I just watched Interstellar [Spoilers]

Did you enjoy Interstellar?

• Total voters

Autz

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Technically we could use quantum physics to bend space and time without the need of wormhole. Quantum entanglement can provide such a possibility. Also what does superluminal expansion have anything to do with this?

Means that objects farther away are traveling to speeds more greater than the speed of light, which in reality is the space between that is expanding. Even if we travel to the speed of light (which is impossible since we have mass) it will take the DOUBLE of time to reach to the destination thanks to superluminal expansion. But of course, this applies better if you want to go to another galaxy.

And also, as far as i understand, the bigger the object is, the easier it is for outside forces to disrupt its quantum state. If you want to use entanglement "as-seen-on-QM", you should be nanoscopic or even more tiny.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only want to talk about the movie. It's pretty good, but it's basically the more I think about it, the more I kind of don't like it. Knowing Nolan movies, this isn't anything surprising, however it's an extreme of previous movies of his. As in, it's way too far reaching, too big for its britches, a bit up its own ass. I know previous movies like Inception were very complex and difficult to understand, but there was a wondrous feeling to them. This movie has that family story and such, and it helps in preventing the film from being an overly talky sci-fi epic. I think I have to watch it multiple times to get the science, but why I prefer Inception to this is simply magic. This movie feels kind of mechanical, Inception felt a bit like fantasy, but badass. The acting is tremendous though, special effects are top notch, the narrative is okay, but the science is basically too much for me to handle. Plus that ending with the beings Matthew McConaughey labeled "us" was weird, like a deus ex machina. Not Nolan's best, but it's not bad at all, it's basically a difficult swallow, but in the end it tastes good.

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Means that objects farther away are traveling to speeds more greater than the speed of light, which in reality is the space between that is expanding. Even if we travel to the speed of light (which is impossible since we have mass) it will take the DOUBLE of time to reach to the destination thanks to superluminal expansion. But of course, this applies better if you want to go to another galaxy.

And also, as far as i understand, the bigger the object is, the easier it is for outside forces to disrupt its quantum state. If you want to use entanglement "as-seen-on-QM", you should be nanoscopic or even more tiny.

Ah sorry thanks for the elaboration, we wont ever need to leave this galaxy as if we are able to survive for long enough that Andromeda collides with the Milky Way (which is definitely going to happen) the number of habitable planets will have tripled in number, there is very little chance any stars will collide due to how far spaced apart stars are although the oort clouds of stars are the only things that might be nudged around a little (so we might see a few more comets but our sun will have become so large that i doubt those comets would still be in orbit. I'd love to talk about quantum entanglement but I dont have the time so Ill go over this at some other time.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Loved the movie, one of my absolute all time favorites. I am a total Christopher Nolan fanboy.
A lot of interesting themes - science-fiction, catastrophic, prophetic, thought-provoking.
Actually propulsion isnt an issue in space as you could use the gravity of other planets to slingshot you and keep your speed constant.
wouldnt you need propulsion to escape gravity when circling around planets? every slingshot jump would cost you fuel (the closer you are to a planet/the more you want to use a planet's speed to slingshot your ship away, the more fuel you would need to escape its gravity)

TheDarkGreninja

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Loved the movie, one of my absolute all time favorites. I am a total Christopher Nolan fanboy.
A lot of interesting themes - science-fiction, catastrophic, prophetic, thought-provoking.

wouldn't you need propulsion to escape gravity when circling around planets? every slingshot jump would cost you fuel (the closer you are to a planet/the more you want to use a planet's speed to slingshot your ship away, the more fuel you would need to escape its gravity)
Nope, the galileo mission didn't require any to escape the suns gravity, it went round the sun and slingshotted on course for Jupiter. It basically gets energy from the gravitational pull and redirects it to pull you away, the voyager probes could never gain enough energy to leave the solar system if not for gravitational slingshotting. Its like centrifugal force, if you dont hold onto something thats spinning really fast youll get pushed away from it (its that feeling you feel when youre on those spinny things in the fun fair its like being pushed out. Its actually the only possible way of making artificial gravity. What we were looking at in the movie was something similar to a dyson sphere.

Last edited by TheDarkGreninja,
Reactions: Costello

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
It's an amazing movie IMO. That part where he's watching the videos from his kids as they grow up while he's not there is one of the saddest scenes I've ever seen in a movie.

Autz

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Ah sorry thanks for the elaboration, we wont ever need to leave this galaxy as if we are able to survive for long enough that Andromeda collides with the Milky Way (which is definitely going to happen) the number of habitable planets will have tripled in number, there is very little chance any stars will collide due to how far spaced apart stars are although the oort clouds of stars are the only things that might be nudged around a little (so we might see a few more comets but our sun will have become so large that i doubt those comets would still be in orbit.

And about time, the Sun will exit the main sequence and become a Red Giant in 5 billions years, and the Andromeda - Milky Way collision will happend on 4 billion years. That's at least 1 billion years to get out of the solar system. But of course, implying that the Earth hasn't become a boiling planet as Venus due to pollution.

TheDarkGreninja

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And about time, the Sun will exit the main sequence and become a Red Giant in 5 billions years, and the Andromeda - Milky Way collision will happend on 4 billion years. That's at least 1 billion years to get out of the solar system. But of course, implying that the Earth hasn't become a boiling planet as Venus due to pollution.
A billion/half a billion years before the sun even becomes a red giant the Sun will have heated up quite a bit on the lead up. We'll have to leave within the next 2-2.5 billion years before we see any massive changes but this is quite feasible as long as human development is going at a constant. Once quantum computing is possible and available we'll be able to save a lot of energy and calculate extremely efficient ways of moving across the universe. Right now our only hope is to live on a space station until we find a suitable planet which shouldn't be a major issue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Thought I saw my ex on that new kingdom of the Apes poster