.

If reading and following instructions carefully sounds too hard for you I would suggest not attempting either.

Reactions: BigOnYa

TheOllie125

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You install homebrew on the 3DS by following the appropriate https://hacks.guide guide(s), and after that you follow the instructions of the specific game mod you're trying to install.

If reading and following instructions carefully sounds too hard for you I would suggest not attempting either.
Im talking about modding games like ssb, I already have homebrew

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Im talking about modding games like ssb
Look up the mods that interest you and follow the instructions. Different mods will probably have different installation requirements.

I agree that if reading and following instructions carefully sounds too hard for you, then you probably shouldn't bother.

Reactions: anotherthing

HelpTheWretched

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you already have the standard Custom Firmware installed, then in most cases it's as easy as downloading the mod files and putting them in a certain folder on your SD card. The game will find these files and use them instead of the files in its actual data.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Smash Bros. on 3DS isn't really great for mods. Luma3DS's LayeredFS system which replaces individual files in games isn't really helpful because Smash bundles all its files up into one giant archive.

For that reason, Smash 3DS mods tend to rely on SaltySD, which specifically checks for files on the SD card before it goes to the big archive. You can install SaltySD by placing the appropriate file for your region, renamed as code.ips, into luma/titles/<YOURSMASHTITLEID> and enabling game patching in the Luma3DS settings (by holding Select while booting up the 3DS).

SaltySD is available for USA (00040000000EDF00) and EUR (00040000000EE000).

After SaltySD is installed, you can place your mods in sdmc:/saltysd/smash to have them override the official files. However, this will make it impossible to play certain game modes like Smash Run, since they're not compatible with SaltySD. The console will just hang if you try to do something that's broken, so it's not really a fun experience unless you know ahead of time that there's parts of the game you will just never try to access.

Last edited by Vague Rant,

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Usually you use the LayeredFS feature to make the system read specific files (the modded ones) from a folder while the rest is being looked at the usual location.

Similar to Riivolution on Wii. The thing is that depending on what is being changed, LayeredFS might be too slow and cause stutters everytime those modded files need to be read.

anotherthing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look up the mods that interest you and follow the instructions. Different mods will probably have different installation requirements.
I don't think many people understand that inside those CIA or 3DSX files, there's a fairly unique data organization that you can't see unless you go to unpack them. Different developers organize their data in different ways, choose different packers for that data, and so on. I would think that people who mod PC games would understand this, but because they just have a game in one file, they seem to forget that's how things are done. I'm sure Nintendo has some dictates on this, but they can't make a universal data structure that works for all games so modding a game won't be a universal method either.

TheOllie125

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think many people understand that inside those CIA or 3DSX files, there's a fairly unique data organization that you can't see unless you go to unpack them. Different developers organize their data in different ways, choose different packers for that data, and so on. I would think that people who mod PC games would understand this, but because they just have a game in one file, they seem to forget that's how things are done. I'm sure Nintendo has some dictates on this, but they can't make a universal data structure that works for all games so modding a game won't be a universal method either.
nvm I already fucked it up and now im getting gm9 errors

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :shy: uh, went out the door, owner saw me. FORGOT MY CLOTHES :tpi::rofl2::blush: +1