I just bought a dreamcast!!

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm I couldn't list just 3 but here's a few that I absolutely loved Micro Machines 2, Streets of Rage 3, Sparkster, Speedball 2, PGA Tour Golf 3, Mickey Mouse:Castle of Illusion, Mega Bomberman, Flashback, Dr Robotniks Mean Bean Machine. Any of those and you can't go wrong or the ones impur1ty posted and you can't go wrong! lol

Bloodgod

嵐の王
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
blueskies said:
3901559895_3f6e2e9046.jpg

Nice find. IIRC that was the first gen of Genesis consoles. You just gotta track down the 6 face button controllers. I'd join you in trying to get my own Genesis console, but 16bit era can be emulated well on PCs.

blueskies

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bloodgod said:
blueskies said:

Nice find. IIRC that was the first gen of Genesis consoles. You just gotta track down the 6 face button controllers. I'd join you in trying to get my own Genesis console, but 16bit era can be emulated well on PCs.
I used to not care about playing on the 'real thing' and just used emulators when I was young and didn't have any money. But now that I can budget a good portion of my money to 'shit I want', I don't mind dropping a few bucks on an old console. The dreamcast has been so much fun, I can't believe I lived life before Soul Calibur. I play with that more than my ps3! And now whenever I play an emulator, I notice small glitches, or things that aren't quite right because I've seen the real thing.. it's really not the same. It's good enough, but it's not the same.

Not to mention old cartridges are dirt cheap.
wub.gif

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
blueskies said:
I used to not care about playing on the 'real thing' and just used emulators when I was young and didn't have any money. But now that I can budget a good portion of my money to 'shit I want', I don't mind dropping a few bucks on an old console. The dreamcast has been so much fun, I can't believe I lived life before Soul Calibur. I play with that more than my ps3! And now whenever I play an emulator, I notice small glitches, or things that aren't quite right because I've seen the real thing.. it's really not the same. It's good enough, but it's not the same.

Not to mention old cartridges are dirt cheap.
wub.gif

Everyone who goes from emulator to machine and back again notices the things you have (or people who have been using the machines for a long time!)! Graphics don't quite look right, or the sound isn't quite right, stuff like that. Don't get me wrong, emulation is great for those that can't afford a real machine but it's nowhere near the perfect that alot of emulator supporters think it is! N64 and Sega Saturn emulation is just piss poor. SNES emulation is good but it has faults that are instantly noticeable on alot of games (wrong colours, lack of soft focus backgrounds, darker palette and others) and MegaDrive emulation is ok but again has it's faults like colours being off and the midi sounds just not being quite right. Golden Axe is a perfect example, the colours in emulation aren't quite as bold and bright and the opening theme doesn't sound quite right.

Which reminds me, add Golden Axe to that list of games I posted above! lol

blueskies

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm hoping to get to a flea market soon and find some treasure trove of old games. One can dream...

I think most emulator supporters think that emulation is fine because that's the first way they see it. It looks fine because that's all you know, and you just go on and enjoy the games.

Also, it is absolutely LEGIT to have a 20+ year old console that still functions sitting next to current gen stuff in the your entertainment cabinet.
biggrin.gif

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
blueskies said:
I'm hoping to get to a flea market soon and find some treasure trove of old games. One can dream...

I think most emulator supporters think that emulation is fine because that's the first way they see it. It looks fine because that's all you know, and you just go on and enjoy the games.

Also, it is absolutely LEGIT to have a 20+ year old console that still functions sitting next to current gen stuff in the your entertainment cabinet.
biggrin.gif

I've got mine setup with my 360, what's more amusing is the fact that I've had these consoles for so long and I don't really worry about them breaking down yet every time I switch on the 360 I wonder if it'll actually come on! lol

blueskies

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dave.. or anyone else for that matter.. have you heard of any good flash carts for the MD? I've heard of the Tototek carts, but they seem really expensive. this one popped up in my searching today, with this thread (needs reg, sorry) giving some slight details. Looks like that second one is half the cost, but maybe doesn't support saving. Original carts are sweet, but it would be so amazing to have one cart, maybe with an SD card, that could hold a few.. hundred games. Any tips?

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
blueskies said:
Dave.. or anyone else for that matter.. have you heard of any good flash carts for the MD? I've heard of the Tototek carts, but they seem really expensive. this one popped up in my searching today, with this thread (needs reg, sorry) giving some slight details. Looks like that second one is half the cost, but maybe doesn't support saving. Original carts are sweet, but it would be so amazing to have one cart, maybe with an SD card, that could hold a few.. hundred games. Any tips?
http://www.ic2005.com/shop/product.php?pro...at=0&page=1
$150 but the closest to flash memory you will get.

blueskies

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I took a chance and ordered this one. Came out to $55 after the western union fees. it's the cheapest of the options available for genesis flash carts, the cheapest tototek cart is $85, the neo myth md is $150.. this seems like a great deal to me, plus it's a usb cart, no parallel port needed. No saving though... are there really that many must play games that needs saves? I feel like most are arcade style, and don't need the save function.

blueskies

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, i know.. i figure most games are arcade-like anyway, so it won't really matter, and I have a phantasy star 4 cartridge, that's a pretty awesome rpg, right?

or I could just play through said rpg in one wicked awesome play through.
biggrin.gif

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
The games that had batteries were mostly RPGs and sports games like PGA Tour. Dune 2 and Sonic 3 had a battery tho I'm pretty certain, so you won't be able to play that. Can't remember if Sonic & Knuckles had one. Alot of MD were arcade like you say, or they had a password system.

There's not alot of flashcart style devices for it unfortunately, I wouldn't mind one myself for a reasonable price. Keep an eye out for something called a Double Pro Fighter. They usually go for up to about 100 bucks. They're the best backup device for the MD, plus they're interchangeable with the SNES so you could then have alot of SNES gaming goodness at the same time! Plus they have battery backup built in.

blueskies

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this $55 one doesn't work out I doubt I'll be spending any more money on a flashcart. It's a fun novelty, but not worth $100+ for me. I'm glad to hear that there aren't that many saving games, I'm not fully interested in RPGs for the genesis, I'm perfectly happy playing through some old arcadey and platformy style games that don't need saving.

My only tough decision right now is which cartridge to sacrifice to hold this flashcart (it comes as a bare pcb). I've narrowed it down to 1) Beavis and Butthead, which I will never play, but the case doesn't fit well in the Genesis, 2) Ms. Pacman, which I will most likely never play, or 3) Sonic the Hedgehog, which doesn't boot up. I'm thinking Sonic because it's dead, but would hate to take apart the Sonic game and use that if there's some way to make it work in the futur.. but a dead cartridge is a dead cartridge, right?

I'll probably go with Ms. Pacman and take the sticker off.

sasho123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guys I can't tell you who happy I am, I just bought a Sega Mega Drive 2 for 7$, original that can play all region games
smile.gif
, they just don't respect consoles here, there are n64 for like 15$ and Sega Saturn for 20$.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sasho123 said:
they just don't respect consoles here, there are n64 for like 15$ and Sega Saturn for 20$.
that's nothing, low prices are good.
there is a pawn shop full of old games and consoles near me the guy who owns it gives a rats ass about anything he has, his shop is stroed with boxes of beat up games and other things it's also messy and unorganised not to mention crampt.
now that's not respecting consoles!!
i got my N64 from him had to LITERALLY DIG through 5 different boxes of junk to find it and all the plugs only bonuses were it already had a Ram Expansion in it and the video cable is S-Video and works for /psx/ps2/ps3/xbox360/xbox1/snes/gc/ systems and came with Perfect Dark.
my psx, snes, and N64 look Glorious in s video(though it's not HD it's the best my bedroom tv and most the consoles on the cable can do anyway), it also saves me a lot of cables all over the place!
though my N64 was doused in rubbing alcohol the minuet i got home to clean it(was covered in dirt AND DUST!)

Gobnoblin

Trophies
XP
Country
all this talk makes me want to dig my dc out from under my desk and hook it up again.... got the 64 and snes and ps under there too.. only have xbox ps2 and 360 hooked up to tv right now.... need more inputs lol and a bigger a/v stand

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gobnoblin said:
all this talk makes me want to dig my dc out from under my desk and hook it up again.... got the 64 and snes and ps under there too.. only have xbox ps2 and 360 hooked up to tv right now.... need more inputs lol and a bigger a/v stand
if most or all of your system plugs are regular A/V(video, r audio and l audio) plugs you could do some cuting and splicing.
i recently did slight bit more difficult DIY job to add s-video to my wii and then spliced it in with the other plugs of mine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/TECN1Gm7j3A?si=XwYKYHKwxoMNdFqN