iPhone or G1?

dark42

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
iPhone has a larger developer community, which means MOAR APPS!!!
And the iPhone OS 3.0 is gonna rule, comes out tomorrow.
Android looks great, however the G1 hardware isn't so great. T-mobile is getting the HTC Magic AKA G2 AKA Mytouch 3G (that's what they will call it in the US). This phone is better than the G1 in basically every way, except it has no hardware keyboard. Also, AT&T is getting some Android phones soon. Better wait until the iPhone 3GS and the Android phones are out before comparing.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
yes, the G1 has an app that allows you to make a wireless access point from the phone, so you can pair any wifi enabled device with it for cellular internet access, including the DS.

Bloodgod said:
iPhone user since 3G. Love it, I get all my email, txt, IMing, music and phone calls in one device. The only think that's dragging down my exp is AT&T. . .Worst fucking carrier EVER!

I would stay away from the G1 just because it's crap hardware wise to run Android (see freezing/Hanging problems). Wait for the hardware revision when it comes out this year. But if you're looking to get one now, pick up the new 3GS model or the $99 3G iPhone model.

lol, seriously, I have never had my phone freeze on me, even badly programmed third party apps will just force close rather than hanging the system, and it can actually run programs in the background and more than one program at once, unlike the iphone.

as for the HTC magic, is just the G1 without a keyboard (and with the associated size reduction)

the only thing i will say is that it is shit for games, but then, its a phone, not a DS.

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Bloodgod said:
Master Mo said:
I got an iPhone and I have to say that I am really happy with it. The whole interface is really well made and very intuitive. And if you care for doing jailbreak you can have a really great variety of apps (like taking videos and things like that...). But the G1 looks very good as well. I guess there isn`t such a big difference... Both great devices!

I would recommend to watch walkthroughs of both phones and then to decide
wink.gif

That would be the APP store. No other smart phone offers anything like it to get new applications.

G1 has the android market

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well... Here:

G1:

cons --

Physical keyboard hard to use... Read More... Read More
- Ability to copy/paste text (limited)
- Can unlock (after 90 days)
- Heavier
- Color options are black and bronze
- Trackball for navigation (awkward)
- 3G network (only in 20 markets)
- Smart-touch interfaces (not multi-touch like iPhone)
- Android Market

Big Cons:

- Inclined base makes typing difficult
- Only 1 GB of memory
- Can’t shoot video

iPhone:

Pros:

- The interface is REALLY elegant and intuitive. The touchscreen puts you within one or two taps or “swipes” of just about any function. The icons are big and bold so you should rarely make “fat finger” errors.

- The number and variety of applications available in the App store is almost staggering (in a good way). Chances are if there is a function you need, you’ll find an app to do it. Often, more than one, with plenty of user reviews to help you make a choice.

- The web browser is a “real” web browser. This won’t help you test “mobile websites” per se, but it will give you some insight into how your real site looks on a mobile browser.

- 3G speed is pretty good. Overall, the experience is that sites load pretty quickly. I’m fairly patient in this area, though, so what’s fast enough for me might be too slow for others.

- GREAT interface with Microsoft Outlook server so you can get and respond to your business email anywhere anytime.

* iPhone Cons:

- People make fun of ATT coverage. Some friends have had very few dropped calls, but a couple of my colleagues who use the phone complain about this. I think there may be very distinct locations where the ATT signal is weak (the dropped calls my friends have had have been in the same places every time) … if you are regularly in those areas, you may be frustrated.

- Using the iPhone to it’s fullest means buying into the whole iTunes software interface. This is really the most efficient (or in some cases, only) way to browse apps, install ringtones, etc. It rankles some slightly that they have had to join Apple’s “cult” to use this phone … but, oh, it’s so pretty.

- Need third party apps to manipulate Microsoft Office documents.

- Battery life is relatively short. You really have to get into the habit of plugging it in whenever you have the chance. Listening to music or watching a video can drain it in a matter of hours.

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sure smells like apple fanboys in here...

Anyway yes the iPhone is all shiny and apple-ish like but the G1 is for enthusiasts

So look at it this way:

If you like apple products, take the iPhone
If you dont like apple products, take the G1.

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wintrale said:
Since the 3.0 firmware thingy came out, the iPhone owns all other phones out there.

so where's the multitasking? Oh noes it doesn't have multitasking....

my nokia 9300 can do this...and it was build 4 years ago (according to #*0000#)!

I don't understand most of your arguments RockmanForte...

just some examples:

1GB memory...you know what a MicroSDHC slot is? it means you can upgrade up to 32 GB when those cards are avaible (now 16GB)
No video shooting...afaik there's a app for this in the android market
trackball...the trackball is optional to the touchscreen and IMO a trackball is excellent
can unlock...what do you mean with this?

and where are your pros?

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
Raki said:
Wintrale said:
Since the 3.0 firmware thingy came out, the iPhone owns all other phones out there.

so where's the multitasking? Oh noes it doesn't have multitasking....

my nokia 9300 can do this...and it was build 4 years ago (according to #*0000#)!

I don't understand most of your arguments RockmanForte...

just some examples:

1GB memory...you know what a MicroSDHC slot is? it means you can upgrade up to 32 GB when those cards are avaible (now 16GB)
No video shooting...afaik there's a app for this in the android market
trackball...the trackball is optional to the touchscreen and IMO a trackball is excellent
can unlock...what do you mean with this?

and where are your pros?

Why buy a 32GB memory card when the iPhone has it built in? The iPhone does have video recording, and unlocking is allowing the phone to be used on a any network. And I can get my iPhone to multitask, if you don't believe me I'll make a video tomorrow.

Face it, the iPhone is the best phone on the market, why else would every other phone be ripping it off left right and centre? And don't say other companies aren't ripping it off, I can find 10 phones that do.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
RockmanForte said:
Well... Here:

G1:

cons --

Physical keyboard hard to use... Read More... Read More
- Ability to copy/paste text (limited)
- Can unlock (after 90 days)
- Heavier
- Color options are black and bronze
- Trackball for navigation (awkward)
- 3G network (only in 20 markets)
- Smart-touch interfaces (not multi-touch like iPhone)
- Android Market

Big Cons:

- Inclined base makes typing difficult
- Only 1 GB of memory
- Can’t shoot video
lets see....

- The keyboard is really easy to use, mostly as a thumboard. its far far easier than a useless on screen keyboard with no feedback what so ever.
- It can copy and paste text just fine.
- who needs to unlock, really?
- the weight doesn't really bother me, YMMV
- its available in white, most of the phone is taken up by the screen anyway, and what is wrong with classic black?
- you don't have to use the trackball, everything can be done by the touch screen so its use is entirely optional, but it is surprisingly easy to use once you get used to it.
- can't comment on that one, t-mobile are great in the UK
- as of the cupcake (1.5) operating system update, it is multi touch, and has been multi touch for far longer using custom firmwares.
- what about it? it rocks, and unlike the apple store actually gives you the option of a refund within 24 hours on paid apps.
- It takes micro SD cards, so it can have up to 32gb of storage, and means you can transfer data to the phone with any computer with a SD card reader.
- It can shoot video as of cupcake

the iphone only has pseudo multitasking of preloaded apps, only one third party app can be run at any one time.

QUOTE(MicShadow @ Jun 20 2009, 03:08 PM) Sure smells like apple fanboys in here...

exactly

D

Deleted User

lildaz said:
I'll suggest the iPhone with unlocking to another service. Can't beat apples interface.
yea i agree, but come on its google give them some credit lol

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
WitoRIT92 said:

Oh definitely. For their first phone, it's amazing. The Magic, their second phone, is far better though... So anyone planning to get the G1 should probably just get the Magic instead. For Brits, go to Vodafone. For Canadians, go to Rogers and Americans should go to T-Mobile if they want one.

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wintrale said:
WitoRIT92 said:

Oh definitely. For their first phone, it's amazing. The Magic, their second phone, is far better though... So anyone planning to get the G1 should probably just get the Magic instead. For Brits, go to Vodafone. For Canadians, go to Rogers and Americans should go to T-Mobile if they want one.

what's so much better at the Magic? longer battery life? slimmer?
Well for me it's a deal breaker without a keyboard...

If you just want something slim maybe wait for the Samsung android phone...samsung has a superb quality and a 5 MP LED Flash camera

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Raki said:
Wintrale said:
WitoRIT92 said:

If you just want something slim maybe wait for the Samsung android phone...samsung has a superb quality and a 5 MP LED Flash camera

its not better, its slimmer because it doesn't have a real keyboard. swings and roundabouts if you ask me. personally I prefer the real keyboard, but then again I am used to bulky smartphones. (anyone remember the handspring visor with phone module?)

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
UltraMagnus said:
Raki said:
Wintrale said:
WitoRIT92 said:

its not better, its slimmer because it doesn't have a real keyboard. swings and roundabouts if you ask me. personally I prefer the real keyboard, but then again I am used to bulky smartphones. (anyone remember the handspring visor with phone module?)

well the g1 isn't thicker than my 9300...it isn't the smallest smartphone out there, but it has a keyboard + touchscreen

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
The keyboard is most certainly not easy to use, and one of the main reasons I didn't look into getting a G1. There's a big mother f***er of a lump in the way, stopping your right thumb from being able to reach anything.
Dylaan said:
Jailbroken iPhone 3G(S) and your life is complete.
Indeed, but no exploit for the 3GS has been found yet.

CyberFish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finishoff said:
Jailbroken iphone is the best imo. The limitations with the non-jailbroken iphone makes the phone completely useless.

When the iphone first came out this statement was true. Very true. There was no app store, there was no real way to add more to the phone. However, with the introduction to the app store, you can pretty much do everything (even for free with lite versions of apps) with the phone without jailbreaking it. I just upgraded to 3.0 and lost my jailbroken options. So in reality, I lost my pretty background, and different sounds. The gain was however, worth it IMO.

Also, it seems like there are "fanboys" and haters. Interesting when you think about it.
rolleyes.gif

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally I like the iPhone over the g1 I have the iPhone and it's a pretty beast phone when you jailbreak it but currently there's no jail break for the iPhone os 3.0 for windows users that is. Mac users have it but quickpwn is supposed to be coming out this Friday hopefully. If I were you I would get an iPhone 3g becaus I have the first gen iPhone and edge fuckin sucks. You won't need the 3g s all the features that are in the 3g s are feature that you can get by jailbreaking like video camera and mms but mms is supposed to be available this summer to all iPhones officially. I have used a g1 but I will admit it's a really good phone but it seems a little too complicated even for me that's really into advanced thing like idk modding all sorts if electonic devices to do more.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: btw bc my sup m3 is dead im gonna use its sd card to mod my dsi