Hacking HOWTO: Apply a screen protector on your NDS

Kishu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thieves like us said:
the microfibre cloth is not required, but makes the process a bit easier. you can substitute it with a good clean, cotton cloth with a small amount of window cleaner applied to it. (apply the window cleaner to the cloth, not your ds).

wipe the screens and let them dry completely (about 30sec-1min) before starting to apply the screen protectors.

additionally, if you have a few air bubbles under the screen but close to the edges that you can't seem to remove after applying them, let your ds sit overnight. some of them will work out by themselves. otherwise, you can use the scotch tape method to carefully pull back the screen protector and try re-applying it.

if you have a dust particle trapped, use scotch tape to pull back the screen protector and then a 2nd piece to remove the dust from the screen or the underside of the screen protector. DO NOT attempt to use your fingers, otherwise you'll just fingerprint up everything. re-apply the exposed portion of the screen protector after removing the dust.

Can Windex work on both the top screen and the bottom screen?

zero383

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is my OCD way of applying a screen protector.
yaynds.gif

1) Take a damp towel and wipe the table that you're working on - this reduces the chance of any dust particles from getting on the screen while your working

2) Wipe both sides of the screen protector to get rid of loose dust (this is before you peel it when both sides still have the protective backing on there)

3) Make sure the screen is clean by using a microfibre cloth like the ones you use for glasses

4) Under a bright lamp, use a brush like the ones you use for cameras lenses and make sure there's not a single dust particle on there

5) Peel off the bottom protective backing from the screen protector keeping the sticky side facing down. (do this as close to your DS as possible because the further away means more air for it travel through which means dust has a greater chance of sticking to it). Always hold it by the edges.

6) Lower the screen protector onto the screen but lining up one edge of it first. Do NOT just drop it all down at once because you'll get bubbles. You have to gently "roll" it from one edge to another. Use your finger and run it down the edge so that part sticks. Then use a credit card or your finger and guide the rest of it down. This is kind of hard to describe but there are plenty of Youtube videos that show this.

7) Peel off the top protective backing and you're done.

This is the way I did mine and have never had bubbles or single piece of dust underneath. Looking at my screen, you'll never notice that a screen protector is even there. From experience, Hori protectors are the best and are less likely to get air bubbles.

bejiman

Trophies
XP
Country
I messed up and I need to clean my protector. How do I clean it because I tried it once with water and shampoo and it attracted some particles and strands. I also noticed some spots on my protector.

zero383

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
bejiman said:
I messed up and I need to clean my protector. How do I clean it because I tried it once with water and shampoo and it attracted some particles and strands. I also noticed some spots on my protector.

It is very difficult to clean the protector once you run it under water. When I applied my very first protector (I think it was for a Palm Pilot years ago) I got dust on it and tried running it under water. This made it worse because once it's wet you can't really wipe it dry with something because it will transfer all sorts of crap onto it. You can't use a blowdryer because it will blow dust all over it. You can't let it sit there and dry on it's own because the water will leave residue as it dries.

The best thing is not to get the sticky side wet. If you got a few dust on it, take some scotch tape and lightly touch it to the dust. I suggest doing this with sticky side of the protector facing down to prevent any particles from dropping on it. The instructions that come with Hori protectors also suggests this method, although it's in Japanese you clearly see it in the pictures.

Amici

ex trey, city skull, am I are?
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I don't see the guide in the first post =P BTW, just bought 'Hori' screen protectors. I say 'Hori' since they're probably fake, I got them dirt cheap (100 Php each, roughly $2) and they have a 'soft card' inside. But you know what, for fakes they're very very good. Sturdy, scratch-resistant, easy to apply (using the shower steam method), easy to remove, and much more practical than $7 originals.

Chris_Skylock

Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
I think I should make a video on how to put screen protectors seeing as Im one of a few people who are veterans on it. I did put 30+ screen protectors on my DS Lite seeing as the ones I bought were easily scratched and they cost Php 295. but all of them are successful. I did applied a PSP screen protector on a kid who's buying a screen protector in a shop near me and Im happy it turned out fine. So yeah, Im a veteran on screen protectors

Though, I'll make one for the top screen as I dont have new screen protectors for the touch screen. Though it can be applied on the touchscreen with the same technique

Here's a video if you dont mind and I dont see any guide nor pics here. something's wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V6AIjIbo5g

Amici

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
zero383 said:
bejiman said:

It is very difficult to clean the protector once you run it under water. When I applied my very first protector (I think it was for a Palm Pilot years ago) I got dust on it and tried running it under water. This made it worse because once it's wet you can't really wipe it dry with something because it will transfer all sorts of crap onto it. You can't use a blowdryer because it will blow dust all over it. You can't let it sit there and dry on it's own because the water will leave residue as it dries.

The best thing is not to get the sticky side wet. If you got a few dust on it, take some scotch tape and lightly touch it to the dust. I suggest doing this with sticky side of the protector facing down to prevent any particles from dropping on it. The instructions that come with Hori protectors also suggests this method, although it's in Japanese you clearly see it in the pictures.

I have done this before. I washed the sticky side wet of my screen protector, and instead of wiping it clean, I simply shook off the extra water, and let my touch screen get wet, thus helping the protector stick to the touch screen once it's dry. I made sure the water didn't get inside the DS (though I did mess up once, and got water underneath the screen, but the water simply dried after a few hours. And I was being careless that time). It's an effective way to get dust and particles off an old but still reusable screen protector. Because of this method my cheapo protector lasted me almost a year. But this depends on the brand, some brands aren't thick enough to handle the water, while some just won't stick to the touch screen once it gets wet.

bejiman

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm using a cd-r king brand btw...the protector looks durable enough, if only I got it right the first time

Amici

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
bejiman said:
I'm using a cd-r king brand btw...the protector looks durable enough, if only I got it right the first time

I've used that too before, it's good for only 80 Php (roughly $1.60). But unlike other higher quality protectors, this one has low quality adhesive. You have to get it right the first time; else the protector will be sliding all over the place.

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The mods are starting to delete older posts in old threads to clear some space on the site. That's why you can't find the guide to those thinking the first post IS the guide.
tongue.gif

Amici

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Brian117 said:
The mods are starting to delete older posts in old threads to clear some space on the site. That's why you can't find the guide to those thinking the first post IS the guide.
tongue.gif

Oh, lol, that's why I got confused. Hopefully someone else can make a detailed guide for everyone
smile.gif

bejiman

Trophies
XP
Country
The fake Hori I applied has some scratch marks and I'm having a hard time removing this one, so ho do I take it off? Also, in which local stores can you buy Black Horn screen protectors?

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Chris_Skylock said:
I think I should make a video on how to put screen protectors seeing as Im one of a few people who are veterans on it. I did put 30+ screen protectors on my DS Lite seeing as the ones I bought were easily scratched and they cost Php 295. but all of them are successful. I did applied a PSP screen protector on a kid who's buying a screen protector in a shop near me and Im happy it turned out fine. So yeah, Im a veteran on screen protectors

Though, I'll make one for the top screen as I dont have new screen protectors for the touch screen. Though it can be applied on the touchscreen with the same technique

Here's a video if you dont mind and I dont see any guide nor pics here. something's wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V6AIjIbo5g
i only have two questions on how to apply the screen protector, one is, do we have to do it in our underwear, and two, is it recommended that we do it on pikachu bed sheets?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the...