Tutorial  Updated

How to perform a System Transfer without losing non-legitimate titles

Nintendo 3DS System Transfer Tutorial by PrincessLillie​

"How do I do a system transfer without losing my homebrew?"
This is a question that seems to get asked a lot, so I figured I'd write a tutorial on how to do it to put an end to the countless threads.

What You Need
  • The latest release of faketik (the .3dsx file)

Instructions
  1. Ensure that both of your devices are updated by going to System Settings, then “Other Settings”, then going all the way to the right and using “System Update”.
    • Updates while using boot9strap and Luma3DS are safe. However, please make sure the Luma3DS version is 10.2.1 or newer before updating.
    • If you are on arm9loaderhax (Luma3DS v7.0.5 or older), please follow A9LH to B9S.
    • If the System Update gives you an error, set your DNS settings to “auto”.
    • If the System Update still gives you an error, follow CTRTransfer, then try updating again.
  2. Perform a PC-based System Transfer as normal.
  3. Install Luma3DS and boot9strap on your new system with Nintendo Homebrew's 3DS Hacks Guide.
    • If your system already has boot9strap installed, this step is not required.
  4. Power off your device.
  5. Insert your SD card into your computer.
  6. Create a folder named '3ds' on the root of your SD card if it does not already exist.
  7. Copy faketik.3dsx to the /3ds/ folder on your SD card.
  8. Reinsert the SD card into your device.
  9. Power on your device.
  10. Open the Homebrew Launcher.
  11. Launch faketik from the list of homebrew.
  12. Wait patiently while faketik generates new tickets for your non-legitimate applications and games.
    • This may take some time if you have a lot of non-legitimate applications or games. Please be patient.
  13. Once it finishes, press START or B to exit.
  14. Close the Homebrew Launcher and return to the HOME Menu.

Your non-legitimate titles should now appear on the HOME Menu. They may be wrapped. If you have a lot of titles, you can mass-unwrap them with Cthulhu. As for your save data, it should still be intact when you start your games.

If anything is wrong with this guide, please let me know, either by replying or via DM. Thank you.

Last edited by PrincessLillie,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm just afraid I won't be able to perform a System Transfer if the 2 systems aren't the same region.
System Transfer between two units that aren't the same region is not possible. This is well-established.

(To be fair, you could possibly hammer out some kludgy workaround that will leave you with new and unfamiliar problems, but it's best not to go there.)

StickMan64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
System Transfer between two units that aren't the same region is not possible. This is well-established.

(To be fair, you could possibly hammer out some kludgy workaround that will leave you with new and unfamiliar problems, but it's best not to go there.)
Is it possible for me to use homebrew to change the region of the target 3ds and then perform a system transfer?

awesomelink234

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can this be done from a New 3DS to an Old 3DS? I recently bought a new (Old) 3DS XL after the screen on my New 3DS got all cracked and was wondering if that could be done THAT way.

weegee437

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Howdy! n3dsxl user here. as of october 2023, does this still work for n3dsxl to n3dsxl? i REALLY wanna make sure before transfering my data. i know nintendo likes messing with the homebrew community when releasing their firmware updates, so i want to know if one of their recent (last) updates broke this tutorial.

thanks in advance.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Howdy! n3dsxl user here. as of october 2023, does this still work for n3dsxl to n3dsxl? i REALLY wanna make sure before transfering my data. i know nintendo likes messing with the homebrew community when releasing their firmware updates, so i want to know if one of their recent (last) updates broke this tutorial.

thanks in advance.

You can do n3dsxl to n3dsxl if they are in the same region.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If all else fails, you can just re-install your games and then restore your save data from backups made with Checkpoint.

And you should be regularly making backups with Checkpoint regardless of whether you are doing a System Transfer or not.

Reactions: weegee437

BobbyFulbright

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know it must be annoying for questions like this to be asked all the time, but would this still work for a New 3ds XL to New 2ds XL transfer, as of November 16th, 2023? I don't know anything about the programming behind all of this, so I want to make sure I don't mess up either system.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
I know it must be annoying for questions like this to be asked all the time, but would this still work for a New 3ds XL to New 2ds XL transfer, as of November 16th, 2023? I don't know anything about the programming behind all of this, so I want to make sure I don't mess up either system.
Yes. This should work until the System Transfer server is shut down, which probably won't be for a very long time.

S-Mania

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Sorry for replying on an old post, but I had a quick question that I don't think was fully covered. After the system transfer, do I just swap SD cards? Aka: put the old card from the old 3DS in the new system and the SD card from the new system in the old 3DS. Both SD cards are micro sd btw (old 3DS one has an adapter). Is it that easy? The new 3DS might recognise everything from the old SD card (since everything was transferred over and is the same), but will the old 3DS recognise the SD card that was in the new 3DS (with the CFW used to hack the new 3DS)? Both my old regular 3DS XL and my new NEW 3DS XL have been modded, just on different firmwares (the new one on 11.04.0-37E and the old one on 11.17) and then updated as directed by the guide during the modding process.

Sorry, it's just confusing me a little lol 🤣 If you need any more information, please reply here or DM me, I'm happy to help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: good morning everyone