Homebrew Idea: 3DS 3D Video Chat?

machinoman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe the 3DS has stereoscopic video recording abilities, that can also be replayed and viewed in 3D. Here's my idea of a homebrew app: one-on-one 3D chat. The stereoscopic video data could be transmitted through a web socket between two users, who could watch each other in 3D. Another web socket would transmit between the mic and speakers of both users. I have made a socket chat homebrew app before, but with no video or sound options, so I believe I am up to the task if people are interested. Do you guys think something like this might be possible?

Reactions: AutumnWolf

machinoman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i will admit that the mirror is a good option, and much easier to code that a 'preview-of-what-i-look-like' screen.

i think i'll start with just audio though. i have worked extensively on audio apps for android and iphone, although nothing in c. i am decent at compressing sound down to levels that require a very small amount of data transition. has anyone done a voice chat app yet (for 3ds/2ds)?

alone it wouldn't be very original, but other people could add it to their apps for a team-speak co-op experience with multiplayer games.

Last edited by machinoman,
Reactions: Taffy

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Not 3D ones, but the inner camera with it's bad resolution COULD in theory just barely be able to work like that. However, it will be really laggy on O3DS/O2DS and would require some crazy optimization considering game chatting (voice only basically) hardly works properly, so video chatting would be even worse. It IS possible, just hard to do. There are devices with considerably weaker hardware that can do it (eg: 3G mobile phones from as far back as 2005), so if you know how to do it, it can work. Highly advise making the homebrew an extended memory one though to get the most of what the hardware can do.

machinoman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not 3D ones, but the inner camera with it's bad resolution COULD in theory just barely be able to work like that. However, it will be really laggy on O3DS/O2DS and would require some crazy optimization considering game chatting (voice only basically) hardly works properly, so video chatting would be even worse. It IS possible, just hard to do. There are devices with considerably weaker hardware that can do it (eg: 3G mobile phones from as far back as 2005), so if you know how to do it, it can work. Highly advise making the homebrew an extended memory one though to get the most of what the hardware can do.

Pardon my ignorance, do you mean making it exclusive to higher spec devices (e.g. New 3DS) or some such? I've been out the game a while.

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Pardon my ignorance, do you mean making it exclusive to higher spec devices (e.g. New 3DS) or some such? I've been out the game a while.
Extended memory mode is when the system restarts, locks out some stuff (eg: internet browser) so they can't be used so the game/app will make use of as much of the RAM as possible without other things taking up any of it. The N3DS doesn't have it as it can run that stuff fine with the enhanced hardware, EMM is only on O3DS.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Extended memory mode is when the system restarts, locks out some stuff (eg: internet browser) so they can't be used so the game/app will make use of as much of the RAM as possible without other things taking up any of it. The N3DS doesn't have it as it can run that stuff fine with the enhanced hardware, EMM is only on O3DS.
EMM is also a thing on N3DS, though only used on some dev apps.

Reactions: ThoD

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
EMM is also a thing on N3DS, though only used on some dev apps.
Didn't know that. Only seen it used on O3DS. I guess it's natural for the N3DS to have as they run basically the same firmware, so my bad there.

Igame21

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
It's not a bad idea, it can work through extended memory. I think the only problem is the sending of video in stream from 3ds to 3ds since we still do not know with certainty how it works since there are applications that already worked with voice chat like pokemon xy, heroes ruins even a chat application 3ds group called Chat-A-lot. but for a video chat a good optimization for the old3ds is required since the N3DS already said it before if it is possible for the power and its ram that is more powerful than the old ones, I think that if it is possible for the N3DS but for the old3ds I see it difficult. But I think that if you can

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.tomshardware.com/video-games/nintendo/summercart64-open-source-n64-flash-cart-reveale...