• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Inflation: Stop Complaining (Michelle Singletary/Zero Hedge)

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
'Despite inflation consistently polling as Americans' top concern, MSNBC guest Michelle Singletary - a Washington Post columnist, thinks that a 'great deal' of America should just suck it up.

"There is a great deal of Americans where it is uncomfortable that they're spending more, but they are not gonna go under," said Singleton, adding "You've got to stop complaining."

"You still have your job ... so I'm gonna need you to calm down and back off."

What could be behind this Sith mind trick?'

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/m...-anxious-americans-stop-complaining-calm-down

Kurt91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only possible advantage with inflation is that when it comes time for me to pay my student loans, the amount owed won't be worth as much as when I took the loan. Refinance it to a fixed interest rate, and if inflation goes insane, it'll be much easier to pay it off. "Oh, I owe several thousand dollars in student loans? Considering that amount is now worth the same as twenty bucks when I took the loans, sure, I can pay it off!"

Reactions: Creamu

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
The only possible advantage with inflation is that when it comes time for me to pay my student loans, the amount owed won't be worth as much as when I took the loan. Refinance it to a fixed interest rate, and if inflation goes insane, it'll be much easier to pay it off. "Oh, I owe several thousand dollars in student loans? Considering that amount is now worth the same as twenty bucks when I took the loans, sure, I can pay it off!"
But what if you starve to death?

Kurt91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But what if you starve to death?
My family takes care of a bunch of animals, such as chickens. We get more eggs than we can eat. We might get tired of what we've got, but we certainly don't have to worry about starving. And that's just one example. We're damn near self-sufficient.

Reactions: Creamu

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
'Despite inflation consistently polling as Americans' top concern, MSNBC guest Michelle Singletary - a Washington Post columnist, thinks that a 'great deal' of America should just suck it up.

"There is a great deal of Americans where it is uncomfortable that they're spending more, but they are not gonna go under," said Singleton, adding "You've got to stop complaining."

"You still have your job ... so I'm gonna need you to calm down and back off."

What could be behind this Sith mind trick?'

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/m...-anxious-americans-stop-complaining-calm-down

I have it on good authority that this inflation is transitory. :rofl2:

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
My family takes care of a bunch of animals, such as chickens. We get more eggs than we can eat. We might get tired of what we've got, but we certainly don't have to worry about starving. And that's just one example. We're damn near self-sufficient.
So you are doing permaculture? If not the chickens will starve to death sooner or later.

I think october might be a breaking point, when inflation will see a sharp increase. We will see.

aoikurayami

dysfunctionally intimidating
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
The cards are shuffled long before you are born.
Resource allocation on this planet is a joke.

That being said

Inflation > Deflation*

Deflation is worse than inflation because deflation is an indication that the economy is not growing. The prices of goods and services fall down due to low demand in the market
https://byjus.com/ias-questions/why-is-deflation-worse-than-inflation/

That's all of "economy lesson" you'll get from me...

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
The cards are shuffled long before you are born.
Resource allocation on this planet is a joke.

That being said

Inflation > Deflation*

Deflation is worse than inflation because deflation is an indication that the economy is not growing. The prices of goods and services fall down due to low demand in the market
https://byjus.com/ias-questions/why-is-deflation-worse-than-inflation/

That's all of "economy lesson" you'll get from me...
Inflation/Deflation can be introduced into the economic cycle at will by the major players. They can control these cycles and choose if they go for inflation or deflation. They can also loose control and timing and the extend is out of their control.

If they choose to go with inflation the products and services are in high demand, it is harder to get them. In the case of deflation money is in high demand, it is harder to get money. There are implications with both of them, but either way it is going to get ugly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ3tSfM8OXM