cyberstudio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you but if you get loader.dol 6.498, the current latest

https://github.com/FIX94/Nintendont/blob/master/loader/loader.dol?raw=true

and rename it as boot.dol in your apps/Nintendont folder, and have only one drive in your enclosure (it should skip an non-existent drive fine) can you get back to HBC?

Just wish to narrow down the problem.

For Wiiflow - if you would try d2x-v10-beta52 and see if after a long idle? In the d2x-v10 single drive days Wiiflow worked great on my vWii but I cannot get it to run on my Wii. Just wish to narrow down if this is an old problem or a new problem.

We have to be realistic - there is no way we will be able to resolve all freezes. My goal is only to not introduce new ones.

Thanks again!

Reactions: Akiranon

Akiranon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for the pointers. Did some testing using both the official latest version as well as your mod. Tested using two different games: Four Swords Adventures; Super Smash Bros Melee

Soft reset results:

Official version:
Nintendont loader: Success
Wiiflow: Success

Nintendont Loader 7.7-cyberstudio10:
Nintendont loader with 2 drives: freeze
Nintendont loader with 1 drive: freeze
Wiiflow with 2 drives: freeze
Wiiflow with 1 drive: freeze

Will try to test out the old version of d2x as well in a bit. Will edit this post when tested.

EDIT: D'oh, I'm an idiot. Already put back the drive in the enclosure, so of course it's not gonna work anymore >_< To be honest, I don't really mind using USB Loader GX. I also believe that this won't be a problem anymore when Nintendont is loading the games from USB instead of the SD card. Nintendont would probably keep the drive alive.

Just wanted to let you know that I really appreciate the work you're doing! I really do believe that you're creating the best setup for a Wii U. I know I'm really excited about using your mod, because it frees up a USB port. That allows me to use all my peripherals (USB ethernet, Gamecube adapter) without having to resort to powered USB docks. It's also really nice that it works without ustealth.

Last edited by Akiranon,

cyberstudio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just to ascertain the steps...
  • launch Nintendont from HBC
  • choose USB
  • play a game (optional? necessary?)
  • press HOME HOME to exit to HBC
Expected behaviour: HBC comes up
Observed behaviour: freeze (black screen?)

Are these correct?

Pin1988

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Guys, this sounds extremely promising... Not having to switch drives around could be a big deal for the wii u! Maybe I'm gonna need a dual drive enclosure too :-)

Akiranon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just to ascertain the steps...
  • launch Nintendont from HBC
  • choose USB
  • play a game (optional? necessary?)
  • press HOME HOME to exit to HBC
Expected behaviour: HBC comes up
Observed behaviour: freeze (black screen?)

Are these correct?
Can confirm that loading back to HBC when not selecting a game is working fine. The issue only seems to arise when actually loading a game and trying to soft reset by pressing HOME.

Have just tried it using your latest version (7.9). The problem unfortunately stll occurs.

Akiranon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Good! You gave me the perfect excuse to buy my first Gamecube game. :D I cannot replicate the problem otherwise.
First of all. I apologize for the double post, but I think this is important enough to bring it to everyone's attention.

@cyberstudio I noticed that a lot of other Nintendont forks had the same problem (freeze when in-game resetting). Turns out it's not a problem in your code, but rather the updated toolchain breaks this functionality for some reason. I've compiled your latest commit with an old toolchain. This version works with the 2 bay enclosure perfectly and has working in-game reset.

You can download the build here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kxCMFxrSu4mFcg0DKZiw485mXs6AFWWK/view?usp=sharing

Specifics about the devkitPro version here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendont.349258/post-9905192

If you combine this Nintendont version with the your cIOS mod (posted a download link above), you get a perfect functioning setup for the Wii U: One enclosure; two hard drives that don't conflict with each other; with only one USB port required on the Wii U. It's really nice! So far I've encountered zero problems with both the cIOS and Nintendont. Thank you so much for making this possible. :D

netsurf012

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
First of all. I apologize for the double post, but I think this is important enough to bring it to everyone's attention.

@cyberstudio I noticed that a lot of other Nintendont forks had the same problem (freeze when in-game resetting). Turns out it's not a problem in your code, but rather the updated toolchain breaks this functionality for some reason. I've compiled your latest commit with an old toolchain. This version works with the 2 bay enclosure perfectly and has working in-game reset.

You can download the build here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kxCMFxrSu4mFcg0DKZiw485mXs6AFWWK/view?usp=sharing

Specifics about the devkitPro version here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendont.349258/post-9905192

If you combine this Nintendont version with the your cIOS mod (posted a download link above), you get a perfect functioning setup for the Wii U: One enclosure; two hard drives that don't conflict with each other; with only one USB port required on the Wii U. It's really nice! So far I've encountered zero problems with both the cIOS and Nintendont. Thank you so much for making this possible. :D
Thank you, I've tested this build today and it works with a minor issue as described below.

My config:
- Port 0: HDD with USB 2.0 box using as Wii U HDD. I don't have Y-cable for this box. Plugged into a USB hub with external power source from mobile charger.
- Port 1: HDD with USB 3.0 box formatted with NTFS, use wfb folder for dumped games. This one using Y-cable, power jack plugging to the same USB hub.

Installed on slot 58 with IOS 251. USB Loader GX using IOS251 for both loader and game.

NTFS format seem not asked for format on Wii U Menu, other test with a multiple partitions with FAT32 + NTFS partition get a prompt and reload until I disconnect the 2nd HDD.

Issues:
- Wii HDD on port 0 not loaded at startup, workaround on every startup: Settings => Hard Driver Settings => Click on Game/Install Partition. This line was Not initialized but change to NTFS Size... after click on this options.

Update 1:
- 2nd HDD still get prompt to format on Wii U Menu. Click Ok will reload the Wii U Menu and keep the loop. Needs USB Stealth to hide.

Update 2:

I finally got it reliable works with this config:
1. Install d2x-v10-beta52-vWii into IOS56, 57, 58 by this guide: https://wiiu.hacks.guide/#/vwii-modding?id=installing-cioses
2. vWii HDD FAT32 formatted with guiformat and use wbfs, use UStealth to hide the partition, plugged into port #0
3. WiiU HDD formatted by Wii U console, plugged into port #1
4. USB Loader GX and WiiFlow Lite settings: change IOS Loader and Game Loader to 250.

HDD and enclosure using in my config:
1. WiiU HDD 500GB with USB 2.0 box.
2. vWii HDD 1TB with USB 3.0 box.

Both HDD using Y-cable with a single mobile phone charger (any 5V 2A should work) plugged in to a USB hub which act as power delivery, USB data jack is plugged in directly into Wii U back ports. You can use USB 3.0 box as it is backward compatible with USB 2.0 and have faster data transfer rate when copy Wii game from computer.

Cheers!

Last edited by netsurf012,

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
First of all, amazing work! Having one HDD enclosure instead of Wii U sounds promising, but I do have one question: Which HDD enclosure do you guys recommend for this setup? Would any good brand with 2LUN mode be appropriate?

SapinMalin

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you for this very promising tool! I would like to try it on my WiiU, but as a lambda user who might not be too familiar with the build process, can you please post some instructions on how to build the code on my Ubuntu machine, or post a link to the latest built version?

[Edit: NVM, I found the file above in the thread. Sorry for the dumb question]

Last edited by SapinMalin,
Reactions: Blythe93

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I still have a copy of the cIOS files. Pretty sure this is the latest commit by @cyberstudio :

Was just made aware of this. This will not work with modmii btw, at least not yet with modmii v7.0.2 or lower. I may look into supporting this in the future, but for now anyone looking to use this should use the wii d2x cios installer app

caleb39411

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.calebevans.uk
XP
Country
United Kingdom
With d2x-v11-beta1 having been released since this, and that supposedly fixing Riiconnect24, does that mean if I were to use this cIOS riiconnect24 wouldn't work? I do not have a dual enclosure yet, so I have not tried.

On a similar note, being that https://github.com/wiidev/d2x-cios is both more up-to-date and preferred by wiiu.hacks.guide, I don't think it would be insensible to try and have your changes pushed to that repo. I would try this myself, but I firstly don't want to pass your code off as mine, nor do I have the experience to not probably mess it up.

EDIT: I hadn't noticed that @cyberstudio hasn't been active for quite a while, so I may try to have a crack at it.

Last edited by caleb39411,

caleb39411

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.calebevans.uk
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Having now received my enclosure, with the cIOS provided (http://syscheck.rc24.xyz/view.php?id=gyZtuzRl) by @Akiranon, USB Loader GX picks up the drive, but after a few minutes won't launch any games. I have had Mario Kart Wii lock up once, and Sonic and the Secret Rings locks up every time without fail.

Last edited by caleb39411,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol