How to prevent paint chipping on new 3DS XL

baba91

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nigeria
I recently got a New 3DS XL majoras mask version model. it somehow came out of a regular black N3DS XL box.

I really dont want the paint to be chipped as Ive heard that happens
I ordered some clear case from Aliexpress and are those okay? I dont want something poorly and cheaply made

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003151548733.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.59366dd3X5Fabb&algo_pvid=47eb6c3d-99e6-4fa5-b3c2-f26c8dac2959&algo_exp_id=47eb6c3d-99e6-4fa5-b3c2-f26c8dac2959-11&pdp_ext_f=%7B"sku_id"%3A"12000024376424994"%7D&pdp_pi=-1%3B668.77%3B-1%3B555.13%40salePrice%3BPKR%3Bsearch-mainSearch

Reactions: Melley420
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
It happened to me and it fucking pissed me off. I haven't tried the case you linked to but doubt something that's only US $3.59 will not be cheaply made. Other members can probably link you to better cases. You might make a profit selling your 3DS and buying one which isn't the Majora's Mask model.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently got a New 3DS XL majoras mask version model. it somehow came out of a regular black N3DS XL box.

I really dont want the paint to be chipped as Ive heard that happens
I ordered some clear case from Aliexpress and are those okay? I dont want something poorly and cheaply made

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003151548733.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.59366dd3X5Fabb&algo_pvid=47eb6c3d-99e6-4fa5-b3c2-f26c8dac2959&algo_exp_id=47eb6c3d-99e6-4fa5-b3c2-f26c8dac2959-11&pdp_ext_f=%7B"sku_id"%3A"12000024376424994"%7D&pdp_pi=-1%3B668.77%3B-1%3B555.13%40salePrice%3BPKR%3Bsearch-mainSearch
I've had mine since it's launch no chipped paint at all

Reactions: baba91

baba91

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nigeria
It happened to me and it fucking pissed me off. I haven't tried the case you linked to but doubt something that's only US $3.59 will not be cheaply made. Other members can probably link you to better cases. You might make a profit selling your 3DS and buying one which isn't the Majora's Mask model.
I can only get it from aliexpress probably, ebay wont work here
they are all cheap here on aliexpress so someone owning one can tell me if they are actually worth having

I think ill keep it since i doubt anyone here is gonna pay too much for a special edition. they dont know its value

I've had mine since it's launch no chipped paint at all
how did u keep it protected? I hear sweat can cause it to chip
was it the new 3ds xl model with glossy paint?

Svinorin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've noticed a lot of the red ones tend to chip, at least is the case from friends and posts I've seen online. Don't think there's much to be done in the way of preventative measures other than not stressing the the plastic it's adhered to. I think it's more a case of factory defect with the surfaces not being properly cleaned before the paint being adhered to it, or the paint itself having a bad batch.

Shadow#1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can only get it from aliexpress probably, ebay wont work here
they are all cheap here on aliexpress so someone owning one can tell me if they are actually worth having

I think ill keep it since i doubt anyone here is gonna pay too much for a special edition. they dont know its value

how did u keep it protected? I hear sweat can cause it to chip
was it the new 3ds xl model with glossy paint?
The one this thread is about

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just be careful taking off the back when you need access to the sd card. I chipped mine after about 100+ times opening it up, so I bought a replacement. not a big deal if you have a normal n3ds xl, but I have a limited edition, so I had to buy a complete shell housing from eeshop.com. no issues since. I'm much more careful now btw. if you have just a normal system, a back is like $6 or was from Nintendo. they're probably not too costly.

baba91

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nigeria
I have a blue N3DSXL, and it chips out no matter what I do. I guess getting a case would be a good choice if you wanna preserve its back.
Ok, is it worse for certain colors? someone else here said red ones chip more too
If it does chip too much for your liking, you can find replacement shells on Aliexpress, the one you'd want is this one here
thanks

I would prefer not to use a fake but its better than nothingg
just be careful taking off the back when you need access to the sd card. I chipped mine after about 100+ times opening it up, so I bought a replacement. not a big deal if you have a normal n3ds xl, but I have a limited edition, so I had to buy a complete shell housing from eeshop.com. no issues since. I'm much more careful now btw. if you have just a normal system, a back is like $6 or was from Nintendo. they're probably not too costly.
Its MM version and I hear they stopped making those a long time ago
I have mine protected with one of these protectors and has been very useful!!! 6 years and still like new, I'll post photos later today.
Nice, which one did you use ?
was it some random cheap protector or a branded one

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks

I would prefer not to use a fake but its better than nothingg
Oh if you aren't aware, those aliexpress shells are legit, they legit come right off the assembly line; illegally I'm sure, but those are not fake, I can tell you first hand, plus I've seen others agree, they are the real deal.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,
Reactions: baba91

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have some chipped paint areas on mine and I think its spreading slowly, what do i do?
id say the main thing. is to wipe down the console after each use. or what you remember. as any lingering sweat will start to work away at the paint on the console.

Shadow#1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
id say the main thing. is to wipe down the console after each use. or what you remember. as any lingering sweat will start to work away at the paint on the console.
Guess I'm not a sweaty person after all as my systems barely have these problems if at all

Chupi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the "galaxy style" N3DSXL and while its exterior paint hasn't chipped since I have it in a clear soft silicone shell, I did damage a little paint at the bottom left corner of the touchscreen border. I had put a screen protector on but had to remove it because there were a bunch of bubbles I couldn't work out of it. I couldn't get it to come up so I followed the manufacturer suggestion to use a bit of tape to lift it. It didn't work, but it lifted a bit of the paint.

Different models seem to use different color plastic under the paint. The galaxy style ones have a deep blue plastic so it really isn't very visible. I think the bottom plate and probably lid top plastic is different though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.acepcs.com/products/wizbox-g-mini-pc-amd-r7-7735hs lol wizbox