Hardware If the Wii U were a big success, what features do you think we might have seen added?

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking about this because I noted a few things that the Wii U seems like it was at least set up to do but was never implemented. If the Wii U were a big success, how would things have been different for it feature-wise? I mean I'm sure it would still be Nintendo's current system, things like the Miiverse wouldn't be about to end, and maybe even TVii would still be around.

But beyond stuff like that, I think the Wii U looked like it was capable of having themes implemented in a firmware update, much like what happened to the 3DS, as that too didn't launch with themes. The Wii U menu even looks similar to how the 3DS menu does, I really wouldn't have been surprised to see themes for it at some point.

I also think the Wii U was going to get official Gamecube virtual console releases. I recall them saying that it might possibly happen in the future for the Wii U, and it would undoubtably function similar to the Wii VC releases on the Wii U, where its not actually being emulated, but rather running the game's image through the vWii; which as it happens is what has happened in the homebrew community recently. I truly wouldn't have been surprised to see official Gamecube VC titles on the Wii U were the system a big success and still running strong.

And finally, this one would likely have only happened if the Wii U really took off like the original Wii did, but: implementation of the ability to connect 2 Gamepads to a single Wii U, something they announced was possible before the Wii U even released. For what experience exactly, I can't say, perhaps some 3 player experience where each player benefits from having their own screen (perhaps another TriForce heroes game, but this one able to function locally and not necessarily needing to connect to other players online, or for GBA VC titles with multiplayer modes, allowing up to 3 people play those games together on a single Wii U (I would have really loved this for the Mario Advance series version of Mario Bros, that game was ridiculously fun multiplayer)).

What do you think? Do you believe some of that stuff would never have happened even if the Wii U was somehow as big as the Wii? Or are there other ideas that I've missed that you really think would have made it to the Wii U if it were a big success?

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a nice idea, but keep in mind that handhelds are designed for single users where consoles stilll get designed with multiple users in mind. If someone selects a theme it either will change for the whole family or you have a kind of login with your Mii (even if without password) which is another step you have to do when launching the console (and which account is used if you start it with multiplayer in mind)? It's a minor thing, but I think they never would have done that with the WiiU due to the design principles for the console Nintendo had.

That completly might be possible, we have to keep in mind that the controllers which where designed specifically for WiiU never had a analog shoulder-button, but I don't think that would have been a problem. I wouldn't wonder if they instead of forcing us to use Wii Classic Controllers (the non-pro version had a analog shoulder-button) they would have come-up with a solution for that using the WiiU Pro Controller or at least the Gamepad (Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion needed it and undoubfully would be major VC releases)

Maybe, but if I look on the price for the Gampad replacement on the Nintendo website I assume it would have been a minor thing. Nothing alot of games would have supported as grand feature or such.
There can be multiple user accounts on Wii u, and Nintendont uses L+bumpers to simulate analog buttons

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
implementation of the ability to connect 2 Gamepads to a single Wii U, something they announced was possible before the Wii U even released. For what experience exactly, I can't say,

Sports games; no one would know your plays, but a lot of other genres could've been born, like tactical versus, face gesture-games, better integration of: card games, board games, rhythm games, Billiards, or other "party games", such as paper football, pin-the-tail, or even games like Jenga. Almost any game could've been improved or adapted for Wii U.

I would have loved if a super 3DS was created for Wii U via gamepad-esque peripheral that doubled as a touch screen (for 3DS games) and a second gamepad to push a better justification of multiple gamepads.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was playing need for speed remastered and said to myself this is a nice Forza remaster
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_developed_by_Rare Not all of them are awesome but man the hits on that list.
    Oh snap Super Offroad was by them too? lol damn
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Today I learned that the creators of the Donkey Kong games also made Sea of Thieves
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    why do i feel the sudden urge to start singing pirate's scorn from the donkey kong country cartoon?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you being for real, cause that's hard to believe, DK is Nintendo and made in japan, Sea of thieves was from Microsoft, in America. I'm not calling you a liar, just didn't know.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok yes they were both made by Rare, but DK was from Rare back then, Rare now is owned by MS. So makes since.
    +1
    They even developed a LJN game.... lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It was pretty rare
    I wonder what deal with Satan LJN worked to get Rare to make that one...
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember couple years ago, they announced they were working on a Perfect Dark remake, wonder what ever happen with that?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It went into the darkness
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me and buddies used to play the hell out of Perfect Dark on N64, that and Goldeneye, was the first real PvP shooter games I remember
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    4-way split screen on a tiny 19" TV, lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you share joysticks also
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh we had the 4 controller add on thingy for n64. Duh I just got your joke, lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So you touched ends
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, but being in the boy scouts, they forced us to
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chopped down some wood for the scout master
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Big Gay Al was our Scout leader.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I was actually in the scouts for 1 week, til they assigned me homework, n I was like f this, and quit, I was like 10 yrs old. And no I didn't join the girl Scouts.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Was the homework about getting to know the scout leaders
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to memorize how to tell 15 different trees species, I think, been awhile. But yea it was about knowing Wood.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Could've just wrote down firewood
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Could've just wrote down firewood