Gaming I kinda miss the 3ds/Wii's bloatwares

horokeusama

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Last night I was messing with the Switch menu and noticed how empty it feels when you have no actual game inserted or downloaded. It's a big contrast with Wii Menu and its weather, news and etc applications and 3DS' minigames.

I know it's nice that Nintendo focused on making a good hardware exclusively for gaming, but the whole atmosphere of the previous systems were a nice touch anyway.

What you guys think about it?

Last edited by horokeusama,

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hadn't considered this until now. Thinking about the little news channel and weather channel is giving me nostalgia.

I thought the little globe on the weather channel was so cool in 2006 - knowing the temperature at the South Pole felt so futuristic and awesome.

horokeusama

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
At least the home menu fills up with you owned game titles as you collect them, whether they're digital or physical

Yeah, I know. But I was talking about the experience of the OS itself and its applications outside gaming, like the background music in some of them.

Last edited by horokeusama,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't miss bloat, but I miss functionality. While a console should be focused on games, the Switch does fucking nothing. Like for fucks sake put a browser on it, let me watch Plex.
The browser exploits scared them away from including one.

Too bad the switch got cracked wide open anyway.

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
The sad thing is, I think you're probably right :/
It is. Same reason they are off-loading communication to fucking smartphones (which is a huge dick move). They tried to just isolate the system.
I'm glad it bit them in the ass, and not for MUH PIRAZY but because they made something awesome less awesome.

horokeusama

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The bloatware sucks. I never used it, and hated that you couldn't hide it. I hated it on the wii, the wiiu, 3DS, Sony consoles, mobile phones and anything else that uses it.

Actually you could hide then into folders in most systems you used as an exemple lol. But I understand your point. It's just that after sometime you get used to them, and some were very useful (like the Wii apps). It helped to create an environment you want to use even when not on gaming sessions.

The browser exploits scared them away from including one.

Too bad the switch got cracked wide open anyway.
I hope the Switch exploits make Nintendo just give us a web browser, since hacks are not brower-dependent anymore.

Reactions: x65943

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
The bloatware sucks. I never used it, and hated that you couldn't hide it. I hated it on the wii, the wiiu, 3DS, Sony consoles, mobile phones and anything else that uses it.
Best is the fucking Health Information DEDICATED APP...fucking hell. Always put that on the last screen on all my Ninty consoles

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry I kinda sounded harsh in my first comment there. I just personally really have a vendetta against bloatware and other apps that take up space that I could be using. In fact, I would rather that space just be... free space on my devices. I go as far as to hide/freeze apps on my phone even if they are stock. Its kinda a personal quirk I suppose. Again, no harm intended lol I just got a bit heated in my own head.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Best is the fucking Health Information DEDICATED APP...fucking hell. Always put that on the last screen on all my Ninty consoles
I find it HILARIOUS when things like the H&S app can be injected with stuff like a makeshift FBI installer. When a member here named CheatFreak was helping me with a hasty install of B9S, I had quite the hearty laugh when he told me to inject the H&S app as an installer. Neat stuff! haha

horokeusama

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey

That was useful for FBI injects on 3dd

And that's maybe the reason they didn't add any of those apps. They weren't supported in the long term and because of this, were widely open for hacks and exploits.

The Wii itself had 'letterbomb' which was an exploit that used the internal message system, something I only noticed the existence when I received a picture from MK Wii after completing all courses.

They were well-intentioned, but...

tunip3

[debugger active]
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And that's maybe the reason they didn't add any of those apps. They weren't supported in the long term and because of this, were widely open for hacks and exploits.

The Wii itself had 'letterbomb' which was an exploit that used the internal message system, something I only noticed the existence when I received a picture from MK Wii after completing all courses.

They were well-intentioned, but...
Then why is their the news channel I mean that has already been exploited

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Wii loads are problematic sometimes I feel like they just get stuck and you gotta switch ports