Hardware How is JoyCon-R not a HUGE mistake?..

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Well there are reports on the internet that the right analog stick is placed in an uncomfortable position. I can see that being the case for large hands. I think when designing the joy-con, Nintendo asked itself, what is used more often, the face buttons or the analog stick. It seems its answer was the face buttons.

Edit: Actually, it could have been the only choice, because if the analog stick is on the top and you share a joy-con with a friend to play with it like a classic controller, the analog stick would be on the right side and the face buttons on the left, which is for left-handed people.

Last edited by WiiUBricker,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Your not the first to notice this. Sony have noticed it too so there coming up with something better to rival the switch. Is still in early development but looks promising.
IMG_5711.jpg

Holy hell! There's a ds4 and a ds3 in a handheld console. PLUS! There are not only 2 but 4 analog sticks! So much technology on this one. *Mindblown*

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
at worst, the stick might make contact with your thumbnail.
however, i too feel that a bit more space wouldn't be a bad idea, just to make the buttons better accessible during normal play

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
your forgetting you control and move the characters lets just say mario with the LEFT stick the right is usually for cam controls. and how often do you move the cam? so it really isn't in the wrong spot how often are you actually going to use the right analog how often did you use it on the wiiu? hardly ever.

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
your forgetting you control and move the characters lets just say mario with the LEFT stick the right is usually for cam controls. and how often do you move the cam? so it really isn't in the wrong spot how often are you actually going to use the right analog how often did you use it on the wiiu? hardly ever.
Constantly in Splatoon. But I suspect a Pro controller will be the standard for Splatoon 2.

Last edited by thorasgar,

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pretty sure the 1 joy-con config will not be the most optimal way to play. most of the time you will be using both joycon attached to the system, the base or dual in hand.

i'm thinking using 2 player with 1 joycon per player will be minimally used due to the way its laid out. the right one is awkwardly placed. this was my thought as well and not having wii remote capability doesn't help. if they just added wii remote syncing, it would solve a lot of these issues.

Kerbangman

Trophies
XP
Country
So Sony is making something to drown Nintendo dead.
Smashing Thats not what I want for sure.
Sony pretty much sank the Vita.
Why try and sink the switch as well.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

The Joy-Cons are pretty tiny and everything about it feels uncomfortable if your hands aren't the target size i.e., small or moderately small. Normal (that's me) and big hands might not like it very much or at all.

/imo

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The one I played with was functional but by no means something I would want to use for hours and hours by choice, assuming we are talking about it being used standalone. Most of the others I did were L ones for whatever reason.

That said I don't imagine it being attached to the machine would trouble things too badly. It would probably be something like my palm resting halfway up the machine and my thumb arched over the stick ready to do the usual knocks for the camera, similar to a lot of other controllers.

geodeath

Trophies
XP
Country
I had the same question as it seems too close to the buttons. If it is close enough that you can tigger it when trying to reach for the buttons it either means they are not going to use it much for important functions (Think about a popup menu for example, it would ruin your gameplay) or the other solution is simply the pro controller.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

the whole joyconjs things are a mistake, they are so small to be confortable, damn asians with their small members
It was designed originally for Japanese gamers not for us, Westerners. For Westerners that's the traditional overpriced controller they'll be releasing separately.

Miles54321

Trophies
Website
derbergerac.com
XP
Country
Umm guys, after staring at pictures of the switch for several hours and fantasizing about having one all to my lonely self, I suddenly noticed some thing kind of what-the-fucky..

Do you notice where they decided to place the analog stick on the joycon-R??..
Right in the middle of your palm almost!..
Totally different from wii-u pad that had analog stick above the A/B/X/Y buttons..

Look at this great image for a second:
nintendo-switch-joy-con-r-neon-red-limited-version-switch-.jpg

Now imagine playing new super mario brothers switch, and you know in mario brothers you hold down Y button 99% of the time in the game because for some reason nintendo made walking the default.. Now how are you going to push Y on that thing with out that huge black stick getting in the way??.. It would almost be like in the middle of your palm I think (not quite, but almost).. Or at the very least your hand would be rubbing against that black stick or pushing it, and what if you are playing a game where the analog-R stick controls your view angle or some thing?..

Now I know that you could probably contort your hand to push B or Y with out touching the stick, but having your wrist in that position for that long would get tiring after a while, especially for those of us whom play games for a freakishly long time every day due to lack of friends or social obligations..

The wii-u pad had a good location for right-side analog stick.. But the switch??......Umm.......Did they make a huge mistake in putting it below the buttons instead of above like the wii-u pad has them?..

What do you guys think?.. Just a problem in my own brain?..

For NSMB on Switch it will be b to run and a to jump but they may add options to change controls

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It was designed originally for Japanese gamers not for us, Westerners. For Westerners that's the traditional overpriced controller they'll be releasing separately.
I mean, the same could be said for 3DS XL. Didn't stop it from selling pretty well in the US. The buttons/sticks on Switch are actually a bit larger than that, so I don't think I'll have many complaints even with my large hands.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to post one more theory here:

After having thought about it more, I came to a possible conclusion as to the placement decision..
One of the new gimmicky things about the switch is that you can split the joycons up between 2 people and they each have their own miniture game pad.. You see it in all the commericals for it..
I am going to postulate that they might have placed the analog stick there because if they had placed it any where else it would be have become nearly impossible for a person to use that right-side joycon as a controller by its self..
I looked up different images of different gaming console controllers to compare the placement of the analog stick, and none of them that I saw had the analog stick placed as far to the right as the switch one is (unless it was a controller that placed it above the buttons)..
My guess is that nintendo probably knew that the analog stick placement was not 100% optimal while in 1-player mode where you have both joycons, but that they decided to compromise and decided to place it there any way for the benefit of 2-player mode where each person only has 1 joycon..

Yes this is obvious. Why did it take you so long to figure that out?

S

Saiyan Lusitano

For NSMB on Switch it will be b to run and a to jump but they may add options to change controls

I mean, the same could be said for 3DS XL. Didn't stop it from selling pretty well in the US. The buttons/sticks on Switch are actually a bit larger than that, so I don't think I'll have many complaints even with my large hands.
The 3DS had/has a proper controller layout so it's not like many can complain about it, Nintendo gave the 3DS a home console controller as close as they could get on the go. The Joy-Cons though... hm.

Miles54321

Trophies
Website
derbergerac.com
XP
Country
The 3DS had/has a proper controller layout so it's not like many can complain about it, Nintendo gave the 3DS a home console controller as close as they could get on the go. The Joy-Cons though... hm.

Regarding Nintendo's Online Service

1) Noob Question but like once you pay for the online service you can go online like anywhere right, it's not just online for gaming is it?

S

Saiyan Lusitano

1) Noob Question but like once you pay for the online service you can go online like anywhere right, it's not just online for gaming is it?
It should be exclusively for online gaming only at the very least. Microsoft in the early days demanded customers to subscribe to Xbox LIVE Gold in order to use the browser, Netflix, YouTube but later on since they changed their minds and made these services free. Sony followed their example but with the exception of, if you play a Free to Play game which has online then it's free to play online and this is definitely a nice bonus!

Nintendo's online paid service looks like it might just be a total disaster but let's wait and see.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gq68u-f6X0 +1