How to combine/merge/join all parts of a file?

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
Don't ya just love it when the person asking for help proceeds to disagree with the answer they are given...

Its a multi part archive, they're pretty much redundant nowadays but they exist because back in the day, people would be using floppy disks to move stuff around and with only 1.44Mb of space this quickly becomes a problem. You could simply split your 5Mb file into 5 1Mb archives, stick each onto its own disc and carry 5 floppies. Then when you get to your destination you simply copy all 5 files back into a folder, extract part 1 and the software recombines everything for you, no mess, no fuss.

The answer 100% is to copy all 3 parts into a folder together the using WinRAR extract part 1, when it reaches the end of part 1 it will look for part 2, find it in the same folder and carry on, same for part 3 and 4 and 5 etc etc until it reaches the end. It knows how many parts there should be so if anything is missing it will tell you that as well.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
off topic, but I think I should put this somewhere as many of the other posts will see them merged. anyway, I'm going to take off for the day, feeling really hot like I need to lay down. see ya.

• Sad
Reactions: Lostbhoy

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Don't ya just love it when the person asking for help proceeds to disagree with the answer they are given...

Its a multi part archive, they're pretty much redundant nowadays but they exist because back in the day, people would be using floppy disks to move stuff around and with only 1.44Mb of space this quickly becomes a problem. You could simply split your 5Mb file into 5 1Mb archives, stick each onto its own disc and carry 5 floppies. Then when you get to your destination you simply copy all 5 files back into a folder, extract part 1 and the software recombines everything for you, no mess, no fuss.

The answer 100% is to copy all 3 parts into a folder together the using WinRAR extract part 1, when it reaches the end of part 1 it will look for part 2, find it in the same folder and carry on, same for part 3 and 4 and 5 etc etc until it reaches the end. It knows how many parts there should be so if anything is missing it will tell you that as well.
Basically.... This! Can't believe this has run 2 pages lol

Should probably also mention if any or all of the rar parts are corrupted you ain't getting nothing. Try to redownload it or find another source in that case.

GAMEBOYADVANCETEMPORARY

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I extracted part1.rar and I used YuZu "install files to NAND" to install the game but the game does not appear in the YuZu main window after installation is complete.

I tried to load the containing folder but YuZu says that the main file is missing in the containing folder.

I also tried to load the file but this causes YuZu to become not responding and I must terminate it with Task Manager.

All the files have nsp extension.

I don't think that 7-Zip can join all the three parts.
I think that I should try WinRaR or WinZip instead.

Last edited by GAMEBOYADVANCETEMPORARY,

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I extracted part1.rar and I used YuZu "install files to NAND" to install the game but the game does not appear in the YuZu main window after installation is complete.

I tried to load the containing folder but YuZu says that the main file is missing in the containing folder.

I also tried to load the file but this causes YuZu to become not responding and I must terminate it with Task Manager.

All the files have nsp extension.

I don't think that 7-Zip can join all the three parts.
I think that I should try WinRaR or WinZip instead.
Install files to NAND is meant for installing game updates and DLC so if you are using it to try and install a game, it won't work. You have to use the add new game directory option and point it to the folder where your games are. It should recognize any XCI or NSP files it finds.

Last edited by ILuvGames,

GAMEBOYADVANCETEMPORARY

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Install files to NAND is meant for installing game updates and DLC so if you are using it to try and install a game, it won't work. You have to use the add new game directory option and point it to the folder where your games are. It should recognize any XCI orNSP files it finds.
Thank you. I am really a new YuZu user.

Reactions: ILuvGames

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I already know that and 7-zip did extract part1.rar but it didn't look for part2.rar and part3.rar and the extracted files of part1.rar are incomplete without part2.rar and part3.rar and can't be used for anything.
It should automatically know this it is a split acrhive. Unless the files are missing or corrupt, they are automatically used/added without you having to do anything else.

GAMEBOYADVANCETEMPORARY

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
It should automatically know this it is a split acrhive. Unless the files are missing or corrupt, they are automatically used/added without you having to do anything else.
I am glad to read this.
part1.rar contains only one folder and I added it to YuZu after the extraction was complete but I don't see the logo of the game nor a button to start it.

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am glad to read this.
part1.rar contains only one folder and I added it to YuZu after the extraction was complete but I don't see the logo of the game nor a button to start it.
If you are still having problems, delete the folder and try again. Doesn't matter if you use 7-zip or Winrar. They'll both do the same thing equally well, it's just that 7-zip supports a few more formats than Winrar and is updated more frequently. It's also completely free, unlike Winrar,

Reactions: MicroNut99

GAMEBOYADVANCETEMPORARY

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
If you are still having problems, delete the folder and try again. Doesn't matter if you use 7-zip or Winrar. They'll both do the same thing equally well, it's just that 7-zip supports a few more formats than Winrar and is updated more frequently. It's also completely free, unlike Winrar,
This is hilarious to read that a free software is better than a paid software.

GAMEBOYADVANCETEMPORARY

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Nothing wrong with paid software if it does what you want it to do and/or is easy to use.
But why to pay for a software that can solve your problem if there is a free software that can also solve your problem?

I am pretty sure that everyone prefers a free solution more than a solution that costs real money.

Besides 7zip is very easy to use and free so why prefer WinRaR or WinZip more than 7zip?

Last edited by GAMEBOYADVANCETEMPORARY,

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WinRaR is free? This is not what I see when I visit the WinRaR official website.

ILuvGames also said that 7zip is free unlike WinRaR and 7zip gets more updates than WinRaR.
He's wrong on so many levels

2ad9dddcfb8eafad3a8b4cf3c3c3f941.jpg
bcd40d7a839810d993af1cb596515e01.jpg

Last edited by Shadow#1,

GAMEBOYADVANCETEMPORARY

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
He's wrong on so many levels

2ad9dddcfb8eafad3a8b4cf3c3c3f941.jpg
bcd40d7a839810d993af1cb596515e01.jpg
Are you telling me that ILuvGames lied to me?

So the latest release of 7-Zip is a few months old. What about WinRaR and WinZip? How much old are their latest releases?

If what you, Shadow#1, telling me is the truth then this can be worthwhile to buy WinRaR or WinZip instead of downloading and installing 7-Zip if features and support that are only available in WinRaR or WinZip are needed then.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto