How's your mental health?

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
picky eater (I won't eat something tempered with your saliva, even if it's your fork you put in the main dish to pick something to your plate, etc.),
It's somewhat the same for me. It falls under hygiene & cleanliness for me. Though i'm always in control of it, like eating at relative's etc., i wouldn't eat from a bowl if leftover from someone's plate was added to it, or the cook has long fingers etc. I wouldn't eat his food.
Luckily, most close relatives are fairly clean when it comes to cooking. Though for other stuff like utensils, cups, plates, spoons, forks etc. I always inspect them when i'm at someone's house, before eating from/with them.. The same for chairs, tables, sofas, etc. I have to check it, and brush it off or clean it with my hand to ensure there's no debris before i sit..
It falls under hygiene & cleanliness for me, like i wouldn't go out with my home clothes to a public place etc. Or when going out using public transport or public chairs, i have stay away from chairs because everybody can come and just sit on them. And this how i was long before Covid-19..
And when i come home wearing my outdoor clothes, i have to clean & shake it up just enough then i'd wash my hands with soap before i touch anything inside the house..

When it comes to food (and other things), my mom is the only one i trust because i know how careful, responsible and considerate she is. She values cleanliness & she doesn't cut any corners regarding that..

I hope my semi-rambling text gives you an idea that you're not alone in this.. and you're just very observant, you value cleanliness, and it's reasonable in thinking that other people that're unhygienic, they do what they do because they don't value cleanliness as much as you do..

Reactions: Cyan

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can honestly say I am doing a lot better. I am an american military veteran who suffers from ptsd. Thankfully with the combination of meds(effxor and wellbutrin) and my wonderful wife. Life couldn't be better(unless I hit the lottery) <3
That's fantastic :D I don't know PTSD first-hand but what I understand of it sounds exhausting and like it follows you everywhere. Well done for fighting through.

dragonblood9999

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Considering that I am awkward around the girl I like, can't talk the way I want with her and things aren't going that great between us right now(pretty sure she's annoyed with me at this point, even though she says she's not).

I have issues with meeting girls and just regular guy friends because of the last girl I dated,12 years ago, was cheating on me with my 2 best friends for about a year. Multiple times with both at the same time, as I found out.

Other than that still shitty

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Honestly, terrible.
But as long as I mask out all the symptoms, no one knows, nor do they need to know what constantly occupies my mind.
This has the side effect of making me more and more reclusive, and I can't even say I am bothered by this any more.
As long as I look okay, no one ask me what is going on, and that is all I need.
No need for pressing further, all I do is shut down and stop responding if I don't want to respond.

If I am really passionate or rambling about a specific topic, I will go on and on and on and on and miss the signal to drop and talk about something else.
So this combined to the above makes me look like a closed up freak who only awaits for the nearest people around me listen whatever I have to say with an obsessive passion, and never see anything else, which then exponentially increases the 2 points above.

A nice and round spiral that is self sustaining its momentum.

TL;DR: could be worse, but could definitely be a lot better.
I have been seeing a social worker almost weekly for some time, but it honestly feels like I am walking in circle and repeat myself, making no improvement at all, despite how much of a stubborn jackass tryhard I am as a person.

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, terrible.
But as long as I mask out all the symptoms, no one knows, nor do they need to know what constantly occupies my mind.
This has the side effect of making me more and more reclusive, and I can't even say I am bothered by this any more.
As long as I look okay, no one ask me what is going on, and that is all I need.
No need for pressing further, all I do is shut down and stop responding if I don't want to respond.

If I am really passionate or rambling about a specific topic, I will go on and on and on and on and miss the signal to drop and talk about something else.
So this combined to the above makes me look like a closed up freak who only awaits for the nearest people around me listen whatever I have to say with an obsessive passion, and never see anything else, which then exponentially increases the 2 points above.

A nice and round spiral that is self sustaining its momentum.

TL;DR: could be worse, but could definitely be a lot better.
I have been seeing a social worker almost weekly for some time, but it honestly feels like I am walking in circle and repeat myself, making no improvement at all, despite how much of a stubborn jackass tryhard I am as a person.
Having someone around that you can trust to share your thoughts, opinions etc. with, and is open-minded, is what you're looking for.. That person has to be intelligent, considerate, respectable etc. in order to have a meaningful conversation about whatever.. Someone who can listen and only responds back when it's appropriate. It's no easy feat finding such person because most are looking for others to vent to about their everyday BS shenanigans, like the world revolves around them..
I rarely open up about what i think of stuff, beliefs, secrets, whatever. my sister's the only person at the moment that i can trust with certain stuff, i only tell her about things that she can handle..
Before i engage in any conversation (/or arguments) with others irl, i have to assess certain things like respect, openness, sensitivity, interests, etc. and just observe how a person reacts to certain things.. Finding common points or interests with another person is one thing, but not enough if everything else he's made of is annoying or flat out repulsive..
Sorry for rambling here.. ^_^

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's somewhat the same for me. It falls under hygiene & cleanliness for me. [...] *snip for space saving*
Thanks for sharing too.
I see you are a step above me, and I understand what you mean from all you described, hygiene and cleanliness. I think I'm only at "hygiene", and only when it's related to food.
it's already tiring to be invited, and having to care and keep constant awareness of everyone's doing. I feel you are having even worse time than me :(

About food, I don't do it myself, even if I'm alone. (I don't know, maybe someone will come, or I'll invite my parents, etc.)
For example, I don't "taste" the sauce and put the spoon back in it, etc. I feel it's not hygienic. one spoon per taste :P (or spoon to cup, then taste the cup). with time, I got used to cook and don't need to taste anymore.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's already tiring to be invited, and having to care and keep constant awareness of everyone's doing. I feel you are having even worse time than me :(
It's not like that for me. It's not "in control" of me per se, if i see something i didn't like regarding food i just wouldn't eat it even if that person is insisting. I can get annoyed/irritated if he over-did the insisting part. But most of the time it's harmless. I don't feel bad about me being out and about with others, food is only a small if not unimportant part of the gathering. As i didn't go there mainly to EAT, and get pissed if someone made a (unhygienic) mistake, or feel powerless in front of others to the point that i have to gloss over what i just saw just so i can appease them or avoid any conflict..
If i'm sure i saw something then i wouldn't eat the thing, if not, i wouldn't be anxiously thinking what might have happened, or what the cook did etc. I don't have a difficulty regarding that.
And i make my own food, most of the time. Not because because i don't trust others, but because i feel a sense of responsibility in preparing stuff by myself instead of relying on anyone else. If i didn't know how prepare something, i'd look up online, or i'd pay close attention and take notes when my mom is making it etc.

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
My dad has been sick for months, following his stroke in October. It's been constant, sitting with him, going to the doctor with him, caring for him, making sure he takes all his medicines at the correct time. I've been sleeping no more than 2 hours at a time in the night, because he needed constant care at a moment's notice. Finally, finally, he's gotten better, and he's okay now.

It's been stressful, to say the least. I've barely had time for myself, or to take care of myself. I've sorta been on auto pilot for a while. Now I finally have the time to slow down and feel like he's okay, I'm okay. The stress and constant state of worry wasn't okay, and definitely wasn't something I could have handled on my own for much longer. It feels nice to relax.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My dad has been sick for months, following his stroke in October. It's been constant, sitting with him, going to the doctor with him, caring for him, making sure he takes all his medicines at the correct time. I've been sleeping no more than 2 hours at a time in the night, because he needed constant care at a moment's notice. Finally, finally, he's gotten better, and he's okay now.

It's been stressful, to say the least. I've barely had time for myself, or to take care of myself. I've sorta been on auto pilot for a while. Now I finally have the time to slow down and feel like he's okay, I'm okay. The stress and constant state of worry wasn't okay, and definitely wasn't something I could have handled on my own for much longer. It feels nice to relax.
Having had to care for my Mum over the last few years I know exactly how hard and stressful it can be. Sadly mum lost her battle with dementia and passed away 2 weeks ago . Really pleased to hear your dad is doing a bit better and you can now relax a bit and look after your own health Chary.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Having had to care for my Mum over the last few years I know exactly how hard and stressful it can be. Sadly mum lost her battle with dementia and passed away 2 weeks ago . Really pleased to hear your dad is doing a bit better and you can now relax a bit and look after your own health Chary.
I'm so so sorry for your loss. Dementia is awful. Wishing you many hugs and support.

ChrisMCNBVA

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
my mom died in march from pnemonia and covid and my dad died a month later from heart problems and the 2nd booster at least it seems like it. i've learned a lot of stuff to be independent but still need some help some days I'm fine but i get so fustrated and lonely even when things are going ok i just wanna I don't know i'm feeling so lostt...

Trophies
XP
Oh boy where do I begin. For as long as I can remember I've been dealing with some pretty weird issues; I've never been diagnosed with anything - but that's mainly because I've never gone to see anyone about anything I experience. I constantly experience some pretty extreme paranoia to the point that I used to think there were cameras everywhere and that I couldn't breathe without being watched in some way. This led to me trying to be as reclusive as humanly possible which as you can imagine led to a whole other slew of issues.

In addition to that when I'm not feeling extremely paranoid it's also kind of hard to find the motivation to do literally anything if that makes sense. It's hard to get up in the morning, and even then it's hard to even do anything once I'm up so I'm basically on auto-pilot all day; every day. It gets so bad in that aspect that I've literally had people call me a walking zombie. Because of a lot of this I also started to sleep probably a lot more than I should, more than should be healthy anyways. It just kinda feels like an escape because while you're sleeping you don't have to deal with your own mind and the thoughts associated with it. But between the sleeping basically all day, and being on auto-pilot when I'm not asleep I barely even remember anything I've done throughout possible weeks at a time, it's just blurry - that gets so bad that I don't even remember some conversations that people bring up a day later.

Also this might be a weird one, but other people who auto-pilot constantly may understand; is it weird that it feels like when you're like this that it's almost like a puppet on strings? Moving, talking, acting with almost no accord of your own as you're just in the background - I'd say control but it's not exactly that, you're still you - just not fully active if that even makes sense.

Also dysphoria on top of those things doesn't really help. Basically feels like I'm trapped in my own body at times, like living is somehow a prison with your body as the cell and your mind as the warden.

I'm gonna stop writing cause it feels like I'm stretching this for too long, anyways you get the idea.

Trophies
XP
Thanks for describing everything in such detail. It sounds like what you're going through is so deep-rooted that you'd struggle to even describe what 'the issue' is. How long has that been going on for?
You're right lol, I have no idea what the issue is. Anyways I've been dealing with a lot of this since I was about 10 - 11.

Reactions: AncientBoi

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You're right lol, I have no idea what the issue is. Anyways I've been dealing with a lot of this since I was about 10 - 11.
God, I'm sorry you've been having to cope with that for so long. Perhaps the time is right to get some assistance with things? But I'm not pushing that because I'm sure you've already asked yourself countless questions to get to the source of what you're going through.

Reactions: AncientBoi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Gotta smash em all!