OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh and as for the herbal smokes, when I quit before I smoked Quest cigarettes, which are de-nicotined tobacco. They helped a little, but so much of a cigarette is the nicotine tweak, otherwise you're just inhaling burning leaves, which one would assume there would be a natural aversion to.

The thing that helped me the most was Hall's Mentholyptus Cough Drops. Verrrry Menthol. You can just suck air in real quick while you've got one in your mouth and imagine you're smoking a Kool.

Maktub

Trophies
XP
Country
Hmmm, don't spend too much money on those pills either. Pills (of any kind) aren't too good for your kidneys. I belive force of will should be enough. If one doesn't quit smoking that way, then it means that that person doesn't REALLY wish to quit smoking. Yeah, addiction, bla bla bla. Humans are more than instinctively guided and whimsical creatures. Else, we'd be screwing around (which I wouldn't mind, semen is not as harmful as smoke).

Anyway, mthr, good luck, I know it's gonna be hard whatever you do, but it IS really worth it
smile.gif

mthrnite

So it goes.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Maktub. Yeah I'm actually using pills I had left over from trying to quit smoking last year. It's just as you said, they didn't help much because I really didn't want to quit. I'm only taking enough of them to see me through the physical addiction part of quitting, then I'm off of the pills too. Trust me, the pills work, they take the pleasure out of smoking, but man, they make me feel like shit.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
BEST OF LUCK TO YOU MTHR!

Great decision that will only benefit you, your health, your family and of course; your wallet!
smile.gif
If anyone can do it, mthr can.
mthrnitesmiley.gif

Check out this interesting time line of what will happen to you when you stop (click for bigger).

blueskies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good luck and good reason! If you have something to focus on as a goal I think it makes it easier to quit.

I quit for about a year, then started again a few months ago. I have to quit smoking both cigs and pot in a few weeks, starting school for respiratory therapy. I think it's going to be more difficult to quit pot than cigs.
biggrin.gif

SimpleSimon08

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have been smoking for around 25 years now and don't envy you not sure I am ready but best of luck, keep thinking of that new car and being around longer for your family they are both good incentives.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Good luck mthr! I've been through it myself, and Maktub is right, you'll only really quit when you have it firmly set in your mind that you don't want/need them any more. For me, it took getting really sick to make me realize that I was quitting once and for all, but once I was convinced, I've never had another cig (7 years now). The key is going to be the strength of your conviction.

The extra money is certainly an added incentive, but focus your kids man. I know how important they are to you, and how much you value being a positive role model for them. Show them that you can do it, and that you'll be there as long as you can for them.

We're with you buddy.

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, I hope you pull through this time Mtrh. Cigarettes are getting so expensive these days, so it's best to quit. Although it's bad for smokers, it's good for people that hate those little cancersticks to death, and wanting their relatives/friends to quit.

Keep us updated on your progress so we can cheer you on.

CyberFish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good luck sir. I am also in the middle of quitting. Not as long as you, but 10 years for me is still too long. I tried cold turkey and wanted to rip some heads off. Im now on the patch and it is 10X easier. I physically still want one, and caught myself snacking a bit more. So now I started drinking more water to settle the physical addiction down. On day #8 myself.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
I wish you the best of luck. The last person to smoke in our family was my grandmother, but she quit for her kids too.

shaunj66 said:
Check out this interesting time line of what will happen to you when you stop (click for bigger).

That timeline looks like a load of BS to me. For a start, Carbon Monoxide is so deadly because it combines irreversibly with the haemoglobin in your red blood cells, destroying their ability to carry oxygen. That cell will never carry oxygen again, and will break up eventually (like all cells).
If someone has bad carbon monoxide poisoning (say from a house fire), they need to be on oxygen tanks for quite a while.

mthrnite

So it goes.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Sephi said:
you could wean your way off the nicotine with these things http://www.blucigs.com/ if you got the money

they come in 4 nicotine levels, one of them being 0.
While that appeals to the geek in me, I've already got a plan in place. I'm using a pill called Chantix. Here's the short:
QUOTECHANTIX does not contain nicotine. It works in two ways. It targets nicotine receptors in the brain, attaches to them, and blocks nicotine from reaching them. It is believed that CHANTIX also activates these receptors, causing a reduced release of dopamine compared to nicotine.
There are side effects, but for me (I've tried 'em before) they just make me feel really run down. Basically what's good about the drug is that it turns smoking into a loveless experience, yet releases enough dopamine to keep you from turning into a raging bitch. Having quit cold turkey before, and having these things on hand, I think it'll just make things a little easier.

jphriendly

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Be careful with Chantix..I had a buddy stop taking it completely after he suffered some major side effects from it's use. He said he just couldn't keep his thoughts in check a lot of the time...It's a scary drug:

QUOTE said:
"Patients who are attempting to quit smoking with CHANTIX should be observed for serious neuropsychiatric symptoms, including changes in behavior, agitation, depressed mood, suicidal ideation and suicidal behavior," said Pfizer.

There are tons of articles out there describing similar side effects...I was seriously considering trying it until he had such a bad experience trying to quit. Now I won't ever go near that stuff.

Just a heads up in case you weren't aware.

Maktub

Trophies
XP
Country
jphriendly said:
Be careful with Chantix..I had a buddy stop taking it completely after he suffered some major side effects from it's use. He said he just couldn't keep his thoughts in check a lot of the time...It's a scary drug:

QUOTE said:
"Patients who are attempting to quit smoking with CHANTIX should be observed for serious neuropsychiatric symptoms, including changes in behavior, agitation, depressed mood, suicidal ideation and suicidal behavior," said Pfizer.

There are tons of articles out there describing similar side effects...I was seriously considering trying it until he had such a bad experience trying to quit. Now I won't ever go near that stuff.

Just a heads up in case you weren't aware.
While I understand you say this with the best of your intentions, it is necessary to remark that drugs have a very variable effect on each different person. For some, that Chantix shit might be dangerous as hell, but for others, side effects could be nearly non existent. This is caused by many things from genetics, to eating habits.

jphriendly

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course, however some of my research has led me to some interesting facts about the drug. Most notable being that "reports of adverse effects among users taking Chantix were greater than any other prescription drug for the second quarter in a row."

Like I said, just a word of warning that this drug is currently under heavy scrutiny of the FDA and the Canadian Gov't.

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Good luck to you for sure.

I recently quit cold turkey and haven't looked back. It's been a month and a half for me and I didn't even think I'd make it a day without my fix. You just have to want it in order to succeed
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Nighty night.