HWfly ming Oled updateable?

Mat3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
true, and you can do so with the hwfly-toolbox.
but since we do not know the exact behavior of these unflashable modchips, we don't know when it forces back their 0.1.0 spacecraft onto it. so you'd still be at risk, especially after sysnand upgrades
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I got a not flashable hwfly lite inside my oled switch. Do you recommend updating the sdloader in my situation? I'm trying to avoid buying another expensive chip and I figured that if I only boot with an sdcard inside the risk is relatively low.
I never worked with the hwfly toolbox could you maybe explain how I would go about updating the sdloader? Is the sdloader just a file on the sdcard or is it something else? Also I was wondering what this actually does to prevent the 5v issue.
I tried to look for your original post about this and read that in order to run hwfly toolbox you have to contaminate the BOOT0. This already happend when I use the modchip right? (are these the two numbers in the backup that indicate the spacecraft version you are running?)
I was also wondering why the chip could revert back to spacecraft 0.1.0 and why it is riskier after a sysnand update.
Sorry for the mountain of questions, but until now I thought I couldn't do anything about the problem with a non flashable chip. I would be really grateful for any kind of help. Thanks!

HelloShitty

Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
Sthetix himself provided me with a link for flashable modchips!

Flashable modchips

Hope this helps you all out!
Yeah, I got the same link from him too! I ordered one mod chip for the OLED and I was able to flash it with bootloader.bin and firmware.bin.

Last edited by HelloShitty,
Reactions: BeckysFootSlave

BeckysFootSlave

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I got a not flashable hwfly lite inside my oled switch. Do you recommend updating the sdloader in my situation? I'm trying to avoid buying another expensive chip and I figured that if I only boot with an sdcard inside the risk is relatively low.
I never worked with the hwfly toolbox could you maybe explain how I would go about updating the sdloader? Is the sdloader just a file on the sdcard or is it something else? Also I was wondering what this actually does to prevent the 5v issue.
I tried to look for your original post about this and read that in order to run hwfly toolbox you have to contaminate the BOOT0. This already happend when I use the modchip right? (are these the two numbers in the backup that indicate the spacecraft version you are running?)
I was also wondering why the chip could revert back to spacecraft 0.1.0 and why it is riskier after a sysnand update.
Sorry for the mountain of questions, but until now I thought I couldn't do anything about the problem with a non flashable chip. I would be really grateful for any kind of help. Thanks!
I started to read the thread about that problem with 5v!
Really every post until end!
Two people started to say, what I also belive because it sounds more than logical to me, is that:

The chip can't by no way output what is coming in!
There is no amplifier or anything else on that board of the modchip and the modchip itself isn't amplifying anything either!
If you soldered it on the 3.3v you can't get more output on the other side, more likely you get less!
The modchip isn't a power adapter where 110v goes in and 220v can go out!
There is no copper coil to intense the power!

I believe that and it sounds absolutely plausible to me!
I know that I started a discussion war with this, but it's my opinion and it's OK if you or someone else question it!

Mat3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I started to read the thread about that problem with 5v!
Really every post until end!
Two people started to say, what I also belive because it sounds more than logical to me, is that:

There is no amplifier or anything else on that board of the modchip and the modchip itself isn't amplifying anything either!
If you soldered it on the 3.3v you can't get more output on the other side, more likely you get less!

I know that I started a discussion war with this, but it's my opinion and it's OK if you or someone else question it!
This also seems plausible to me, but I'm not in a position where I have enough technical knowledge to really judge it by myself. Thanks for the input though!
I have to catch up with the main thread about the issue. I just came across this post today mentioning that you apparently can update the sdloader with a non flashable chip. I have no idea what the sdloader is and what it does. I always just hear things about the firmware itself and heard about the sdloader for the first time today.

BeckysFootSlave

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have no idea what the sdloader is and what it does. I always just hear things about the firmware itself and heard about the sdloader for the first time today.
SDLoader is a function in the hwfly-Toolbox payload!
You need the Payload and the Firmware (sdloader.enc is inside the firmware zip)!
Everything is explained here also download and link to firmware!
Sadly you can't flash the firmware with a lite chip (Sthetix showed some days ago that he soldered the OLED chip (flashable) inside a Switch Lite)

Hope that helps you out!?

Reactions: doom95

Mat3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
SDLoader is a function in the hwfly-Toolbox payload!
You need the Payload and the Firmware (sdloader.enc is inside the firmware zip)!
Everything is explained here also download and link to firmware!
Sadly you can't flash the firmware with a lite chip (Sthetix showed some days ago that he soldered the OLED chip (flashable) inside a Switch Lite)

Hope that helps you out!?
Thank you for the reply, it definitely helped. I also went through the entire oled teardown, hwfly brick issue and how to flash clone chips threads. I have a better understanding of the whole thing now.

But I'm still wondering about one thing. The hwfly lite as I understand will write the misconfigured sdloader (with 5v) to the boot0. It won't use that if it finds a sdcard with a payload.bin. So everything is good when it boots normally.
If you update the sdloader in hwfly-toolbox the misconfiguration in the boot0 gets overwritten and in theory the issue is solved even when not having a sdcard inserted or payload.bin. But as I understood (from the posts below) the chip will overwrite the updated sdloader everytime it is performing the glitch, meaning it doesn't matter if you update the sdloader as it gets overwritten anyways. Does anyone know if this is true or does the chip (hwfly lite specifically) not overwrite the updated sdloader on every single glitch?

I came to the assumption from these posts:

Post in thread '[Tutorial] How to flash the HWFLY Clone chips' https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-flash-the-hwfly-clone-chips.606008/post-9758875

Post in thread '[PSA][Tutorial] HWFLY chips will brick your OLED. Here is how to avoid it' https://gbatemp.net/threads/psa-tut...d-here-is-how-to-avoid-it.605763/post-9714138

Post in thread '[PSA][Tutorial] HWFLY chips will brick your OLED. Here is how to avoid it' https://gbatemp.net/threads/psa-tut...d-here-is-how-to-avoid-it.605763/post-9714166

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
Thank you for the reply, it definitely helped. I also went through the entire oled teardown, hwfly brick issue and how to flash clone chips threads. I have a better understanding of the whole thing now.

But I'm still wondering about one thing. The hwfly lite as I understand will write the misconfigured sdloader (with 5v) to the boot0. It won't use that if it finds a sdcard with a payload.bin. So everything is good when it boots normally.
If you update the sdloader in hwfly-toolbox the misconfiguration in the boot0 gets overwritten and in theory the issue is solved even when not having a sdcard inserted or payload.bin. But as I understood (from the posts below) the chip will overwrite the updated sdloader everytime it is performing the glitch, meaning it doesn't matter if you update the sdloader as it gets overwritten anyways. Does anyone know if this is true or does the chip (hwfly lite specifically) not overwrite the updated sdloader on every single glitch?

I came to the assumption from these posts:

Post in thread '[Tutorial] How to flash the HWFLY Clone chips' https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-flash-the-hwfly-clone-chips.606008/post-9758875

Post in thread '[PSA][Tutorial] HWFLY chips will brick your OLED. Here is how to avoid it' https://gbatemp.net/threads/psa-tut...d-here-is-how-to-avoid-it.605763/post-9714138

Post in thread '[PSA][Tutorial] HWFLY chips will brick your OLED. Here is how to avoid it' https://gbatemp.net/threads/psa-tut...d-here-is-how-to-avoid-it.605763/post-9714166
I've heard conflicting info but from what I've been able to piece together the chip will only overwrite boot0 when it fails to detect that the console has booted in to a payload. I.e if it thinks it has booted stock ofw it will flash the payload to the nand. Flashing the updated bootloader will give you some insurance if you accidentally boot without an sd card but sometimes the chip will incorrectly detect that it has booted in to stock when it hasn't and then rewrite the payload. I don't know what the false negative rate is.

l7777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This was also discussed in the other thread, it isn't the modchip that's pushing 5v, it's code that causes other Switch components to push 5v instead of 3.3v.

BeckysFootSlave

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This was also discussed in the other thread, it isn't the modchip that's pushing 5v, it's code that causes other Switch components to push 5v instead of 3.3v.
I know that it's discussed in that thread because I read every single post of that big thread!

But sorry I don't believe that it would work that way!
There is no amplifier on the switch board!
3.3v incoming > code says output 5v > 3.3v outgoing

The code could also say 100v but the code itself is never a amplifier nor will it ever be!
And if there is NO physical amplifier to raise the power how can code do that?

doom95

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Power management on the switch is very complex. The battery voltage ranges from 4.2V to about 3V when empty. There's boost converters for joycons charging at 5.3V, while logic on the tegra can use as little as 0.6V. And then there's 15V USB-PD for fast charging. Surely it's not unthinkable that one of the power management ic's could be misconfigured with dangerous consequences as a result.

l7777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that it's discussed in that thread because I read every single post of that big thread!

But sorry I don't believe that it would work that way!
There is no amplifier on the switch board!
3.3v incoming > code says output 5v > 3.3v outgoing

The code could also say 100v but the code itself is never a amplifier nor will it ever be!
And if there is NO physical amplifier to raise the power how can code do that?
Ok, I think I follow. Your theory is that the max battery voltage is 4.2v and there is nothing on the switch mainboard to boost the voltage to 5v. If we go with that, then a fully charged battery could still push ~28% more voltage than it should.

This is a big assumption as there are a number of components that could indeed convert 3.3v to 5v. Are you 100% certain NONE of them exist on the switch mainboard or daughter boards?

Last edited by l7777,

Mat3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've heard conflicting info but from what I've been able to piece together the chip will only overwrite boot0 when it fails to detect that the console has booted in to a payload. I.e if it thinks it has booted stock ofw it will flash the payload to the nand. Flashing the updated bootloader will give you some insurance if you accidentally boot without an sd card but sometimes the chip will incorrectly detect that it has booted in to stock when it hasn't and then rewrite the payload. I don't know what the false negative rate is.
Thanks for the reply! So the chip doesn't detect the missing sdcard and therefore missing payload.bin as a signal to overwrite the sdloader in boot0? I'm asking because I thought that a missing sdcard means there is no way a payload is booted or does the chip actually push a different payload before it loads the payload.bin on the sdcard or showing the no sd screen?

Also does this mean it only ever overwrites it when I reboot stock from hekate (intended way to get into stock ofw with HATS-pack) or it fails to detect that it booted a payload for some reason?
If this is true it's at least some protection. Going by that I would have to update the sdloader from hwfly-toolbox every time after I rebooted stock from hekate to correct the overwrite by the chip.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ3tSfM8OXM