How to not suck at shopping at a grocery store.

bnwchbammer

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So as you may or may not know, I work at a grocery store, and I can't help but notice that people suck at shopping.
So here's a list of what to do and what not to do.
Read the screen when there's that thing for swiping credit cards and such.
If you don't know what to do, ask the cashier, we know much more than you about how things work around wherever.
I don't give a shit what the cost of produce is, unless you can tell me the 4 digit code, shut the hell up.
I don't give a shit what you think the price of something is.
If you're about to argue a price, know a few things
1-I love proving customers wrong
2-Have proof or be 100% positive you're correct.
(Proof being an ad in the paper, being positive is by being sure the sticker is for the product, you can check the UPC)
3-If you're wrong, I am highly satisfied, because "The customer is always right" rule is stupid.
4-If you're right, I'll be happy to change the price (Store coupon that shit) for you.*
*I'll only be happy if you weren't a prick about it in the first place
If you aren't doing anything and there isn't a bagger, bag your shit! I will love you forever.
Read the screen. (Yes I put it twice, perhaps if you didn't read it the first time you'll read it this time)
Say hi before telling me other shit. I don't know you, I'm not really paying attention to you until you say hi to me.
If you're paying with cash, I dislike it when you give me change unless you have it ready before I tell you the total.
If you're paying with check I hate you unless you have it all filled out before hand besides the price which you are filling out as I am telling you the total.
If you're paying with debit or credit I love you unless you didn't read the fucking screen and can't listen to me when I tell you what to do.
If you don't listen to me I will mumble something to myself that may be audible to the people behind you that may have to do with you being a fucking idiot.
In general, don't be a prick. I could easily charge you more without you realizing it.
If you're gonna argue anything, please be sure to explain stuff in the greatest detail you possibly can. Mention absolutely everything that comes to mind on the topic you're arguing about.
Cashiers who are older than 25 or so hate their job because they are stuck at a crappy career and feel as if they have failed at life.
Cashiers who are younger than 25 or so minorly dislike their job. (This opinion varies)
Baggers are either highly knowledgeable of the store, or are mentally challenged.
Customer service people hate you. Be nice to them and perhaps your transaction will go well and they'll decide not to hate you. It'll make their day better.
Managers don't care about customers. They care that cashiers, baggers, and customer service people are doing their jobs well.
So I think that's that...
NOTE:
These views are not the views of the grocery store I am employed at.
(Throwin that shit in there in case I get in trouble)
Hope that makes you're shopping experience better for the both of us!
I will probably be back with more depressed blogs later!
Well... hopefully not.
Peace!

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I definitely will not be shopping at the store you work at. Though I am behind you 100 percentile, because the same thing applies to Fast Food (Wendys where I work in particular). I get pricks, stupid people, and deaf people. The funny thing is deaf people are the most reasonable people to get orders from. Grab a pen, and some receipt paper, then ring it up exactly as they say write. Assemble, give reciept, and they are outta there, no words are even exchanged!
wink.gif

bnwchbammer

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
juggernaut911 said:
bnwchbammer said:
In general, don't be a prick. I could easily charge you more without you realizing it.
In general, don't charge extra. I could easily tell you manager and get you fired without a second thought.
I didn't say I will, I said I could. And the beauty of the interwebs is that you don't know where I live nor where I work. (Not exactly at least)

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, you sound like a lazy, ignorant, and unsocial person. You seem to hate just about everyone, and on top of that, you act like you just might kill someone if they try to start a friendly conversation with you.

Also,

bnwchbammer said:
If you're paying with cash, I dislike it when you give me change unless you have it ready before I tell you the total.
Do you think they're freaking psychic?

If you hate your job so much just like everyone that works there as well, why not quit? Obviously the "harsh" environment you work in is too much, and you'd rather post a big shitstorm on here than sucking it up and getting paychecks, so you might as well.

EDIT: And no, I'm not angry at all right now, but seeing people like you who act like everyone just needs to die makes me lose a little bit more faith in the human race.

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
bnwchbammer said:
3-If you're wrong, I am highly satisfied, because "The customer is always right" rule is stupid.
Except they don't mean it literally like that, they mean that you'll bend over backwards for them as their business means the most to the store.

This whole post came off as a bitter employee who feels like ranting about their job and minor pet hates because it somehow helps them feel better about their poor choice of a career. Please explain to me what makes you think you somehow have a right to overcharge, not saying you do, but saying "i said i could" implies that you believe that doing so is still not wrong.

Also in America they have people who's job is to bag the groceries? Here the person working the register does it too.

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
I remember once at a Stater Bros. (local Inland Empire chain) there was an uber fast bagger who bagged our groceries. Like arms were blurry fast, boom boom boom fast, like holy shit if there were competitions for this he would win fast.

Kind of off topic, but you reminded me of that.

@above: most stores (at least where I'm at) have people floating around the checkstands bagging groceries, if not the checker does most and the buyer usually helps some. Some stores like WinCo are 100% buyer bag only.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Part of being a cashier is to interact with the customers and greet them and sometimes even have a nice conversation with them. If you don't like it I think it's time to find a new job. If I had your job and some old lady started talking to me I would make her day by talking to her , it's not hard.

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have a job similar to yours, and deep down, I dislike it.

I get through it by actively trying to enjoy what I'm doing, or at least to smile.

Try it sometime. It makes the time pass faster, at least.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
bnwchbammer said:
If you're about to argue a price, know a few things
1-I love proving customers wrong
2-Have proof or be 100% positive you're correct.
(Proof being an ad in the paper, being positive is by being sure the sticker is for the product, you can check the UPC)
4-If you're right, I'll be happy to change the price (Store coupon that shit) for you.*
*I'll only be happy if you weren't a prick about it in the first place
Hmm... I work at a Till and got told that if a customer argues a price and are kicking up a fuss about it you put it through at that price. It makes your life a hell of a lot easier. Usually its because something's been mispriced elsewhere in the store or the product's price has been changed on the Till and not on the shelf. Its illegal (in Britain) to charge more than the price shown on the shelf.
Some customer's are jerks but your whole blog makes you out to be the jerk here.

George Dawes

Wanker
Trophies
Website
www.indymedia.org.uk
XP
Country
Chad
It isn't illegal in the UK to charge more than the SEL says.

The SEL price is an 'invitation to treat', as a customer you can attempt to purchase at that price but the checkout operator is allowed to refuse to sell it at that (or any) price (in the case of mistakes etc).

It is illegal to display the wrong price purposefully, in an attempt to get people to purchase. Genuine mistakes are obviously legal.

Leamonde.Halcyon

6x9=42
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is the kind of list that belongs on Retail Hell Underground.
smile.gif

I feel your pain, I worked briefly in retail and it feels like walking in the door of a store turns perfectly normal people into mentally deficient fuckwads with privilege sticks up their asses. The arrogant sneers. The superiority complex of being a -customer- there to be -served- by the retail slave. The circular logic and refusal to be denied that which they want and therefore believe is their right as -customers-. The temper tantrums. The orders. The demands. The insults. The chants that every customer marches out in your face, treating you like a retarded child that doesn't know their place.

A large portion of the world treat retail slaves like slaves, there to scrape and bow and kiss their asses just so they'll buy $5 bullshit items there instead of *competitor store*. It's ridiculous and demeaning.

And I've seen people I know who are normally perfectly nice people make this bizarre behavior transformation upon entering a store. It's embarrassing to admit knowing them when they suddenly turn into raging foaming-at-the-mouth i-want-it-now divas.

I don't know, maybe it's more pronounced in the U.S., but being a retail slave means being subject to the worst of almost every person that walks through the door.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Leamonde.Halcyon said:
This is the kind of list that belongs on Retail Hell Underground.
smile.gif

I feel your pain, I worked briefly in retail and it feels like walking in the door of a store turns perfectly normal people into mentally deficient fuckwads with privilege sticks up their asses. The arrogant sneers. The superiority complex of being a -customer- there to be -served- by the retail slave. The circular logic and refusal to be denied that which they want and therefore believe is their right as -customers-. The temper tantrums. The orders. The demands. The insults. The chants that every customer marches out in your face, treating you like a retarded child that doesn't know their place.

A large portion of the world treat retail slaves like slaves, there to scrape and bow and kiss their asses just so they'll buy $5 bullshit items there instead of *competitor store*. It's ridiculous and demeaning.

And I've seen people I know who are normally perfectly nice people make this bizarre behavior transformation upon entering a store. It's embarrassing to admit knowing them when they suddenly turn into raging foaming-at-the-mouth i-want-it-now divas.

I don't know, maybe it's more pronounced in the U.S., but being a retail slave means being subject to the worst of almost every person that walks through the door.
According to some people it's our capitalist/consumer economy, but political debates in a unintended topic is a big no! I have a zipper for a reason.
wink.gif
I have to say, where I work (which is right by a wal-mart) get's bigger shares of customer fuckwads then most Wendys. You just learn to deal with the little shit, and challenge the people who start physical shit with you. In fact, I saw a McDonalds employee pull someone through the window who had just puposely thrown a full glass of soda at him.

Julian Sidewind

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Where i live, in any retail store, if the price is posted incorrectly lower than it is, there is a by-law that they have to give it to you for that price. Customer protection something or other.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87... +1