I just bought a dreamcast!!

impur1ty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
blueskies said:
I was wondering about online play too, I'll need a broadband adaptor I think because I don't have a land line, but Phantasy Star Portable would be the only game I'd want to play, not really into sports games. What's the process for playing this on third party servers?

You might want to give online play a miss, Broadband adapter costs about $80 and the process is very complicated. If you want to play PSO, go with the PC version (Blue Burst) which is easier and cheaper ($0).

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just got my Dreamcast today from a local flea market all plugs and a controller no VMU!
frown.gif
but meh what can you do it was $20 and i'll just order that online.
MFD was july 2000 and it plays my JGR .cdi burn fine but my utopia boot cd won't boot so no crazy taxi for the moment till i get some more cd-r's.

Bloodgod

嵐の王
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Mine is at Richmond now. But it got there to late to make the mailman runs today. So I will get it monday.

@wolffangalchemist I think we got the same CDi file. You got that from a Dreamcast batch torrent huh?

toguro_max

Trophies
Website
toguro_max.sites.uol.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
About playing online: most of the servers are shut down, that's the fact. However, there are some private servers you can lon into to play online. Phantasy Star Online is one game you have, to my info, 2 options of private servers to play (since i don't know whether I can link'em or not, I won't post the link).
There a good site called Online Consoles where you can find more info about which servers are still up.
Btw, you can use your Dreamcast moden to connect to your PC so you can shere your connection, although it's not easy...

Suddenly i got the nostalgia feeling of when i've spent hours playing PSO
happy.gif

cupajoe

Have a cup of joe!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nosferadrian said:
shinkukage09 said:
I never said it was a bad console. But with everything out now that can emulate it perfectly, well, to me, it just seems to be a waste of $42
No not really, emulation is never the same.

True gamers know this.

Whatever your loss is our gain.
gbasp.gif
You're right. I just bought a SNES because I was sick of emulating, and it is a much more genuine experience.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so i can conect my dreamcast 56k moden up throgh my unused land line jacks in imy pc and share my internet with it regardless of where i get it fr4om (eg usb wifi adapter, ethernet, G3 network adapter)?
if so nice! if i need the Ethernet modem well that suck

MAD_BOY

Lazy bum
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
impur1ty said:
MAD_BOY said:
impur1ty said:
Get DiscJuggler, select RAW write and overburn. Then burn the .cdi image file. Easy.

The only DCs that can't boot backups etc. is the Sakura Wars JP special ed. as far as I'm aware.
And DC's post October 2001 can't run backups either...I happen to have one of those

What I said is true, it's likely you are burning your discs wrong, or you laser must be faulty.
It's only on NTSC DC's though, all PAL DC's can read backups just fine.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is great is that Sega still give away their web browser disc, DreamKey for free. You just have to go to the support part on their website and ask. I got one back in February.

Ok you can just download one and burn it but at least they still post them to you for nothing.

antonkan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Nosferadrian said:
What is great is that Sega still give away their web browser disc, DreamKey for free. You just have to go to the support part on their website and ask. I got one back in February.

Ok you can just download one and burn it but at least they still post them to you for nothing.

Does it have Flash? Supporting images? Does it have Java?

blueskies

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Picked up Skies of Arcadia retail today. I've heard it's one of the best rpgs for the dreamcast, and the nfo on the rip made it seem like a pain to play the copy.. it's split into 4 discs, and you can't backtrack or visit certain areas from disc 1a if you're playing disc 1b. Seemed like it would be worth it to just buy a copy, even if it cost almost as much as I paid for the console.
biggrin.gif

impur1ty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
blueskies said:
Picked up Skies of Arcadia retail today. I've heard it's one of the best rpgs for the dreamcast, and the nfo on the rip made it seem like a pain to play the copy.. it's split into 4 discs, and you can't backtrack or visit certain areas from disc 1a if you're playing disc 1b. Seemed like it would be worth it to just buy a copy, even if it cost almost as much as I paid for the console.
biggrin.gif

There is a 2 Disc version of Skies of Arcadia floating around the net somewhere. That is how it comes retail. Most people say either that or Grandia II is the best JRPG on DC. Not many made it out of Japan unfortunately.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
impur1ty said:
blueskies said:
biggrin.gif

There is a 2 Disc version of Skies of Arcadia floating around the net somewhere. That is how it comes retail. Most people say either that or Grandia II is the best JRPG on DC. Not many made it out of Japan unfortunately.

There's a few DC games that have similar problems when running the copies. Crazy Taxi 2 doesn't stream quite fast enough and sometimes the textures/details don't show up quite as quickly as they should. Can't remember what the others are offhand but there's quite a few with downsampled video as well. It's definitely one of those consoles where you're better off owning originals of alot of games rather than copies. There's a few games that go for silly money but most can be picked up for a couple of quid/bucks on ebay.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: