Hacking I did the stupid thing to pay for hacking my 3DS. Now, I have no idea what to do with it. Help?

Franciscop98

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
So yeah,I have a 3DS. The old, small, blue model with the ugly start and select buttons. Basically, my brother wanted some games for christmas, but here in Venezuela 3DS games don't come cheap. By paying a fraction of that, I got a store to hack it for me and install some games. But now, I have no idea whatsoever what I have.

Following the guide basically did nothing, and there is no page where they explain the different things (Like CIA, FBI and Luma, or whatever) are, how they function together, and how to use them, they only state what they do. I believe I have FBI, but have no idea if I have anything else, and don't want to even open FBI until I know what the heck it is.

Any help on what are the basics of 3DS hacking, what those apps I mentioned do and how, and what I should do from here? Also, I know a while back Nintendo could ban you're console for just "existing" in CFW. How is that now? And how do I prevent to get banned?

I come from the Wii U hacking scene, if you use that as reference I may understand more easily. Many thanks in advance.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
There is well more than one way to mod a 3DS, just like there is well more then one to mod a WiiU - even though the final result is mostly equivalent (signature patches and other novelty features)

Try booting your console with Select held down: if you are using the Luma CFW (the equivalent of Mocha, ...) it will show its settings and version number (from which an attempt do deduce the entrypoint, equivalent of browserhax/Haxchi/CBHC, can be made)

Also, I know a while back Nintendo could ban you're console for just "existing" in CFW.
Fake news

(Like CIA, FBI
A .cia is an installation package, comparable to the combination of files that on a WiiU you would place at /install/????/{*.app, *.h3, title.tik, ...)

They are installed with a title manager (wupinstaller/sysconfigtool), on 3DS they are FBI, DevMenu, ...

FBI 2 also has other features, on top of just installing and removing titles: it can install and uninstall tickets (licenses)
It also has some general purpose file management and save extraction features, but few people use them (Godmode9 is the most acclaimed homebrew for file management and creating backups of physical games; JKSV and Checkpoint are the major save backup/restore tools)

Last edited by Ryccardo,
Reactions: Franciscop98

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So yeah,I have a 3DS. The old, small, blue model with the ugly start and select buttons. Basically, my brother wanted some games for christmas, but here in Venezuela 3DS games don't come cheap. By paying a fraction of that, I got a store to hack it for me and install some games. But now, I have no idea whatsoever what I have.

Following the guide basically did nothing, and there is no page where they explain the different things (Like CIA, FBI and Luma, or whatever) are, how they function together, and how to use them, they only state what they do. I believe I have FBI, but have no idea if I have anything else, and don't want to even open FBI until I know what the heck it is.

Any help on what are the basics of 3DS hacking, what those apps I mentioned do and how, and what I should do from here? Also, I know a while back Nintendo could ban you're console for just "existing" in CFW. How is that now? And how do I prevent to get banned?

I come from the Wii U hacking scene, if you use that as reference I may understand more easily. Many thanks in advance.
Hold select on boot and tell us what shows up.

Franciscop98

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Thanks for the quick replies, both of you!
Fake news
Nice to know.
Try booting your console with Select held down
Hold select on boot and tell us what shows up.
I'm gonna manually type the whole screen, so bare with me:

Code:
Luma3DS v8.1.1 configuration
Press A to select, START to save

Default EmuNAND: 1(x) 2( ) 3( ) 4( )
Screen brightness: 4(x) 3( ) 2( ) 1( )
Splash: Off(x) Before( ) After( ) payloads
PIN lock: Off(x) 4( ) 6( ) 8( ) digits
( ) Autoboot EmuNAND
( ) Use EmuNAND FIRM if booting with R
( ) Enable loading external FIRMs and modules
( ) Enable game patching
(x) Show NAND or user string in System Settings
( ) Show GBA boot screen in patched AGB_FIRM
( ) Patch ARM9 acces
( ) Set developer UNITINFO
( ) Disable ARM11 exception handler

There it is. So that means I do have Luma, good, anything else? I still don't know what to do from here (like, if I want homebrew or install backups to the 3DS)

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nice to know.

Code:

( ) Autoboot EmuNAND
( ) Enable game patching
( ) Patch ARM9 acces

There it is. So that means I do have Luma, good, anything else? I still don't know what to do from here (like, if I want homebrew or install backups to the 3DS)
Your custom firmware is outdated.
Study the rest of that website.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Nice to know.

Code:

( ) Autoboot EmuNAND
( ) Enable game patching
( ) Patch ARM9 acces

As mentioned your CFW is out of date (although not by a whole lot), update it by following the instructions and you are good to go.
You should also check what homebrew you have installed, at the bare minimum you must have FBI, but you should also have Luma3DS Updater for easily updating your CFW in the future, Checkpoint for save management, and if you want custom themes, Anemone3DS for that. All of those are linked to here: https://3ds.hacks.guide/finalizing-setup
If the store used the same guide, you may already have them.
If you like, you can follow the instructions on that page just to make sure you have everything set up the way it should. After updating B9S of course.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Franciscop98

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Your custom firmware is outdated.
Study the rest of that website.
You see, the problem I have with that website is that it just tells you to do a bunch of stuff without actually telling you what the hell you're doing. Like, I don't know what boot9strap or godmode9 are (well, the latter I now know because Ryccardo said it), and there's a section where it says that I should activate “Show NAND or user string in System Settings”. What for? What if it's something I don't want? And that's without mentioning that it tells you to do, activate or something about the "CTRNAND Luma3DS", again, just spewing "Turn off your console, get your SD like this, do this in your 3DS". Again, what if it's something I don't want? I can't be sure if I don't know what it does.

I will now proceed to update, atleast that I know I should, but things like that CTRNAND thing or other stuff, I don't know. That's the main reason I started this thread, 3ds.hacks.guide just tell's you what to do, not why or what for.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You see, the problem I have with that website is that it just tells you to do a bunch of stuff without actually telling you what the hell you're doing. Like, I don't know what boot9strap or godmode9 are (well, the latter I now know because Ryccardo said it), and there's a section where it says that I should activate “Show NAND or user string in System Settings”. What for? What if it's something I don't want? And that's without mentioning that it tells you to do, activate or something about the "CTRNAND Luma3DS", again, just spewing "Turn off your console, get your SD like this, do this in your 3DS". Again, what if it's something I don't want? I can't be sure if I don't know what it does.

I will now proceed to update, atleast that I know I should, but things like that CTRNAND thing or other stuff, I don't know. That's the main reason I started this thread, 3ds.hacks.guide just tell's you what to do, not why or what for.
Actually, there's a separate page linked at the top explaining various things GodMode9 can do, and Boot9Strap (as well as other things you should know) are explained on the start page: https://3ds.hacks.guide/
Most people just skip right to "Getting Started" though.

The things it suggests are really just the bare minimum "perfect" setup, not all of it is strictly needed, but having it certainly doesn't hurt and it is stuff that the vast majority of people will find useful. "Show NAND or user string in System Settings" just puts a "Sys" or "Emu" in front of the version string to let you know you are in CFW. Not needed, but doesn't hurt, and it helps to stop people questioning whether they still have CFW after they formatted their SD card or console.
Without CTRNAND Luma3DS, the console won't boot without an SD card in it with the CFW files on. There's literally no reason for anyone not to put Luma3DS in CTRNAND. The files on SD are still prioritized if they exist. It's not strictly needed but it's useful if for example your SD card corrupts while on a trip so you can still play DS games, retail games etc or if you use multiple SD cards.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Franciscop98

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Well, all of this has been very educational and useful. Thank you for your help. Tonight I'll get to work on all of that, the only thing I would be missing is finding how to use FBI, but I guess while installing Checkpoint, the updater and such I'll be using FBI, so that should be sufficient. And no, it has basically nothing. It has an app which icon is a warning sign, and when selected shows a big box that says FBI. But no hlc (I think I read it existed somewhere), no Updater, no GM9, Checkpoint, Anemone, nothing.

One very last question, I promise. I read on the download site of GM9 that it can install CIAs. Should I use that, or just use FBI?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The reason why the guide provides exact steps with brief explanations is to not overwhelm those hacking their systems the first time. You follow steps 1, 2, 3, etc., you get boot9strap, Luma3DS, GodMode9 installed. Too much information up front may scare off those who may potentially wished to undertake putting custom firmware on their systems.

Once a 3DS/2DS hacked, the burden of learning is on the person to familiarize him/herself with each new feature and homebrew app they come across.
Completing the hack, whether it was through NTRboot (DS flashcart) or Frogminer (DSiWare) methods, is the first real test in learning the very basics.

You go through seeing these:
  • Luma3DS configuration
  • GodMode9: setting up CTRNAND and backing up SysNAND *.bin image
  • Rosalina injection for Homebrew Launcher
  • FBI installing CIA files
you'll know enough to get your way around with doing just about anything else.***

*** Typical 3DS usage.

Well, all of this has been very educational and useful. Thank you for your help. Tonight I'll get to work on all of that, the only thing I would be missing is finding how to use FBI, but I guess while installing Checkpoint, the updater and such I'll be using FBI, so that should be sufficient. And no, it has basically nothing. It has an app which icon is a warning sign, and when selected shows a big box that says FBI. But no hlc (I think I read it existed somewhere), no Updater, no GM9, Checkpoint, Anemone, nothing.

One very last question, I promise. I read on the download site of GM9 that it can install CIAs. Should I use that, or just use FBI?

No, no. GodMode9 can dump already installed HOME Menu titles into CIAs or convert 3DS game cart roms into CIAs. It doesn't do CIA installations. **
  • ** GodMode9 can inject *.cia files into system titles, like how you saw FBI put in Health & Safety.

You're most interested in is CIA installed on the SD card. FBI is the homebrew app that does that.

++++++++++++++

If you're not sure what files to collect or have, you can use the starter kit found here.

After updating the custom firmware and 3DS firmware, I recommend you make a backup of your SysNAND *.bin image.
Keep it somewhere safe on your computer or external drive.

If you get stuck on how to use Rosalina HBL injection, watch this:

Also, always make frequent enough backup your game saves + extdata with Checkpoint or JKSM save manager.
You might find your 3DS crash one day if you use the more advanced game hacks, mods, plugins.

Franciscop98

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
The reason why the guide provides exact steps with brief explanations is to not overwhelm those hacking their systems the first time. You follow steps 1, 2, 3, etc., you get boot9strap, Luma3DS, GodMode9 installed. Too much information up front may scare off those who may potentially wished to undertake putting custom firmware on their systems.

Once a 3DS/2DS hacked, the burden of learning is on the person to familiarize him/herself with each new feature and homebrew app they come across.
Completing the hack, whether it was through NTRboot (DS flashcart) or Frogminer (DSiWare) methods, is the first real test in learning the very basics.

You go through seeing these:
  • Luma3DS configuration
  • GodMode9: setting up CTRNAND and backing up SysNAND *.bin image
  • Rosalina injection for Homebrew Launcher
  • FBI installing CIA files
you'll know enough to get your way around with doing just about anything else.***

*** Typical 3DS usage.

No, no. GodMode9 can dump already installed HOME Menu titles into CIAs or convert 3DS game cart roms into CIAs. It doesn't do CIA installations. **
  • ** GodMode9 can inject *.cia files into system titles, like how you saw FBI put in Health & Safety.

You're most interested in is CIA installed on the SD card. FBI is the homebrew app that does that.

++++++++++++++

If you're not sure what files to collect or have, you can use the starter kit found here.

After updating the custom firmware and 3DS firmware, I recommend you make a backup of your SysNAND *.bin image.
Keep it somewhere safe on your computer or external drive.

If you get stuck on how to use Rosalina HBL injection, watch this:

Also, always make frequent enough backup your game saves + extdata with Checkpoint or JKSM save manager.
You might find your 3DS crash one day if you use the more advanced game hacks, mods, plugins.
Wow, this is very, very helpful. Thank you so much, and thank you againg for baring with my ignorance :D:bow:

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5GPuvgFv1k