I just bought a dreamcast!!

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What makes my DC even better is that I was given it for free with a load of controllers and games....

Most games dont feel right unless you play them on the DC, Ready 2 Rumble for example. I remember standing in the shop before it came out with my jaw on the floor playing the demo. I just didnt expect it to be that good and that game does not play right on other consoles ( dont even look at the N64 version ). The console was, in my opinion a defining moment in time, where you felt that tha arcade had really come home in all its glory, I never felt the PS1 really achieved it, they always seemed to me anyway to play like a port of a game, rather than feeling like an arcade game itself.

The DC was THE most underrated console ever......

impur1ty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
funem said:
What makes my DC even better is that I was given it for free with a load of controllers and games....

Most games dont feel right unless you play them on the DC, Ready 2 Rumble for example. I remember standing in the shop before it came out with my jaw on the floor playing the demo. I just didnt expect it to be that good and that game does not play right on other consoles ( dont even look at the N64 version ). The console was, in my opinion a defining moment in time, where you felt that tha arcade had really come home in all its glory, I never felt the PS1 really achieved it, they always seemed to me anyway to play like a port of a game, rather than feeling like an arcade game itself.

The DC was THE most underrated console ever......

You'd love the NeoGeo AES.

Speaking of DC, I heard it is possible to play NeoGeo CD games on it. Anyone know anything about this?

Bloodgod

嵐の王
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Those save files would probably be 1-5 blocks, but Devs decided to put VMU games into them. So Shenmue is a ridiculous 80 blocks. I remember one NFL2kX game had 121 blocks taken

Bloodgod

嵐の王
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Documentary about Dreamcast made by G4's Icon. *Sigh* Back when G4 was still good.

Part one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3NfgF08EQE

Part two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e27kjhZXQqE

Edit: my GameShark lite V.4 came in today. Boots up the codes and backups no problem. You can use an existing VMU to save new codes in. Yesterday I found a working Codebreaker CDi image. Only problem with that is that you had to use a loader CD to make backup boot with cheats. I'd post the files here, but I'm sure that's against ToS. So just use Google. It's the first link or third, assuming you know what to enter in the search field

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just got Resident Evil Code:Veronica.
looking at the decent game graphics for the DC's time it makes you wonder what the hardware could have done had it really had the chance to be pushed to it's limits same thing with Half Life the DC might have stood a slim chance in the US market if it was released for it as originally planed.

impur1ty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
wolffangalchemist said:
just got Resident Evil Code:Veronica.
looking at the decent game graphics for the DC's time it makes you wonder what the hardware could have done had it really had the chance to be pushed to it's limits same thing with Half Life the DC might have stood a slim chance in the US market if it was released for it as originally planed.

I think Shenmue I/II pushed the DC about as far as it was going to go. It was the crysis of it's day back when it first came out.

Half Life was cancelled because the DC was dying, so that may have been too late.

blueskies

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does shenmue get...not boring ever? I played a very small amount of it, but was kind of bored by walking/talking/walking.

I know the story is supposed to be great, but is there any action or fighting?

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
blueskies said:
Does shenmue get...not boring ever? I played a very small amount of it, but was kind of bored by walking/talking/walking.

There is but there isn't alot of it in the first one.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
blueskies said:

There is fighting but its just pressing the right buttons...kinda like in rhythm games. Really disappointed a lot of people at the time as the screens that were posted before the game looked like you fought Virtua Fighter style.

For me its sort of an average game, I couldn't get into it that much but I did spend a lot of in the Arcade part playing Space Harrier.

The Dreamcast was ahead of its time, esepcially seeing that most of the games were ported to GC, Xbox & PS2 and fitted well. In fact a lot of the games Sega made after they stopped developing for Dreamcast were intended for the Dreamcast itself like the Xbox Panzer Dragoon game. Speaking of the game...Sega... Panzer Dragoon Saga sequel please for fuck sake.

Bloodgod

嵐の王
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
^ Wrong. It wasn't just QTE events. Shenmue had a watered down VF fighting engine. Yu Suzuki did make this game after all

@blueskies Think of this game as a Visual Novel. It's not a traditional "RPG" of any kind. You spend most of the time running around looking for clues, talking to random ppl, waiting for game time to pass then trigger an event. If you can find and ISO/rip of the Shenmue Movie that came with Shenmue II (xbox), I suggest getting that if you can't stand playing the game.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
blueskies said:

There are QTEs (like in Resi4 or GoW) and there are free-fights. There are free-fighter with multiple enemies, which are more button-mashing and there are fights against one enemy, which are more strategic (those would a watered down VF type of combat). You can even do training to make Ryo stronger. I thought the combat was pretty cool and deep if you get into it but don`t expect real VF!

The game maybe starts a little slow but if you get into it, it gets great. The Story is really great. And the second game is way more action-packed. But I know Shenmue is not every ones cup of tea... But for me the Shenmue Sega is the greatest game of all time!

blueskies

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I guess I just had a different idea of the game. It looks great from all the vids I've seen, I just need to really dedicate the time and focus on only this game. I can't just pick up and play this type of game randomly, I'll loose track of where I am. After Skies of Arcadia I'll play through.
biggrin.gif

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
blueskies said:
Alright, I guess I just had a different idea of the game. It looks great from all the vids I've seen, I just need to really dedicate the time and focus on only this game. I can't just pick up and play this type of game randomly, I'll loose track of where I am. After Skies of Arcadia I'll play through.
biggrin.gif
Yeah, exactly! Specially if someone is playing a game like Shenmue with an open World and not objective-based gameplay (missions), because Shenmue truly is Chapter I of the Saga and it feels just like it. Shenmue II on the other hand contains Chapter III-V.

You don`t play Shenmue, you live it
wub.gif

impur1ty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Shenmue II is my favourite game. To really enjoy it you have to be committed. The pace is slower in the first game but it is definitely worth finishing. Let's hope a conclusion to the series comes one day.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just found my second Dreamcast unit at a pawn shop for $19.00 the guy at the pawn shop is gonna hold it for me till tomorrow when i get paid.
i think it's a launch model to MFD is September 1999 so i know it'll play my backups also it comes with 1 controller 2 memory units and all the plugs.
only need one more controller to have 4 now and also need to find a mouse and keyboard for it cheap.

Bloodgod

嵐の王
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Picked up a S-Video cable. Deeper coloring and less "jaggies" from the composite cables. I would have gotten a VGA box but anything from that gen should be played on tube TVs IMO. This is the main reason why I haven't connected this thing to my HDTV.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i might get one of those VGA boxes since i got a old CRT monitor(it's true anything old looks horrible on a lcd or plasma screen) i might even use that to build a homemade Dreamcast display(like the ones you seen in stores).
i've seen them on Amazon for about $20 anyone know anywhere that sells them cheaper?(not that $20 is expensive but i always like a bargain)

Bloodgod

嵐の王
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
any other method to burning MDF files? alcohol 120 is being a dbag and giving me errors everytime I try to open it.

Edit: NM I got it open with a new copy.

Settings
Write Speed 16x
Write Method RAW DAO
everything else default.

Odd thing I used default everything for Shenmue II Disk 1 and it booted up no problem. But it failed to boot disk two.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Welp