I. Hate. Loss Prevention.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Story. I have to work 13 hours straight tomorrow - 6am to 7pm because loss prevention wants me to "volunteer" to help with an inventory check without pay.

Fuck them.

Seriously.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just say your not doing it?
unsure.gif

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something tells me you have an under the hood job because the legality of making you do this without pay or your job can come into question

lakaiskateboarding

Trophies
XP
Country
Zetta_x said:
Something tells me you have an under the hood job because the legality of making you do this without pay or your job can come into question
Not if you agree with not getting paid.

Also, I guess you can't really get fired for not agreeing with volunteering and telling you are not going if you already have a contract. If you do have a contract the only problem would be the chance of them not prolonging it after it has finished.

So I think you did the best thing in order to keep your job, but I also think you should also make clear in a subtle way that you are not completely OK with volunteering.

monkat

OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
danielkraak said:
"Inventory check", That sounds really fun...
sleep.gif
How come they aren't gonna pay for something like this?

QUOTE(Zetta_x @ Dec 21 2010, 06:57 PM) Something tells me you have an under the hood job because the legality of making you do this without pay or your job can come into question

I feel that these are similar questions so I'll just reply once.

Like most retail jobs, I am required to sign a contract that says that they can fire me for any reason at any time. Its not under-the-hood, it's just corporate business at its finest.

I could not come, or I could complain about getting pay, but I'd lose my job over it.

From their point of view, I am lucky as hell to have this job at all (the store itself is in the red - company is far from red), so I certainly must be willing to do anthing and everything to keep it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
inventory shrinkage, shrink, inventory control, point of sale manipulation, inventory management on a FIFO system.

Just thought I would start you off on some buzzwords you will be sick of hearing before tomorrow is out.

monkat

OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
FAST6191 said:
inventory shrinkage, shrink, inventory control, point of sale manipulation, inventory management on a FIFO system.

Just thought I would start you off on some buzzwords you will be sick of hearing before tomorrow is out.
girl-crying.gif

Also, I wanted to clarify in case it didn't come out clear: I am getting paid tomorrow - just not for the four hours of inventory checking before the store opens.

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That's pretty messed up. In high school, I didn't have a job and my girlfriend's place of work paid me to come in and help them do inventory. What they're doing is bordering on illegal. Just a quick FYI, the contract saying they can fire you at any time is pointless, because that is a right as an employer, just like as an employee you have the right to quit at any time. There is no need for a piece of paper saying so. This crap doesn't sound fair, and I'm sorry you're forced to deal with it.

steveo1978

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
monkat said:
Like most retail jobs, I am required to sign a contract that says that they can fire me for any reason at any time. Its not under-the-hood, it's just corporate business at its finest.

I could not come, or I could complain about getting pay, but I'd lose my job over it.

From their point of view, I am lucky as hell to have this job at all (the store itself is in the red - company is far from red), so I certainly must be willing to do anthing and everything to keep it.

Actually if they did fire you for not working for free then you could sue them. If stuff like that was allowed then whats to stop companies forcing all there employees to work extra hours each week for free. Like they could tell each employee that they are required to work 50 hours each week but only get paid for 40.

But, since they asked if you would come in and work for free and you agreed you might have screwed your self cause if you took them to court they could just said you volunteered.

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
steveo1978 said:
Actually if they did fire you for not working for free then you could sue them

Yes, but they would never fire him for not working free overtime... they will fire him for "not-performing" or because they are "down-sizing" or something else entirely...

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A lot of companies do illegal shit, but you really have no choice because if you sue them, you will not win enough money in the settlement to last you for even a year (especially after lawyer fees and taxes). Plus, you'll be blacklisted as a whistleblower so you can never find a job again.

America the beautiful.
whip.gif

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
DeMoN said:
A lot of companies do illegal shit, but you really have no choice because if you sue them, you will not win enough money in the settlement to last you for even a year (especially after lawyer fees and taxes). Plus, you'll be blacklisted as a whistleblower so you can never find a job again.

America the beautiful.
whip.gif

Godbless the USA

If I were him I would still make a big stink about it, if its a large retailer they could get in some serious issues (Wal-Mart is a big example, but that was because it was sooo widespread). I would keep a record of all time "forced" to work, and file a complaint with HR/Corporate, or go higher up and contact the Dept. Of Labour or any state agencies that might be in your state for this type of stuff. The worst is they will make your work conditions unbearable (to encourage you to quit), but if its a shit retail job there's not much they can do to make it worse. If they fire you then at least you can collect FUNemployment at their expense.

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
The world is run by corporations, that's all there is to it... You really only have three choices - pander to them, subvert them or stay unemployed. Pandering to them is the most secure method, but while subverting them is much more risky it's also much more enjoyable. Or so I think anyway.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sucks for you brah, retails here in Canada.. if you work more than.. I think 10 hours, without getting an 8 hour break or whatever, you can sue.

Also, my older sister's boyfriend is LP at Wal-Mart, the only bad thing he's going through is he's getting graveyard shifts right now. But on Friday that will end.

On a serious note, would anybody really want a monkat chasing them? Beautiful long dark mane gracefully dancing in the wind, as the monkat lets out a mighty and ferocious roar.... I sure as fuck wouldn't.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/4M3E1Lz6l9E?si=fSYNJxYTa0czXVow