Humble to permanently remove all Linux and Mac versions of games from Humble Trove

Humble Bundle logo 2.png

As Humble changes how its Choice bundles work, there's going to be a certain adverse effect for customers. Having notably offered Linux and Mac versions of games since even its very first Humble Indie Bundle, the cross-platform offerings will be limited going forward, at least, when it comes to Humble Trove.

Humble Trove is a perk given to Humble Choice subscribers, and comes with over 70 DRM-free titles for players to access. Usually, these games, if they have a Linux or Mac version available, will be included as an option. However, starting on February 1, as Humble moves to its new launcher, all non-Windows DRM-free versions of games offered through Humble Trove will no longer be available to download.

Humble has notified users by telling them they have a limited time to grab the Linux and Mac versions of any games in the Humble Trove, before they lose access for good. Meanwhile, the Windows versions of the DRM-free games will still be available, through the new Humble launcher as part of the Humble Games Collection, which appears to exist as a replacement to Trove, and will be an app exclusive to Windows.

:arrow: Source

stayingarmed

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Obviously we didn’t buy it FOR gaming, but we got an iMac 27” a couple of years ago to edit photos and videos….and my kids have been using it to play the new 5 Nights at Freddy’s, Minecraft (all the time), all the resident evil games, and the list goes on.

Can they play it at 4k 60fps on ultra settings? Not a chance! But, it does run them well enough on lower settings that they never complain that they wish they had something better.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A mac person does not know what drivers are. I think that fact that they don't need to suggests that you might be off in some respect. lol
"Drivers" in macs exist but under a diff name called Kernel extentions or kext I need to run a moddfed open core bootloader (mainly used for hackintoshing) to run an egpu on unsupported mac hardware (EGPU's wern't officially supported til 2014 macs (which has thunderbolt 3 ports) i have a late 2012 mac mini which has a thunderbolt 1 or 2 port to achive that you need a thunderbolt 3 to 2 / 1 adapter and a thunderbolt 2 cable then install Kryptonite (the modded open core bootloader on the efi partition and boot kryptonite by default

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
"Drivers" in macs exist but under a diff name called Kernel extentions or kext I need to run a moddfed open core bootloader (mainly used for hackintoshing) to run an egpu on unsupported mac hardware (EGPU's wern't officially supported til 2014 macs (which has thunderbolt 3 ports) i have a late 2012 mac mini which has a thunderbolt 1 or 2 port to achive that you need a thunderbolt 3 to 2 / 1 adapter and a thunderbolt 2 cable then install Kryptonite (the modded open core bootloader on the efi partition and boot kryptonite by default
I'm a little disappointed that I am among a community where I need to spell this out, but here I go. Mac users are illiterate. Their devices function to cater to that. No one else does that better. The end.

Last edited by tabzer,
Reactions: Guacaholey

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like I might not be buying from Humble anymore. If we're gonna be forced to use a launcher I'd rather they just give us Steam keys. I don't mind having EGS, Origin, GOG Galaxy, and Steam installed because at least there are exclusives I want to play, but I sure as sh*t don't want a launcher from Humble that probably won't have anything the others don't.
This is pretty amusing to read, after being forced to use Linux 2 weeks ago to flash a bios to an old phone, and falling in love with Linux, to the port where I replaced Windows with it. lol

That and Windows 11 was such a fucking let down.
It's great until you need to use something that doesn't work with compatibility layers. Until kernel level anti-cheat and other non-Linux (or Unix) friendly DRM goes away, I can't see myself using any form of Linux as my main OS.
People game on Mac OS? Lol.
Not the smart ones. The smart ones dual boot and have Windows for gaming.
I'm a little disappointed that I am among a community where I need to spell this out, but here I go. Mac users are illiterate. Their devices function to cater to that. No one else does that better. The end.
I hate how true that is. Everyone I know who uses a Mac is tech illiterate. I cleaned hundreds of instances of malware and PUPs off an ex-girlfriend's MacBook. What astounds me is that people still think "Macs don't get viruses" despite them being very insecure (they were "secure" by not as much malware being developed because they're a small share of the home computer market). I've also worked tech support, and virtually every Mac user was an old lady who didn't even know what Finder was.

Last edited by Guacaholey,

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's great until you need to use something that doesn't work with compatibility layers. Until kernel level anti-cheat and other non-Linux (or Unix) friendly DRM goes away, I can't see myself using any form of Linux as my main OS.
Well, I still have my Windows 10 partition, so that's not a big deal for me. I just enjoy how lightweight Linux feels compared to Windows, and the other annoying stuff from Windows being gone.

I just wish Anbox wasn't a let down, and that I could stream my Xbox to my laptop on Linux.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I still have my Windows 10 partition, so that's not a big deal for me. I just enjoy how lightweight Linux feels compared to Windows, and the other annoying stuff from Windows being gone.

I just wish Anbox wasn't a let down, and that I could stream my Xbox to my laptop on Linux.

I have a love/hate relationship with Linux.

Just this week I had to mess around with mount and chmod in terminal just to mount a freshly formatted USB HDD, which should have auto-mounted.

Given my experiences I wouldn’t want to use it as my daily driver on my desktop/laptop.

My Unraid server however is mostly fine, just issues with network shares when I forget to unmount them.

samantas5855

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece

Waydroid surpassed anbox, check it out.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I missed the part where that's my problem. You can't defend Apple's shitty practice of making things overpriced.
Apple products are expensive & I don't buy them, but I wouldn't say they were overpriced.

They make premium products & that costs money. I might buy them if they were cheaper, but instead I buy lower quality products that are good enough for what I need.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
They're overpriced and not functionally superior in any way compared to the competition.
Really? Please name a laptop getting as good battery life as a MacBook.

I don't have one myself, but it really does seem like Apple has everyone outclassed in terms of battery efficiency right now.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, that's stupid
Let people know about Playnite, it'll probably get a module for this launcher just like it does for itch.io

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eTlZ0qcSZf4?si=0vpkdIWplaLMFVqv