If I'm Planning On Loading Custom Firmware Does It Matter What 3DS I Get? Does CFW Break Any Native Features?

fuzzbutter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the past when considering getting a New 3DS XL I read that it could break the eshop and other features. What I've read lately sounds like the newer custom firmware breaks nothing and can unlock region blocking on any device. I live in the US but would ideally like to get a japan New 3DS XL as I like their color options more. IS there any reason I shouldn't do this? I want to play 3DS/ and GBA roms but also want to play all the DS/3DS carts I own. I'm just looking for some final general advice on this before I make a purchase.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the model of 3DS you get does not matter. although the region does to a certain extent, you can change the reason to USA but that would break eShop capabilities, but the good news about that is they're getting ready to close the eShop so that really doesn't matter. it would be simpler of a process if you got one in your own region therefore you didn't have to region change the system but it's not impossible or difficult to do

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the past when considering getting a New 3DS XL I read that it could break the eshop and other features. What I've read lately sounds like the newer custom firmware breaks nothing and can unlock region blocking on any device. I live in the US but would ideally like to get a japan New 3DS XL as I like their color options more. IS there any reason I shouldn't do this? I want to play 3DS/ and GBA roms but also want to play all the DS/3DS carts I own. I'm just looking for some final general advice on this before I make a purchase.
Region change does break eshop

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Did you consider looking around to see if other people have had similar concerns?

I live in the US but would ideally like to get a japan New 3DS XL as I like their color options more. IS there any reason I shouldn't do this? I want to play 3DS/ and GBA roms but also want to play all the DS/3DS carts I own.
With CFW installed, a Japanese unit will be able to play US cartridges and other US software installed to the SD card, but it will not be able to access the US eShop. (Or at least, you shouldn't count on it being able to do that.)

Even though the eShop is technically closing, the US eShop will still be available for downloading updates for US cartridges – but then, you can probably expect to be able to download those updates from some random Internet site.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhN3stcB0is