Installing windows games on Steam deck

Maximo101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a couple windows games I want to intall on my new steam deck. There is an .exe file and a .bin file. I have saved the files on my sdcard in the downloads folder.
I tried 'bottles' to install the game, but at the start of the install after running the exe file, it asks me where the rest of the files are. I found the dowload folder and pointed to it, but the steam deck doesn't seem to see the bin file, or continue to install.
Bottles instructions are pretty generic, can someone point me to guides or tell me what I'm doing wrong?
I understand linux can run windows executable files.
Thanks for any help.

Maximo101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow. all these answers to sift through...

so you copy the game folder(s) to your internal drive on the steam deck or the micro sd card you are using in the deck. You can also install files from a plug in usb drive, I used a Sandisk extreme ssd with usb-c plugged into a hub on the deck. This saves deleting the install files afterwards off the micro sd card or internal memory.

Open the Steam app in desktop mode. Go to Games at the top pull downand & use 'add a non-steam game to your library'. Browse to your setup.exe file and add it. Then highlight it in your library list (usually at the bottom in 'uncatagorized'). Click on the gears icon, go to campatibility in the pop-up window, and force the use of proton when using the file. I use proton - experimental, but some of the others also work on various games. [X] out of the window, and go run the setup executable in the library. It should start to install the game and ask you where to put the files. I like to use the SSD card under a 'games' folder. Make sure you can find the install folder. Using default C:/ can lead to problems afterwards in most cases.

After the game installs, find the game exe file where it was installed by similarly using Games pulldown, and add non-steam game to library, and forcing it to use proton again. Like above. You can also remove the setup file from your library, you won't use it again. I put the game exe, if it works ok, into my steam library favorites to make them easier to find among 2,000 game emlation files.

Some games won't work properly without C++ libraries or DirectX, which don't stay installed on linux. Use protontricks to solve this issue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I should check it out some day
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No you shouldnt, you may run into one of your long lost daughters you never knew you had.
    +3
    BigOnYa I had a modified version with texture mods and all kinds of goodies lol https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo5g4kxs4UU&t=64s
    Me playing it like 4 years ago on a 2080 Ti lol
    Lol that reminds me I am like 60% sure my step daughter is dead...
    Meth addicts don't move out of a house they are trying to sell and the boyfriend says she moved and does not know where lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was about to be like can't wait for gta6 so @Psionic Roshambo can tell me places to go then you drop that
    +3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But gta6 will be in Psi hometown, and all cars will have a women on the roof, booty shaking.
    +2
    That was a thing here in Florida for a minute
    Like cars with the booty shaking lol I seen it once in person was like smiling lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I'm talking about visiting areas he hides his bodies at
    Vice City kind of feels like Miami lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, it's a parody iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea think that's where it was supposed to be, Miami
    Having been to Miami hmmm probably a hundred times lol
    Back in my days as a delivery driver for a cartel well driver slash guy they would send if a payment was forgotten lol
    you know to help them find their checkbook lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Gta4 was NewYork or Chicago, gta5 is California
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn camera phones catching crimes
    Always some women screaming... You break a few thousand dollars worth of crap in someone's living room and they scream lol
    lol Ken yeah the things I did as a kid I am soooo glad those didn't exist
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If someone breaks my $20 TV stand their nose is getting broke
    Psi would be doing like 300-3,000 years in prison lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Have some in closet allegations?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Have some in closet allegations?