How to play custom wads with DsDoom

Since there is no explicit tutorial and the topic is interesting and quite requested, I decided to make one myself.

1) First of all the wads/megawads must be vanilla/Boom/PrBoom compatible, the older ones are ideal and rarely crash (Memento Mori, Alien Vendetta, Scythe, Community Chest etc.), the most recent ones often give problems. The .pk3 files, typical of ZDoom/GZDoom, are not PrBoom/DsDoom compatible.

2) I recommend to insert the wads in a proper folder in the root of the micro SD, for reasons of order (a folder for mods/deh files, one for wads/deh files, one for bgms, etc.).

3) The first method consists in editing the PrBoom.cfg file (with DSOrganize or another DS file manager) by adding the line 'dir/name.wad' in quotes after wadfile_1, where dir is the folder containing the wads, and the same must be done for any .deh files, if required. (maximum 2 wads and 2 deh). Gameplay mods, total conversions and music wads can also be used (those only if in .mus format, created with midi2mus tool).

4) The second method consists in using HBMenu and creating a file.txt (which will eventually be renamed file.argv) to be edited as follows: 'DsDoom.nds -file dir/name.wad'. Then start HBmenu and select that .argv file, and remember to select the right Iwad to match the custom wad in the DsDoom menu (often it is Doom 2).

P.S. Remember that some wads, despite being PrBoom compatible (like older versions of Freedoom) often crash/freeze when saving. The only way I know of continuing to the next map is by using HBMenu and adding the command line '-warp m' inside the .argv file, where m is the desired map number.

Greetings to all old and new video game fanatics/maniacs around the world. Resign yourself, this is a (pleasant) illness for which (fortunately) there is no cure. And forgive my bad english.

Purplstuph

Quake Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can't give an explanation. On mine it works perfectly. Do you have the latest version of TWLMenu? Have you set the options to DSi mode and DSi Ram? Try consulting the thread in the link I posted earlier.
I can't change the settings as they are locked in. But yes, they are both in dsi mode. As for the vram boost thing, it's missing from the settings menu. Using the latest release from 5 days ago, twlmenu++ v25.4.0

Purplstuph

Quake Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Have you consulted the thread I suggested? What exploit do you use to start TWLMenu? Try launching the game through HBmenu, but I don't guarantee it will work. 😑
I use memory pit with unlaunch. I tried HBmenu, It didn't work, i tried through unlaunch, also didn't work. Not sure what to do now other than giving up.

• Sad
Reactions: Nikokaro

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I use memory pit with unlaunch.
I am afraid that the problem may depend on the use of Memory Pit. In the past this has given "guru meditation error" problems with various homebrews. In fact, I used to use that too, and playing with DSDoom, various Doom megawads would often crash: now with Flipnote Lenny I have had no more problems. If you can, try another exploit. I have no other solutions.

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am afraid that the problem may depend on the use of Memory Pit. In the past this has given "guru meditation error" problems with various homebrews. In fact, I used to use that too, and playing with DSDoom, various Doom megawads would often crash: now with Flipnote Lenny I have had no more problems. If you can, try another exploit. I have no other solutions.
Memory pit does not reset the sound capture hardware. This cause memory corruption and crashes. The latest version of twilight menu++ is supposed to address this issue.

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@Purplstuph ,I tried Doom64 using Memory Pit as an exploit and launched it via TWLMenu and it works perfectly. I specify that I still use the DSi ofw, so I assume it is Unlaunch that is incompatible with this homebrew. Maybe someone else with Unlaunch can contradict or confirm this assumption trying this game. 🤔

paypaliceland

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I load DSDoom it doesn't ever let me select between .wad files... It always just loads Doom II even though I speicified both in prboom.cfg
any ideas why? Am i doing something wrong? I have to delete Doom II to run Doom.

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Remember that you must use DSDoom SVN and not the older version, and you must put the 4 basic wads (Doom, Doom2, TNT, Plutonia) in the root of the SD card. When it starts it presents you with this menu where you can select the wad you are interested in:

fW7IeRB.jpg

If you are using a DS Phat or Lite keep in mind that the game is very unstable, and sometimes crashes during saves or in the presence of hordes of several monsters at once. In fact, 4 MB of RAM is often insufficient. I recommend, if possible, to play it on DSi from SD card via TwilightMenu: so you can even use the many available custom episodes and megawads (vanilla or PrBoom compatible) by creating special .argv files, as explained above, without using HBMenu.

P.S. You don't need to edit PrBoom.cfg if you do as I said. Just leave the default one unmodified. You will be able to conveniently select the 4 classic titles in the initial menu.

Last edited by Nikokaro,

paypaliceland

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remember that you must use DSDoom SVN and not the older version, and you must put the 4 basic wads (Doom, Doom2, TNT, Plutonia) in the root of the SD card. When it starts it presents you with this menu where you can select the wad you are interested in:

View attachment 383270

If you are using a DS Phat or Lite keep in mind that the game is very unstable, and sometimes crashes during saves or in the presence of hordes of several monsters at once. In fact, 4 MB of RAM is often insufficient. I recommend, if possible, to play it on DSi from SD card via TwilightMenu: so you can even use the many available custom episodes and megawads (vanilla or PrBoom compatible) by creating special .argv files, as explained above, without using HBMenu.

P.S. You don't need to edit PrBoom.cfg if you do as I said. Just leave the default one unmodified. You will be able to conveniently select the 4 classic titles in the initial menu.
wait what is DSDoom SVN? I think I do have the old version dammit... Also yes I use the DSi for Doom but not on the SD card on my R4 but if you say its better that way I'll do it that way :)

Edit: Found SVN version :) yayy gonna try this mf thanks gang

Edit again: the music is fucked up and the touch screen doesn't work now but I can select between files :(

Last edited by paypaliceland,

paypaliceland

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Nikokaro do you know if there is any way to get the original music back with this? I’ve looked all over for a replacement GENMIDI file but that doesn’t work. And the touchscreen, is it just not available on this version? I wonder why these key features are missing :/

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@Nikokaro do you know if there is any way to get the original music back with this? I’ve looked all over for a replacement GENMIDI file but that doesn’t work. And the touchscreen, is it just not available on this version? I wonder why these key features are missing :/
You are right. The bgms are hideous and intolerable: croaking, hissing, out of tune. In truth, these are the original melodies, albeit warped,"mangled" and unrecognizable.
I don't know of any way to improve the default musics, but you could alternatively try other music wads (created with Mid2Mus software) that you'll find here, but only those containing .mus files (not .mid files, not supported):
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/music/
As already explained, as for other wads you will need to use an .argv file containing a string similar to this: "DSDoom.nds -file dir/BGM.wad" and launch it via TwilightMenu.

Regarding the touchscreen, in my opinion it's not much of a loss, partly because mine no longer responds accurately, and to shoot up or down it's enough to set the auto-aim.

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are right. The bgms are hideous and intolerable: croaking, hissing, out of tune. In truth, these are the original melodies, albeit warped,"mangled" and unrecognizable.
I don't know of any way to improve the default musics, but you could alternatively try other music wads (created with Mid2Mus software) that you'll find here, but only those containing .mus files (not .mid files, not supported):
As already explained, as for other wads you will need to use an .argv file containing a string similar to this: "DSDoom.nds -file dir/BGM.wad" and launch it via TwilightMenu.

Regarding the touchscreen, in my opinion it's not much of a loss, partly because mine no longer responds accurately, and to shoot up or down it's enough to set the auto-aim.
I think the music issue is that the nds music code was taken from the heretic port. The issue being that the doom music and the heretic music play at different rates. So it sounds horrible. I vaguely recall pointing this out at the time but no one ever fixed it.

paypaliceland

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

are the music wads just files that play the music? I'm a little confused...

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
are the music wads just files that play the music? I'm a little confused...
They are music tracks in .mus format corresponding to the individual levels of Doom 2, all contained in a single archive in .wad format, to be launched as I have already clarified.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Deeze nuts