Hacking how possible is a 3ds home menu and firmware replacement

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You can actually autoboot into the homebrew channel or a DSi homebrew using Luma3DS. I am autobooting Twilight menu on my 3DS. Closest we’ve gotten to a true custom menu

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: BigOnYa

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
It is possible, it's just a huge undertaking.

It doesn't help that Windows Explorer has eaten my code, and I couldn't find my backups, so my progress has been stalled for over a year now...

Also, just Home Menu replacement alone has been through multiple of the top-level 3DS programmers there are, and they still couldn't make it work, since like what... 2017?
Not saying you couldn't do it, I'm just saying that Nintendo's code is so garbage that even the most skilled couldn't make a working prototype yet.

Even if you were skilled and had high amounts of luck, it's months (or realistically years) worth of overtaking at minimum with ~12+hrs of work every day (weekends included!).

But yeah, it is possible, just hasn't shown a working prototype even due to the above issues.

XRTerra

What if instead of ohio, it was kai cenat land
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Suggestion: Just make a home menu theme. Not very hard, just download Usagi and go from there
Thats kind of shutting down, no? CFW's whole purpose is allowing somebody to push a console to it's limits with homebrew. A custom 3ds home menu like the switch has is absolutely possible, it's just really hard. But remember you guys all agreed n64 emulation was impossible until it wasn't and quite a few games run at full speed.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
First of all some parts of the firmware are already being replaced. Notably Luma3DS includes implementations for loader, pm, pxi and sm system modules. There are a bunch of other modules being reverse engineered.

HOME menu is an entirely different beast and something not many are interested in. Without programming knowledge and reverse engineering skills you will not get far.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Many have had an interest. Some have tried. All have failed.
Gonna guess if you have to ask how hard it is, it's probably beyond your current skill level.
The thing I usually see making people interested in this is to use it as a means to get around the title limits the current 3DS Menu/FW has.

westleyaaj

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Many have had an interest. Some have tried. All have failed.
Gonna guess if you have to ask how hard it is, it's probably beyond your current skill level.
The thing I usually see making people interested in this is to use it as a means to get around the title limits the current 3DS Menu/FW has.
I am going to try away
Yes it is beyond my current skill level but i want to learn

Reactions: ack and BigOnYa

Solegaiter

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
If you go far with the idea, I want to help you, because I think that is a great idea, and I have a little knowledge of C and C++

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool: DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)