Hacking Installing auto rcm pros and cons

SaggyBeans

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pro: You don’t have to use a jig every time you restart your Switch.
Con: You are making a modification to the system which comes with some risk. The first being that Nintendo may know.. but installing SX OS on its own is a risk for ban so this CON can be argued as void.

I installed autoRCM because I don’t have a jig yet and the risk of me shorting something out is greater than the risks associated with making a slight modification to the system.. my 2 cents.

Reactions: achandab

brollikk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
auto RCM is good except that turning the console off keeps it on still. It will drain overnight even though you think its off because the screen will look off but be in RCM mode.

achandab

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
auto RCM is good except that turning the console off keeps it on still. It will drain overnight even though you think its off because the screen will look off but be in RCM mode.
is this confirmed? because if so that's a serious con, not just because of battery draining, but being constantly on can't be good for the system. Unless it's in the same sort of sleep mode the Switch goes into normally. Not sure how RCM mode works.

Thetoto

Trophies
XP
Country
France
is this confirmed? because if so that's a serious con, not just because of battery draining, but being constantly on can't be good for the system. Unless it's in the same sort of sleep mode the Switch goes into normally. Not sure how RCM mode works.
No that's false.
The only point is that you can't know if your switch is on or off. So you'll drain your battery if the switch is on (rcm mode). But you can obviously power it off.
And when you plug your switch, power on, this is also a "problem".

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No that's false.
The only point is that you can't know if your switch is on or off. So you'll drain your battery if the switch is on (rcm mode). But you can obviously power it off.
Correct it works just the same as a normal system boot only difference is when turning on instead of loading system menu it reboots to RCM

achandab

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
No that's false.

Correct it works just the same as a normal system boot only difference is when turning on instead of loading system menu it reboots to RCM

Cheers thanks for clearing that up guys.

Muskusrat

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
In rcm mode do you stil need go reinstall the dongle after you completely switch it off then on again
Yes you still need use the dingle each time you power on the Switch. Just keep the Switch in sleep mode and you are all set, no need for auto rcm or the dongle. Works great with SX os, no idea if it works with the other hacks.

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No that's false.

Incorrect. When you power it off normally it restarts into RCM mode. I haven't tested extensively but the two times I powered off with AutoRCM installed it went from 100% to completly dead (unable to boot) in 18 hours. Maybe less than 18 hours as I didn't try powering on until I got home from work. Apparently some are saying that if you power off from the SX boot menu it will truly power off.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Not in my experience. If there are people who are not having this issue I'd like to know what is different with their systems. Firmware? Although I'm not sure why a different firmware would make a difference. I'm on FW 5.1.0

https://gbatemp.net/threads/battery-drain-w-autorcm-poll-question.509649/#post-8108014

Last edited by DocAmes1980,

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you’re going to use sleep mode all the time anyway, may as well just NOT install auto rcm..........if it were me.

SX updates, adding .XCI files, swapping SD cards, FW updates, and crashes require power cycling the console. I think autoRCM is perfect for those who use sleep mode instead of powering off. You don't have to worry if the console is really off because you know it's in sleep mode. When you do have to power cycle/restart for one of the above events you dont have to use a jig. I usually power off but I've been putting it to sleep rather than hard powering off or rebooting to the SX bootloader and choosing the power off option from there.

Thetoto

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Incorrect. When you power it off normally it restarts into RCM mode. I haven't tested extensively but the two times I powered off with AutoRCM installed it went from 100% to completly dead (unable to boot) in 18 hours. Maybe less than 18 hours as I didn't try powering on until I got home from work. Apparently some are saying that if you power off from the SX boot menu it will truly power off.

Not in my experience. If there are people who are not having this issue I'd like to know what is different with their systems. Firmware? Although I'm not sure why a different firmware would make a difference. I'm on FW 5.1.0

https://gbatemp.net/threads/battery-drain-w-autorcm-poll-question.509649/#post-8108014
I use hekate AutoRcm since day one and never had problems.
When I power off my switch, the switch is completely off. When I power off at 100% some days after, still 100%.
But when I plug my phone to boot, it turns on automatically into RCM and boot.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

firmware means nothing the way autorcm works is it corrupts a part of your boot1 which causes the system to freak out and reboot to rcm when trying to boot Horizon which is the switch OS

Thetoto

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just try :
I power off the switch with Horizon when the switch is plugged to my phone. NX loader send a payload when it detect a switch in RCM mode.
So, when I power off the switch, nothing happen. When I push power button, nx loader detect the switch.

So the switch was off.

And if I choose reboot option in Horizon, the switch reboot to RCM and NX loader detect it immediately.

Reminder : I use Hekate AutoRcm

Last edited by Thetoto,

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use hekate AutoRcm since day one and never had problems.
When I power off my switch, the switch is completely off. When I power off at 100% some days after, still 100%.
But when I plug my phone to boot, it turns on automatically into RCM and boot.

Then perhaps it is relegated to SX autoRCM because my Switch is definitely restarting to RCM after shutdown from the OS.

firmware means nothing the way autorcm works is it corrupts a part of your boot1 which causes the system to freak out and reboot to rcm when trying to boot Horizon which is the switch OS

I know. Which is why I said I don't see why FW version should make a difference.

Just try :
I power off the switch with Horizon when the switch is plugged to my phone. NX loader send a payload when it detect a switch in RCM mode.
So, when I power off the switch, nothing happen. When I push power button, nx loader detect the switch.

So the switch was off.

And if I choose reboot option in Horizon, the switch reboot to RCM and NX loader detect it immediately.

Reminder : I use Hekate AutoRcm

Thank you, but there is no need for me to try that. It is definitely rebooting to RCM upon shutdown. Hekate autoRCM vs SX autoRCM might make the difference. Not sure why that would be.

Thetoto

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Maybe there is a difference between hekate and sx autoRCM, I'll try then.

But you can use auto RCM from hekate and use SX pro if you want.

Reactions: DocAmes1980

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: sigh