PS1/2 How would one clean a ps2 laser assembly?

PotatisKnug

OP
Trophies
Website
thomas.dusbite.se
XP
Country
Sweden
I live in sweden so the terms "90% alcohol" & others isn't relevant. It's a prescription product you have to order. I use Break cleaner (for cars). But what kinda lube can i use for the "sliders"? WD-40 dries out oil, right?
Why do i wanna clean it? It has a REALLY hard time reading ESR discs. I have burned them at 4x blah blah blah. They're good. I have verbatim discs.
It's a SLIM 90004 ps2.

Last edited by PotatisKnug,

wolfmankurd

Trophies
XP
Country
You can't buy rubbing alcohol in Sweden? Jesus that's worse than Cali.

Don't use WD-40 it's only good for two things displacing water and degreasing. Try sewing machine oil (light machine oil), 3-in-1 if you can't get those then a thin coat of silicone/lithium/PTFE lubricant.

I've even use a thin coat of fresh motor oil in the past with no issue.

Also here is the PS2 section: https://gbatemp.net/forums/sony-playstation-1-2.164/

Reactions: Thelonewolf88

Thelonewolf88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use a grease based lub for the rails, yet 99% of these issues is the laser that's on its way out or needs a pot tweak.

I have replaced many lasers in all models of PS2 over the years, as most of the time its cheaper and quicker than pissing around with getting the current one to work properly. Also, use good discs with a dark purple dye like Ritek and use slower burn speeds.

Last edited by Thelonewolf88,

DarkGabbz

Resident XBOX Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Use a grease based lub for the rails, yet 99% of these issues is the laser that's on its way out or needs a pot tweak.

I have replaced many lasers in all models of PS2 over the years, as most of the its cheaper and quicker than pissing around with getting the current to work properly. Also, use good discs with a dark purple dye like Ritek and use slower burn speeds.
Ritek is meh.

wolfmankurd

Trophies
XP
Country
If you're not using retail discs why not just spend that money on a ethernet addon and HDD? The network adapter and a HDD is less than £20 on ebay.

Glyptofane

Castaway
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I live in sweden so the terms "90% alcohol" & others isn't relevant. It's a prescription product you have to order. I use Break cleaner (for cars). But what kinda lube can i use for the "sliders"? WD-40 dries out oil, right?
Why do i wanna clean it? It has a REALLY hard time reading ESR discs. I have burned them at 4x blah blah blah. They're good. I have verbatim discs.
It's a SLIM 90004 ps2.
The lubricant you are looking for is white lithium grease. You can find it at some automotive shops in a tube or such. This is basically the white goo you see on the assembly if you disassemble a PS2. Dab some on the rods. This stuff will last for years and won't dry out or damage plastic parts.

Last edited by Glyptofane,

PotatisKnug

OP
Trophies
Website
thomas.dusbite.se
XP
Country
Sweden
You can't buy rubbing alcohol in Sweden? Jesus that's worse than Cali.
I know, it's bullshit

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh, okay. I looked in the wrong sub. I didn't know there was a "other consoles" sub. I stand corrected.

If you're not using retail discs why not just spend that money on a ethernet addon and HDD? The network adapter and a HDD is less than £20 on ebay.
It's a slim ps2. I would if i could!

I have replaced many lasers in all models of PS2 over the years, as most of the time its cheaper and quicker than pissing around with getting the current one to work properly.
I have a slim amount of money atm and i'd rather try fix it and gather some experience than just buying a new one. Fixing it is free if you have all the materials on hand.

Try sewing machine oil (light machine oil), 3-in-1 if you can't get those then a thin coat of silicone/lithium/PTFE lubricant.

I've even use a thin coat of fresh motor oil in the past with no issue.
I own neither of those tbh lol

Glyptofane

Castaway
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cleaning the assembly is a bad idea unless you are willing to lube the tracks with white lithium grease afterward. Absolutely do not use any machine oil such as that for sewing machines. I went through this exact issue years ago and white lithium grease is what Sony uses. Trust me, or look into it and research it further. You can order this shit online if need be. If you live in a dusty or dry environment, this stuff will get the laser moving back and forth like new.

PotatisKnug

OP
Trophies
Website
thomas.dusbite.se
XP
Country
Sweden
If you live in a dusty or dry environment
this stuff will get the laser moving back and forth like new.
I live with two cats so that'd be neat

white lithium grease
I have no idea what it translates to in swedish, What is it used for?

white lithium grease
Nvm, it's called "litiumfett" Or lithiumgrease

Glyptofane

Castaway
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you take the PS2 apart, you should notice traces of the old grease that Sony applied on the tracks. It will either be yellow or white. You only need to add a small amount.

wolfmankurd

Trophies
XP
Country
Cleaning the assembly is a bad idea unless you are willing to lube the tracks with white lithium grease afterward. Absolutely do not use any machine oil such as that for sewing machines. I went through this exact issue years ago and white lithium grease is what Sony uses. Trust me, or look into it and research it further. You can order this shit online if need be. If you live in a dusty or dry environment, this stuff will get the laser moving back and forth like new.

Good luck filling your servos with grease.

Nearly everything will come factory fresh with grease since they don't know how long the part will be on a shelf. All grease does is attract and hold metal filings leading to scoring. It will destroy your bearings.

Last edited by wolfmankurd,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm a multi I can witch from dick to vag at will