[PS2] Perfectly functional PS2 is no longer, after being in storage for 10+ years

Stormflora

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi there. I have a modded PS2 that was perfectly functional before I placed it into storage for some 10+ years. I wanted to bring it out of decommission and do some retro gaming again, but was surprised to find it dysfunctional.

At first, it would load up, but refuse to read discs, giving disc read errors. I did some Googling around, and apparently it can sometimes happen after long storage, and the recommended fix was a POT adjustment.

So I tried it out, and didn't touch anything except the ribbons and POT screws relevant to the laser assembly.

Two hours later, I got nowhere, having already tried 1mm turns in both clockwise and counter-clockwise directions for both the CD and DVD screws.

Is it possible that my laser is already shot?

Last edited by Stormflora,

Stormflora

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If there is a visible red light, maybe it's ok. Set the POTs in acceptable range and try the PMAP program to calibrate the drive.
Yep, I do see the red laser light shining through the disc.

I'm not sure what you mean by PMAP program, but after looking it up on Google, it looks to be far beyond my skill set.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...