Hacking HOWTO: Apply a screen protector on your NDS

jabjab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nice guide,
put mine on a few months back with the instructions in pack just and now i need a guide to get the damn things off again.
Tried 3 different brands of tape and cant get the edges up!

took a piece of tape, attached to corner, pulled at various angles to the screen and nothing budges it!
(horis from renchi.com)

Man18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I purchased a pair of fake Horis from DX to replace my crappy Invisible Shield protectors ( the screen protectors are great as long as you dont need to use the touch screen effectively). Will I have any problems with them considering or should I just go ahead and install them? I have read reviews and they say they are great (and cheap).

Arch Feline

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I felt so weird putting in the screen protectors in the shower stall after taking one. Someone else does it and is not afraid to talk about it.

Chicago is one dirty city.

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
nice. my DS Lite has a lot of air bubbles
hate2.gif
I put them on before I turned the DS Lite on! Maybe I can redo it....

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
flanker22 said:
one thing you forgot to mention is that hori screen protectors are slightly smaller than the actual screen.

before you apply them you wanna choose if you want to anchor the protector on an edge of the screen or place in the center with an even gap surrounding it.I believe that all of the screen protectors available are slightly smaller than the display area for the lower lcd panel. I usually hold the protector up to the panel to determine exactly how much smaller they are and then use that as a reference on where to start the first corner at. with the hori ones, I believe that I have a little less than a 1mm gap on all four sides.

mynameis said:
Microfibre cloth- what is that? What's it feel like? LOL I know its a wacky question but i've got loads of clothes lying around at home and I dunno how I distuingish a microfibre cloth from any other cloth. Also is a Hori Cloth microfibre?microfibre cloths are sold in the computer section of stores like bestbuy, etc... the ones that I've seen are manufactured by the 3M company. they are soft to the touch, but have a strange (if not somewhat) tackey feel to them which picks up dust particles without scratching the surfaces that they are used to clean.
214PXTEWCWL._SL500_AA150_.jpg

QUOTE(Arch Feline @ Jun 4 2008, 05:15 AM)
I felt so weird putting in the screen protectors in the shower stall after taking one. Someone else does it and is not afraid to talk about it.

Chicago is one dirty city.
a closed bathroom is an excellent place to install the screen protectors. simply run your shower for a few minutes with hot water (enough to fill the room with steam). the water particles in the steam will capture the floating dust particles in the air and drop them to the ground, giving you an almost 100% dust-free environment to work in.

ben_not_benny

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
Canada
I'm loading my DS Phat with new parts soon. Would it be easier to put the screen protectors onto the top screen lens and touch screen before I re-assemble the DS, or is it just better to put them on after it's fully assembled?

I see no point of using screen protectors now, since both screens on my DS are slightly scratched and I'm replacing the parts soon...

Man18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before with the top after with the bottom. The actual touch screen is 2 parts, the screen and the touch pad. You are protecting the actual touch pad. I would suggest doing it to the fragile touch screen after everything is put together. The top is a little more sturdy but it is still better to put it on after everything is nice and solid.

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the microfibre cloth is not required, but makes the process a bit easier. you can substitute it with a good clean, cotton cloth with a small amount of window cleaner applied to it. (apply the window cleaner to the cloth, not your ds).

wipe the screens and let them dry completely (about 30sec-1min) before starting to apply the screen protectors.

additionally, if you have a few air bubbles under the screen but close to the edges that you can't seem to remove after applying them, let your ds sit overnight. some of them will work out by themselves. otherwise, you can use the scotch tape method to carefully pull back the screen protector and try re-applying it.

if you have a dust particle trapped, use scotch tape to pull back the screen protector and then a 2nd piece to remove the dust from the screen or the underside of the screen protector. DO NOT attempt to use your fingers, otherwise you'll just fingerprint up everything. re-apply the exposed portion of the screen protector after removing the dust.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Well, applying the screen protector is the most important part, but if you do everything in (cleaning and applying) steamy bathroom, you'll be more secured..If you clean your screens in room, and then take NDS in bathroom, in the meantime you could get some dust or micro-dirt on your screen, and there will be air bubble..
Just do it all in bathroom (or some steamy place)..

kevenka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Phew...Got my screen protecter on yesterday and it has no bubbles! (tiny dirt marks on the front but when the game starts, you can't see it ^^)
ok tips that I found-
Do get something like a credit card b/c it helps squeeze the air bubbles through(sometimes it may not be lent
wink.gif
)
You will more than likely have to continue using that tape so if you can, get a friend or sibling to help with this proccess as one person can hold the lid up while the other uses the tape method
Finally, I am not sure if this is quite safe(but I did it) if there is any lent on the DS, use the tap to get it off?

Results? With a legit hori screen protecter...It doesn't even look like its on, and the feel is like...touch sensor feel. I like it and highly recommend everyone to get it
smile.gif
but prepare to give up an hour to make it perfect ^^

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Well, it took me around 10 minutes per DS (I applied screen protectors on my both NDSs and my girlfriends, all at once in 45 minutes)..
I haven't used tape at all, but I did it in my bathroom while steam from shower filled the room..After applying all screenprotectors, I had only one bubble, and I left it as it doesn't bother me at all..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pissing in a pee bottle