Hacking How to softmod your PSP v3

Was this guide helpful and easy to follow?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

Zorua

arapozo said:
I have a question if someone can answer it.
I have a PSP 3000 and I'm currently on 5.03 Promv3 or Promv4, can't remember.
Should I stay on that or is there an upgrade with better compatibility for the latest games?

Stay on it. If a game doesn't work, patch it using ISOTool and it'll start working.

NinjaMic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I havent modded or played my PSP in a while.

I have a 5.00 m33-6 PSP-1000 and want to play games like Tactics Ogre and 3rd Birthday preferrably without patching. If I have to, thats alright, I really just need to know where to go from here.

So do I just install that Prometheus 4 addon and they'll work?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Should do, but patching is done via a PSP tool that involves pushing the X button less than half a dozen times.

etkelley

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a fully hackable PSP-2000 that's currently running 5.50 Prometheus. I haven't run into any games I can't load yet, but I'm having an issue with other people's save files being corrupt. After some googling, it looks like this is a problem with Prometheus or maybe just CFW in general? I can't find a real solution, but is there a very recent new CFW I could upgrade to that would fix these issues?

I've looked through some of the new stuff, but there's so many different types of CFWs for different models of PSPs and I'm quite new to the scene, so I don't want to update my fw to something that's not intended for my particular PSP or may cause me to lose some functionality
unsure.gif

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on 5.50 GEN-D, should I move to something else? Have noticed a few problems recently but nothing big, still getting an issue I had before (even after completely reinstalling my memory card) where apparently upon starting it gets hung up reading all of my card and fucks itself silly.

Just looking to play Patapon 3 (just downloaded a patched version, not sure it'll work), and Go Sudoku really. Could never get many PSX games to work really.

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pyrofyr said:
I'm on 5.50 GEN-D, should I move to something else? Have noticed a few problems recently but nothing big, still getting an issue I had before (even after completely reinstalling my memory card) where apparently upon starting it gets hung up reading all of my card and fucks itself silly.

Just looking to play Patapon 3 (just downloaded a patched version, not sure it'll work), and Go Sudoku really. Could never get many PSX games to work really.

What does your PSP say about the MagicGate status of your card? Sounds to me like you have a fake.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
It's the access speed that's probably giving you issues. If you want your best shot at getting any speed issue fixed it'd be 5.00M33-6

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
Using a Photofast, says Unknown.
I have a photofast with 1 x 4GB and 1x 8GB class 6 cards in it and it's noticeably sluggish in the XMB. I only use it for playing PSX games though and it's fine for that. I use a Mark 2 8GB Lexar for ISO/CSO and a 4GB Lexar for homebrew. Try a real Pro Duo, it will probably fix your problem.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I did some googlefu and some wild shots in the dark, went to 5.50 Prome-4, downloaded iRshell and disabled magicgate. It's actually running quite a bit faster now and I can play all the games I've tried (Haven't tried Little Big Planet though, that one was pissing me off that I couldn't play it previously, but I've yet to put it back on the card).

My microSDs are all class 6, everything used to run a lot faster when I was back on 5.00m33-6 over a year ago, but I had upgraded to play more games, if downgrading is really worth it I will, but I haven't seen many incentives to do so, or at least it seems that most things can be done on either so I rarely see people sizing up the differences, so feh.

mechagouki said:
QUOTE said:
Using a Photofast, says Unknown.
I have a photofast with 1 x 4GB and 1x 8GB class 6 cards in it and it's noticeably sluggish in the XMB. I only use it for playing PSX games though and it's fine for that. I use a Mark 2 8GB Lexar for ISO/CSO and a 4GB Lexar for homebrew. Try a real Pro Duo, it will probably fix your problem.
Hmm, I never notice any problems at all except when in the XMB, since disabling MagicGate, that's actually been quite a bit faster... not sure if the disabling worked, but something made it faster after that anyhow, it used to be sitting there waiting over a minute, now it's a few seconds, never more than 20 or so, very doable, although I could go for faster, it's fine. I do have a 2GB Lexar around, but I stopped using it after having this because I hate carrying more than I have to. Since I carry my iPhone, DS, and PSP, I don't want to be carrying around alternate carts for my DS or PSP, DS is covered, PSP I bought PhotoFast to cover that since at the time a 16GB card was like $150++, and just an 8GB one was $80++.

--
If going to 5.00m33-6 is faster in general sure I'll do it, but does it work like Prometheus where I don't have to patch games and junk? That made things a lot faster after playing around with the patching crap.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Great guide, thank you.

I had an old PSP 1000 laying around ( my brother's, but he doesn't play it anymore ) and out of curiosity, or for exercise purposes ( I'm super happy with my DSiXL ) I decided to hack it following this guide.

Everything was pretty straight forward, there was a file I think with a broken download link but I easily got it from somewhere else.

The most painful thing of the whole process was....you guess it....getting ChickHEN to work.
I read dozens of posts about how bitchy could it be to get it to run on a Phat, and I couldn't do it for the love of God ( been trying for 4 hours!!! ).
I tried to format the Memory Stick and resetting to default setting several times ( and I have a Japanese PSP, so everythime I would get Japanese characters ) , and even tried the rainbow ChickHEN or whatever is called........no way.

Until I came across a post on another forum, which told me to do something that this guide doesn't , therefore I'd like to add it for the benefit of future hackers :

QUOTE said:
*If you have a Japanese PSP, then I recommend you change the Character Set in System Configuration to US if you don't have it set to there yet.

I did it, and magically the Chickhen worked at the first try !
Now I'm happy to steel my brother's PSP.......but since it can do much more then before, I guess my bother won't let me !!!

Cheers
wink.gif

Killer Phantom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question that doesn't really need its own topic, so I may as well ask it here since it's relevant to softmod.

If I was to get a brand new PSP Go, what firmware will come with it? And, can it be hacked permanently like PSP-1000 and the likes?

Thanks.

hunter291

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
the PSP Go can only be hacked permanently if you get a PSP Go with the firmware 6.20. everything above can only be softmodded. it is very unlikely that you get a psp go with 6.20 new in store. they most likely already ship out updated versions, but I dont know which version. The newest one is 6.38, which cant be hacked. The newest firmware which can be turned into a light custom firmware is 6.35. so if you want a permanently, search for a go with 6.20. if temporarily is enough for you, search for one with 6.35
biggrin.gif

Killer Phantom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hunter291 said:
the PSP Go can only be hacked permanently if you get a PSP Go with the firmware 6.20. everything above can only be softmodded. it is very unlikely that you get a psp go with 6.20 new in store. they most likely already ship out updated versions, but I dont know which version. The newest one is 6.38, which cant be hacked. The newest firmware which can be turned into a light custom firmware is 6.35. so if you want a permanently, search for a go with 6.20. if temporarily is enough for you, search for one with 6.35
biggrin.gif

Thanks much. It shouldn't be too hard to find one... I hope.

Can PSP Go output games to my TV? How about emulation of SNES, PSX, etc., they all work on 6.20 right?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The Go has video-out capability, yes.

Emulators work just fine on 6.20.

PSX support is built-in to the PSP and CFW lets you convert your own PSX ISOs to run on the PSP (as well as use custom ones other people made), but 6.20's compatibility with PSX games isn't perfect.
http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3396

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Biomutant looks cool tho, may have to try that
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa...