[How-to] Running Newer Super Mario Bros v1.3 (inject as a vWii channel in Wii U).

vador

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
"New" Super Mario Bros games are The Family game in my house. My two toddlers, my wife and myself have a lot of fun with it. The "Newer" series which is done by the Newer team, a homebrew version of new super mario bros, is equally fun. Having a Wii U with Aroma I love the convenience of channels and soon I created an injected version of the "Newer Super Mario Bros" v1.2 which worked pretty well. However I wanted to have the latest version v1.3 and I stumbled in a problem I saw reported in multiple places, immediately after booting this version the game would freeze and I needed to hard reset my Wii U.

I tried multiple times with different settings and there is in fact something in v1.3 that makes the inject getting freeze at boot. I did a compare between the newer v1.2 patch and v1.3 and the immediately differences was more related with 1) some changes on the data sets and 2) in the regions. I though was the problem was around somewhere here, when I noticed that the "Loader.bin" was also updated. The trick was simple, I used the loader.bin of v1.2 in v1.3 and voila I was able to boot v1.3 and at least when it regards to the tilesets , background etc it seems I am up and running with v1.3. Deleting previous saved games is also important to avoid problems (nevertheless this in the first place did not fix the "freeze" problem, change the Loader.bin was key). I think this is enough information for the ones that did injections in the past but for the ones new to the game here is a quick how-to.

NOTE: This is only relevant if you want to have this game injected in the Wii U as a channel. There are multiple ways to run it from using Dolphin which support riivolution by default or installing the riivolution plugin in the vWII Homebrew channel. But I like the convenience of inject wii channels.

Tools:
  • Unfortunately I cannot post links yet. So all the tools/links are in the "tools.txt" file attached.
Steps

1. You need a ISO backup of New Super Mario Bros Wii (mine is Euro rev2). I can't help you with this step. However in case your backup is in WBFS format use the WBFS to ISO converter (see tools above) to create an ISO version.
  2. Download Newer Super Mario Bros v1.3 from the Newer website and the Loader.bin (from version 1.2), also on the links above in tools
  3. Unzip the Newer SUper Mario Bros v1.3 and you will have two directories:
    1. NewerSMBW
    2. riivolution
  4. In the root folder of NewerSMBW you will see the "Loader.bin" substitute that with the Loader.bin from v1.2.
  5. Download and unzip the NSMBW Mod ISO Builder and copy to the root folder of the Mod ISO Builder the following:
    1. both folders from Newer SUper MArio Bros v1.3, "NewerSMBW" and "riivolution" respectively
    2. the ISO of the New Super Mario Bros wii
    3. isobuilder.png
  6. Run Mod ISO Builder to generate a ISO file which will combine Super Mario Wii the Newer v1.3 patch . See pictures below for the steps
step1.png
step2.png
step3.png
step4.png
step5.png
step6.png

7. A folder is created "ISO" that contains the ISO file just generated.
8. The last step and I assume you know this , create a WUP file to be installed in Wii U with TeconmoonWIIVC Injector, copy the generate folder to your SD card and install it. If you never did this step before there are plenty of tutorials on how to create WII VC channels. This is super simple.

Now you are done! As a bonus there is also the Newer Specials (see link in tools) which are quite fun and those work without any fiddling basically follow the same steps above (choosing in step 6 the right patch) and skipping the copy of the "Loader.bin" that is not necessary (and wouldn't even work). Enjoy!
IMG_2604.jpeg
IMG_2606.jpg

Attachments

• tools.txt
    479 bytes · Views: 26
Reactions: L0w

L0w

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thank you for your work and explanation! Tested it today and seems to be working fine! I wonder if it could work with the gamepad as well (as classic controllers are supported), did you try such an injection?

I wish there was a way to inject Mario Kart Wii deluxe like this! It's a great modded game as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto