Humble Bundle announces redesign that will limit charity donations to 15%

8a88fa654693019cbe2ea724259402d591fd26e6.jpg

For over a decade now, Humble Bundle has provided gamers with bundles of heavily discounted games, while also donating millions of dollars to charity. Traditionally, each Humble Bundle would let you buy in at various tiers, with sliders at the bottom to let you decide how much money goes to Humble Bundle itself, the charity, and the game publishers. You even had the option of giving all your money to one of the three entities, while giving nothing to the others.

Over the weekend, however, Humble Bundle announced that in May they would be testing a new update to the way adjusting donations work. Under the new system, you can toggle between two options: default donation, or extra to charity. The default option will give 85% to publishers, 10% to Humble Bundle, and 5% to charity. The other option gives 80% to publishers, 5% to Humble Bundle and 15% to charity. As of now, it does not appear there are any other customization options that will be available.

blog_charity.gif

:arrow: Source

guisadop

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
hue, what a joke. and the quality of the bundles keeps decreasing year after year.

though it's obviously because their business model apparently isn't stable enough. they look like they're bleeding money

Last edited by guisadop,

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't care about charity, i just want to buy cheap games and bundles

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

hue, what a joke. and the quality of the bundles keeps decreasing year after year.

though it's obviously because their business model apparently isn't stable enough. they look like they're bleeding money
Actually the books bundles are quite good. I bought a lot of data science books from.them

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate this storefront. They always have dumb shit on sale that nobody wants. Now, I really don't want to use them.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't recall any other online store even give away a single penny to Charities.... when was last time companies like Blizzard, STEAM, Origin, GOG or even EGS give charities? at least Humble give away 15%. don't be dickhead and complain on every thing.
Many do and just don't publicize it because it's usually a tax deductible expense.

Reactions: Snintendog

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure this won't matter a second to the people who're only in it for the sake of cheap game bundles...

But in terms of supporting charity, this completely sucks. 10% as the default? 15% maximum? That's fucking nothing!

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
I am nobody to dictate rules on how anyone should live, or run their business. But this change came in a bad time. At least where I live, donations dropped a lot because covid. Many extremely important institutions are struggling more now than ever before.

Reactions: Xzi and banjo2

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For over a decade now, Humble Bundle has provided gamers with bundles of heavily discounted games, while also donating millions of dollars to charity. Traditionally, each Humble Bundle would let you buy in at various tiers, with sliders at the bottom to let you decide how much money goes to Humble Bundle itself, the charity, and the game publishers. You even had the option of giving all your money to one of the three entities, while giving nothing to the others.

Over the weekend, however, Humble Bundle announced that in May they would be testing a new update to the way adjusting donations work. Under the new system, you can toggle between two options: default donation, or extra to charity. The default option will give 85% to publishers, 10% to Humble Bundle, and 5% to charity. The other option gives 80% to publishers, 5% to Humble Bundle and 15% to charity. As of now, it does not appear there are any other customization options that will be available.

:arrow: Source
And just like that I am no longer buying from them.

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Guessing IGN realized Humble Bundle isn't making them any money, so now they decided to lower the money going to charity so more money will go to the publisher. In other words, with this new change, this would mean less cost for Humble Bundle to cover.

Reactions: Xzi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/shdHKa4iBbE?si=Vnb_FMMV54y2aarW lol Mario give me cancer