ederenzi78

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello,
I googled a bit but have not found an answer, so I'm asking here. Please help!

I want to play DSiWares on my DSi so read a whole lot of guides (DSI.GUIDE, etc) but I still have these questions:
1) In many guides it is said to install TWiLightMenu++ and run NDS files (ROMs and DSIWAREs) from there. But if I understand correctly, TWiLightMenu++ is only a shortcut for launching NDS files from SD card using nds-bootstrap (which has not a very high compatibility). Is it correct? Having real HW, I prefer to avoid hassles with compatibility so I use a flashcard for ROMS and I would like to install DSiWares on NAND.
2) On DSI.GUIDE the only suggested method for installing DSiWAREs is to have a backup extracted from a 3DS with GodMode9. I found DSiWAREs backup in NDS format: how can I install them? Sure I can convert them to CIA (I found SRL_Scripts_dpad_5678), install them on 3DS, use GodMode9 and then finally put them back on my DSi SD but is there a shorter way?
3) I did not understand the inner working of HiyaCFW: is it always using the NAND backup? Can I change it?

Thanks in advance!

*EDIT*
I searched a bit more and found that:
- The .nds files of DSiWAREs backups are actually the .app files obtained from the 3DS extraction method. The lower part of TitleId can be extracted from the NDS file using a Hex Editor (position 0xC for 4 bytes). The upper part is always 00030004 though it could be extracted from the NDS file (position 0x234 for 4 bytes in reversed order).
- I could install DSiWAREs directly into the NAND (without installing UnLaunch, HiyaCFW, etc.) using the process described in https://gbatemp.net/threads/photo-g...backups-on-real-hardware-and-emulator.476817/. The actual TMDs should be used.
- HiyaCFW actually redirects every NAND access to SD, thus having an EmuNAND. Theoretically one could use only Unlaunch to get a system Region Free without RSA signatures and using everything from actual NAND. Using HiyaCFW allows to have EmuNAND and drag/drop files into it easily.
- Installing DSiWAREs into the HiyaCFW Emunand is described into the DSi.GUIDE and is obsiously simpler than installing directly into the NAND (no need to decrypt / encrypt, etc.). Moreover, UnLanuch / HiyaCFW have RSA signatures disabled so I can fake TMDs.
- TWiLightMenu++ uses nds-bootstrap for NDS roms but not for NDS DSiWares.

Still have these questions:
- Using UnLaunch + HiyaCFW for running ROMS from flashcard and DSiWares installed into the HiyaCFW Emunand is bug free or is there a compatibility list? I.E. It should be "transparent" to the CFW: is NAND to SD redirection really "transparent"?
- Using TWiLightMenu++ for running DSiWAREs nds is bug free or is there a compatibility list? As I understand, it should only be a faster method compared to the previous one (in the previous one I have to install the NDS file into the EmuNand whereas here I can simply select the NDS file) but without additional issues. Moreover there is no limitation of the NAND size as DSiWAREs are not "installed" into the EmuNAND.

*EDIT2*
Other findings, after trying everything on my DSiXL:
1) You can install NDS DSiWares in HiyaCFW using the DSi Homebrew TMFH (Title Manager for HiyaCFW). This is described in the thread https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...he-main-menu-no-twilightmenu-required.517580/. This method allows to install them directly into the DSi home menu (of the emuNAND of course) and it has the best compatibility.
2) Running DSiWares using TWiLightMenu++ does not seem to be very compatible: I tried running Maestro Green Grove and it had no music.

In the end, I found an easy and reliable way of installing / playing DSiWares without issues using TMFH.

Last edited by ederenzi78,

KoopaMaster

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,
I googled a bit but have not found an answer, so I'm asking here. Please help!

I want to play DSiWares on my DSi so read a whole lot of guides (DSI.GUIDE, etc) but I still have these questions:
1) In many guides it is said to install TWiLightMenu++ and run NDS files (ROMs and DSIWAREs) from there. But if I understand correctly, TWiLightMenu++ is only a shortcut for launching NDS files from SD card using nds-bootstrap (which has not a very high compatibility). Is it correct? Having real HW, I prefer to avoid hassles with compatibility so I use a flashcard for ROMS and I would like to install DSiWares on NAND.
2) On DSI.GUIDE the only suggested method for installing DSiWAREs is to have a backup extracted from a 3DS with GodMode9. I found DSiWAREs backup in NDS format: how can I install them? Sure I can convert them to CIA (I found SRL_Scripts_dpad_5678), install them on 3DS, use GodMode9 and then finally put them back on my DSi SD but is there a shorter way?
3) I did not understand the inner working of HiyaCFW: is it always using the NAND backup? Can I change it?

Thanks in advance!

*EDIT*
I searched a bit more and found that:
- The .nds files of DSiWAREs backups are actually the .app files obtained from the 3DS extraction method. The lower part of TitleId can be extracted from the NDS file using a Hex Editor (position 0xC for 4 bytes). The upper part is always 00030004 though it could be extracted from the NDS file (position 0x234 for 4 bytes in reversed order).
- I could install DSiWAREs directly into the NAND (without installing UnLaunch, HiyaCFW, etc.) using the process described in https://gbatemp.net/threads/photo-g...backups-on-real-hardware-and-emulator.476817/. The actual TMDs should be used.
- HiyaCFW actually redirects every NAND access to SD, thus having an EmuNAND. Theoretically one could use only Unlaunch to get a system Region Free without RSA signatures and using everything from actual NAND. Using HiyaCFW allows to have EmuNAND and drag/drop files into it easily.
- Installing DSiWAREs into the HiyaCFW Emunand is described into the DSi.GUIDE and is obsiously simpler than installing directly into the NAND (no need to decrypt / encrypt, etc.). Moreover, UnLanuch / HiyaCFW have RSA signatures disabled so I can fake TMDs.
- TWiLightMenu++ uses nds-bootstrap for NDS roms but not for NDS DSiWares.

Still have these questions:
- Using UnLaunch + HiyaCFW for running ROMS from flashcard and DSiWares installed into the HiyaCFW Emunand is bug free or is there a compatibility list? I.E. It should be "transaperent" to the CFW: is NAND to SD redirection really "transparent"?
- Using TWiLightMenu++ for running DSiWAREs nds is bug free or is there a compatibility list? As I understand, it should only be a faster method compared to the previous one (in the previous one I have to install the NDS file into the EmuNand whereas here I can simply select the NDS file) but without additional issues. Moreover there is no limitation of the NAND size as DSiWAREs are not "installed" into the EmuNAND.

Can you explain me how to install DSIwares :) ?
I have same questions , and nothing really interessant on Google :(
I have Twilight Menu ++ , and HiyaCFW , ( i replaced the menu ) , i have a 32 GB SD card

Last edited by KoopaMaster,

KoopaMaster

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You could follow the steps in https://dsi.cfw.guide/installing-dsiware
Still if someone can answers my questions.
It install it only on the main menu , i have only Twilight Menu ++ now , because i have a 32 GB sd card ...
There is only one way to launch it , toi need to use appgen to convert them to nds ( apparently it convert only installed dsiwares ).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

And what is this launcharg generator ?

ederenzi78

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I edited the first post with other findings.
In order to install NDS titles into the DSi Home Menu the homebrew TMFH (Title Manager for HiyaCFW) is great.

Reactions: Tarmfot

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Her boob is the cause of all this current shit :angry: