Hardware Others How Powerful is a Sega Saturn?

TomodachiWorld

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I know, it is quite powerful compared to a PS1, just no one made games for it at all hardly seemingly, and was good when it came to 2D graphics. But was still great for 3D if coded properly.

Reactions: Alexander1970

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
You might be interested in these channels, they're by one of the co-founders of Travellers Tales and he goes through some of the techniques used on the Saturn in some videos:
https://www.youtube.com/c/GameHut
https://www.youtube.com/c/CodingSecrets

The general word I hear is that it‘s 3D was different from what we know as the norm (quads instead of tris) and had a complicated architecture to master (e.g. dual CPUs, DSP, etc.).

TomodachiWorld

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might be interested in these channels, they're by one of the co-founders of Travellers Tales and he goes through some of the techniques used on the Saturn in some videos:
The general word I hear is that it‘s 3D was different from what we know as the norm (quads instead of tris) and had a complicated architecture to master (e.g. dual CPUs, DSP, etc.).
Thanks!

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yep pretty much, it was a pain to code for but at least as beefy as the PlayStation when people with the knowledge took the time to make the best of it, and it was a beast for 2D. Loved mine. Saturn Bomberman is still the best multiplayer game.

Reactions: TomodachiWorld

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It might have been more powerful than a PlayStation, but my understanding is that it was such a nightmare to program for that it turned off many developers from wanting to work with the system, it's weaker sales probably didn't help either. This is also probably why it took so long before a decent speed Saturn emulator became widely available, despite more powerful systems, including the Dreamcast, seeing more viable emulators released long before then.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Good Morning.:)

From what I know, it is quite powerful compared to a PS1, just no one made games for it at all hardly seemingly, and was good when it came to 2D graphics. But was still great for 3D if coded properly.

Dual CPU plus 6 Co Processores.

more-power.gif

If someday someone is able to "use" these Gems as planned (achieve,that all 8 Units working "parallel"),
even Games like Far Cry in Polygon Graphics would run in 704 × 480 on it.:rofl2:
(Game from a Cartridge and Digital Sound from CD)

But.....Unfortunately,Time and Technology had a different Opinion on this Console.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9PnFJMnYT0