Nobody_Important4u

Barely real
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I frequently see people saying that they can't cook and in media bad cooking is a popular trope, and it got me wondering about statistics because it's not really that hard, just follow the damm book at first and don't be an idiot and eventually you can even do more complex stuff without a book.

I find it rather enjoyable but i don't do it very often because my mother complains about it (not because it's bad but because she is an annoying witch and she doesn't like food unless she makes it herself). My food is quite good but i often stick to pasta because it's easy and fast to make and i like it anyway but i can do more complicated stuff too.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think my cooking tends to be pretty decent. I've made some incredibly delicious dishes (al-pastor style tacos and carnitas tacos being two of my favorites) and I've gotten rave reviews on my baked mac and cheese, to the point where it's expected that I bring a tray or two to any kind of party I'm going to with my friends.

Similar to OP I never had much of a chance to cook up until about two years ago, because my mom kept the fridge stockpiled with just... stuff. Some of which wasn't good, some of which nobody really wanted to eat or cook with, and god forbid you touch any of it. I got yelled at for putting a tub of ice cream in the freezer once because it took up space. I moved out on my own at 26 and am 28 now so I've only really been cooking for 2ish years.

If you've got some money to put into kitchen gadgets, an instant pot (or any electric pressure cooker) is incredibly versatile and great for one-pot meals; a sous vide cooker, vacuum sealer, and some kind of vessel to store the water (there's good food buckets you can use for it, alternatively a biiig deep pot can work as well if you've already got one) can be an incredible way to cook meat.

D

Deleted User

i know very few recipes, but the few i know i consider myself pretty good at, today i made homemade burgers, the tomato looks a bit bigger than it is but its like a 1 cm slice. pd: while flavor wise its great, i often make a mess of the kitchen, mostly when i make fries

Attachments

• 118518243_735141863973410_6035607178392174631_o.jpg
    118518243_735141863973410_6035607178392174631_o.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 235
Last edited by ,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Was taught to make things since I was young. Had access to sharp knives, fire and oven since before I could plausibly reach the worktop without a stepping stool -- sliced and burned myself a few times, learned not to as a result, same applied to the mechanical tools I was given at the same time.

I struggle to do baking by eye and have to measure my ingredients there (being from Europe I do use weights rather than volumes). Others I know can accurately do it by eye and get good results, for things they in turn expect to sell even.
I will however usually figure out good baking substitutions in things or adaptations. Some consider that hard but I have always been taught it and to consider what the ingredient does within something so that might be one of those self imposed mental blocks some have similar to when someone says calculus to a US based maths student.
I can do decorative baking (cutting a cake into the shape of a donkey or whatever some kid wants is no different to cutting a piece of sheet metal/carving a bit of wood to make a decorative sign or something in the broader of strokes) but dislike it. Tasty is better than pretty for most of my purposes.

Cooking wise. That I can do by eye. Will usually make things from scratch if want to -- it is cheaper and tastier*, and if you do it right then quicker as well (and I am all about quicker). Can look at what I have in the fridge and cupboard and figure out things without running off to a cook book.

*other day I did a shepherd's pie with actual lamb mince (most people, including me 95% of the time, use beef mince which technically makes it a cottage pie) and could do decadent things like make the mashed potato topping with evaporated milk, cheese and butter because it is tasty, though I will note the evaporated milk was more because I had some open in the fridge.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty good at cooking, seeing how I'm basically the only one who does it in the house. I can follow recipes pretty well or just eyeball stuff if I have to. Steaks are my favorite thing to cook (and eat :P), and Italian dishes are my jam as well (one day I need to take up making my own pasta). I also make half-decent Mexican food, according to my wife :lol:. I think one day I'd love to go to culinary school and get serious about it, if IT stuff ever kinda bombs on me.

Getting moderately better at baking as well. When I first started baking seriously some 6-7 years ago I was fucking awful at it, but I watched a lot of cooking shows and learned a good amount and can bake most things fairly well. I can bake decent breads (want to try making Sourdough at some point), cookies, brownies especially well, cakes occasionally, cheesecake reasonably well, I tried bagels once, biscuits etc. I think the only thing I haven't baked homemade really have been pies for the most part, beyond perhaps a pumpkin pie (but I was lazy and used premade filling and crust so it doesn't count >.>).

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm generally pretty good at cooking simple to medium-complex dishes. I also love to experiment with different sauces, herbs, and spices. Sometimes I'll accidentally make something amazing, but I very rarely ever make something my family won't eat. We all (mostly) like the same foods.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I think my cooking Skills are not that bad.icecream.gif

But when it comes to make some Pictures of the Results...hmm.....maybe that Skill is really awful....
..or my Camera refuses to take this up.

AtsuNii

AtsuNii's New Beginnings
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I think I can say I'm good at cooking. When I work, I work as a cook in restaurants or cafés. I just love to make people happy with a good meal and love to just make the meal. To see it being cooked, grilled, baked, fried or w/e to perfection. My presentation is a bit shit for restaurant standards, but the taste is good according to plenty of people.

I also love to come up with new recipes, which usually end up being a pretty good meal.

For the most experienced person with my food, ask @DinohScene

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I can't cook and tbf I can't be bothered with it.
To much effort.

Ok,that explains all....icecream.gif

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

I think I can say I'm good at cooking. When I work, I work as a cook in restaurants or cafés. I just love to make people happy with a good meal and love to just make the meal. To see it being cooked, grilled, baked, fried or w/e to perfection. My presentation is a bit shit for restaurant standards, but the taste is good according to plenty of people.

I also love to come up with new recipes, which usually end up being a pretty good meal.

For the most experienced person with my food, ask @DinohScene

Reactions: AtsuNii

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am a good cooker. My roommate enjoyed my cooking. He don't know how, lol. I learned a lot by watching my mom and sometimes my dad's cooking. So I can do that on my own in my own apartment. Go out to eat everyday without knowing how to cook is not a good thing. You should appreciate the cooking. It is a gift for everyone.

Many men would married for the wrong reason: Sex and woman's cooking for men. What a coward. and those men are not a man at all. SMH!

Last edited by spotanjo3,

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
My cooking is... eh, I guess you won't die of it? At least not immediately.
I've fallen horribly out of practice with my cooking, to the point where I can't even make pancakes.
You'd think cooking was like riding a bike, something you never forget.
You would be wrong.
I can still chop and slice and dice and cut and fillet and stuff, but cooking... I burn water.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I should visit Florida again, miss the alligator barbecues
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me and wifey was deciding on our next vacation, so I hung up a map on the wall, and give her a dart and said, wherever you hit, we will go. She threw the dart and it missed the map completely and fell into a trash can below on floor. So I said "ok Florida it is."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @ZeroT21 ohhh a pot cake?
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Gimme some of dat
    +4
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh yeah i don't use weed,in my baking or in general
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides isn't it usually gummies or brownies?
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    So, make a "New Trend"
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i just said i don't use weed
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can add it in anything really, you can even make a butter/oil with it, then use that oil in anything
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent, so telling me to make a cake with cannabis is traumatizing me, ur cancelled buddy /s/srs
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (nah jk i'm just parodying those "i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent" mfs on twitter)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Michigan has legal rec, so you only have few more years, is it 18 or 21 up there? 21 here in Ohio.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    prob 21, idk tho
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Guess I'll go with plan B and make a Rum Vanilla flavored ice cream
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That sounds damn good.
    Nah. Tequila maybe
    That, or Old No. 7
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm ashamed to ask, but what is old no 7?
    Jack Daniels
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh yea, duh
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I still have some old no 7, bout to mix with some coke, and get "California Sober".
    +2
    lol, I finally got you to Enjoy a Coc Tail :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @ZeroT21 oh i bet some rum raisin ice cream is so good

i don't drink, but some rum ice cream might be good
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Rum pecan ice cream is the bomb. Never had rum raisin, but bet be good. My homemade ice cream machine started rust inside so I pitched it, but gotta get a new one, miss making my own ice cream, esp with booze.
    +1
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZVQF0yPnTc +1